Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should I get an iPad2?

Question Should I get an iPad2?
    Hello all, I currently have an iPad (32GB wi-fi only) which hasn't given me any problems at all, but I want to sell it and get an iPad2. I already know all the tech specs and features of the iPad2...but is it really worth it if I have an iPad already? I already have a few people interested in my iPad, so that won't be a problem. But I've been reading about the backlight bleeding and other issues the iPad2 has, and I just wanted to make sure before I sell mine to get a new one. Any ideas, suggestions, tips...?

Thanks in advance!
    27" iMac: Quad-Core 2.93GHz i7 & 16GB RAM
    iPhone 4S: 64GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPad 2: 32GB iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Touch 3rd Gen iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken
    iPod Classic (thick) 160GB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

well i dont have an iPad 2 but from what i heard. it is a major improvement,..
    the speed and all.. so iwould say yea

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I've had both and I say hands down yes! The double ram is needed with multitalking. The faster processor makes pages render so much faster. Even though the screen is technically the same resolution the iPad 2 seems to be much better quality... I never notice pixalization like I did on my iPad 1.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the A5's speed; that's the main reason why I want one. The cameras and slim form factor influence my desire a little bit, but I don't see those as must-have features.

The only "problem" I see with the iPad2 is that I can't seem to find any good covers/cases. The Smart Covers are cool, but they leave the back open for scratches. I saw the Otterbox (I have one of my iPhone and on my iPad too) but I have how it looks for the iPad2 (besides it's on preorder) and makes the device so much bulkier and heavier...And I don't want to dish out $100 for a leather folio-style case (I love those, but I don't have the money right now).

Any ideas about this?

At this point I'm 90% convinced of getting one...
    Last edited by iTouch-Warrior; 2011-05-12 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

@ touch-warrior

It is available and doesn't add a lot of bulk. It is out of stock at the moment but it is what I am getting for my iPad 2 w/smart cover.
    Incipio iPad 2 Smart feather Ultralight Hard Shell Case, iPad 2 Cases, iPad 2G Cases, iPad Accessories, iPad Covers, iPad Skins, iPad Hard Shell Cases, iPad 2 Protectors

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Maybe wait for a jb to be available if jailbreaking is a must for you. Rumor has it it is coming, but it's a rumor.

But if I had an iPad I would go for the iPad 2 jailbreak or not just bc it's awesome and eventually a jb will come along lol.

I just pulled the trigger on getting a new iPad2, and I had the same arguments about the smart cover. It really depends on how you value space, and computing power; How Big/Fast do you want to spend? I travel all over the world and need compact, with a ton of space (for various business apps such as Pages, Keynote, etc.) that it was completely justified. Facetime meetings are also a good way to get brownie points with the big-wigs back at the office.

Though I did get the smart cover, I found it no big deal to just grab a $5 neoprene quick-sleeve from eBay. The way I see it, if I'm using the smart cover, it will only be covered a short time, say perhaps during take-off or landing of a plane, where I will be using it again shortly. If I have to tuck it away, it's not biggie to unfold a neoprene sleeve, as they're so tiny and flexible, they can go just about anywhere.

Remember, they're still relatively "new" and thus cases are not going to be cheap anytime soon if you're looking for something "Business Grade", you might have to bite the bullet and settle for a sleeve inside your briefcase/travel bag like I did for the time being. I try to be very careful and avoid the need for otter box scenarios with my electronics.

Well, I did bite the bullet today. I sold my iPad to a friend and ordered the iPad2 from the Apple Online Store and I also got the 30-Pin to HDMI cable. And I ended up buying an Otterbox...

I saw some pretty sweet leather cases and a lot of great looking sleeves, but I feel a lot safer with an "always-on" kind of case. I use the iPad mostly for entertainment and light word processing tasks for my work, so I don't have much trouble with space. I still don't like how the Otterbox for iPad2 looks, but I guess I would've ended up buying it anyway like I did with my other iPad.

Function over form I suppose. I prefer to stay sleek, but I completely understand the need to "feel safe". I dare not ever take my 3GS out of its Otterbox while at work. I feel that the iPad2 Otterbox makes it too clunky, but then again if you're coming from an iPad 1g, I suppose you're used to that amount of 'clunk'

As far as cases go, keep tabs on Daily Deals, 1 Sale A Day

I've seen iPad2 cases for really good prices, though they go fast. Be sure to keep your eye out on woot.com too!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peauxdunk For This Useful Post:

iTouch-Warrior (2011-05-17)

Yup, I'm used to having a bulky piece of clunk for an iPad...heh heh...

