Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how do i tether my iphone to my ipad?

Default how do i tether my iphone to my ipad?
    i have the iphone 3 and the ipad 2wi-fi only. my iphone is jailbroken and i have cydia and downloaded mywi for $20. can i tether my phone to the ipad without having to pay for a plan through at&t?

No you need data in order to tether.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

You have to have a data plan but you don't need tethering option from AT&T.

as you have jailbroken your iphone, grab MyWi or PdaNet (I personally recommend using the PdaNet because it has the an option to hide your tethering usage from carrier, MyWi doesn't have that option*

Quote Originally Posted by rain111 View Post
    as you have jailbroken your iphone, grab MyWi or PdaNet (I personally recommend using the PdaNet because it has the an option to hide your tethering usage from carrier, MyWi doesn't have that option*
    Silly question....why hide from carrrier? I tether laptop and ipad2 to iPhone4's 3G using mywi on demand when at work. I'm curious because maybe I dont need the 4GB plan. Thnx!

Data plans are not tethering plans, the carrier charge for tethering as seperate plan to suck money out off customers, thats why I suggested hiding your usage with PdaNet... So you use the 4gb net plan you have already without being charged extra for tethering plan...

Quote Originally Posted by rain111 View Post
    Data plans are not tethering plans, the carrier charge for tethering as seperate plan to suck money out off customers, thats why I suggested hiding your usage with PdaNet... So you use the 4gb net plan you have already without being charged extra for tethering plan...
    When i was on the 200 MB plan i had no issues, just luck? (I only went to 4GB to avoid overages) or is tether usage more of an issue with unlimited plans? Thnx again!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The issue is recently AT&T has been hounding people who tether without adding the extra $20 tethering option onto their plans. I've heard PDAnet hides it from AT&T but I've also heard someone still got a notice from AT&T when using PDAnet.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    The issue is recently AT&T has been hounding people who tether without adding the extra $20 tethering option onto their plans. I've heard PDAnet hides it from AT&T but I've also heard someone still got a notice from AT&T when using PDAnet.
    Thx for the explanation