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by iTouch-Warrior View Post
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the A5's speed; that's the main reason why I want one. The cameras and slim form factor influence my desire a little bit, but I don't see those as must-have features.

The only "problem" I see with the iPad2 is that I can't seem to find any good covers/cases. The Smart Covers are cool, but they leave the back open for scratches. I saw the Otterbox (I have one of my iPhone and on my iPad too) but I have how it looks for the iPad2 (besides it's on preorder) and makes the device so much bulkier and heavier...And I don't want to dish out $100 for a leather folio-style case (I love those, but I don't have the money right now).

Any ideas about this?

At this point I'm 90% convinced of getting one...
    I picked up this from eBay for $15, with free shipping. It claims its leather, and i haven't found any reason to think otherwise. It's not Italian lambskin quality, but come'on, it was only $15.

It works perfectly, is very sturdy and provides great protection. It also has the smart-cover magnets in it, so that's a plus.

There are times I wish I had just a smartcover, so I could enjoy the sveltness of the thing, but truly, i'm happy with this folio cover.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepshots View Post
    I picked up this from eBay for $15, with free shipping. It claims its leather, and i haven't found any reason to think otherwise. It's not Italian lambskin quality, but come'on, it was only $15.

It works perfectly, is very sturdy and provides great protection. It also has the smart-cover magnets in it, so that's a plus.

There are times I wish I had just a smartcover, so I could enjoy the sveltness of the thing, but truly, i'm happy with this folio cover.
    That case looks sexy! But I already bought the Otterbox .

Semms you are willing to get the iPad 2, if you can afford it, then go to it.
    But this review might can give you more insights: iPad 2 review | Electricpig
    Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.
    How to Delete Duplicates in iPhoto

Thank you Janet55 for the Review. Now I'm really excited about getting my iPad2! Sadly, it will ship on June 6...So I have 3 more weeks of waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by iTouch-Warrior View Post
    Thank you Janet55 for the Review. Now I'm really excited about getting my iPad2! Sadly, it will ship on June 6...So I have 3 more weeks of waiting...
    Dude, seriously: http://modmyi.com/forums/general-ipa...ure-lucky.html

The iPad 2 is great...unless you already have the first one.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I upgraded from the iPad to the iPad 2 and I really like it. I recommend the Incase Magazine jacket. It covers the front and back, keeps the iPad slim and has several different viewing angles. Incase had the folding front cover before anyone else (even the Apple Smart Cover is a knock off of the Incase design, which was avaliable for the iPad 1 long before the iPad 2 came out). You can buy a smart cover and a snap on case for the back and you'll have pretty much the Incase Magazine Jacket. The only advantage to the Smart Cover is the magnets that turn the screen on and off.
    Devices: iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1 (old boot ROM), iPad 2 64GB/3G/4.10.01 iOS 4.3.3, Android and WM phones as well

Well, I got my iPad2 last Saturday (finally) and I love this thing! Sadly I can't say the same for the Otterbox.

This Otterbox is flimsy, ugly and doesn't look half as protective as any other Defender. The screen protector was cut wrong and even after applying it perfectly aligned with the iPad, as soon as I clicked the plastic parts of the case together the film got scrunched up and filled with air bubbles. The rubber is floppy and doesn't quite fit snugly, specially near the home button. And to top it off the headphone jack cover pops up like a hood... I contacted Otterbox about the issue and a very nice representative told me they could send me a replacement screen protector, but as soon as I replied I got an automated notification saying that that person "doesn't exist"; which is interesting because I got an email from him 20 minutes before that. I contacted customer support once more and I'm still waiting for a response. So I guess this is the last Otterbox I buy ever again. I wasted $90 on a piece of plastic and rubber that doesn't even try to work as it should.

Aside from that, the iPad is awesome! It runs smoothly and the screen is brighter than the first one. The best part is that mine didn't come with the dreaded "light bleed" issue. I do have to say that I'm not very excited about the cameras...They take great video clips, but they SUCK with still pictures. My 11-year old Kodak Easyshare camera takes better pictures; but I didn't buy an iPad2 to get pictures (way too big). Anyway, I'm loving my new iPad2 and I'm eagerly waiting for a jailbreak for it .

Does anyone have any different thoughts or opinions about their iPad2?

Glad you got it! And love it very much!
    Well, for iPad2, here is a cool list of apps, free&shareware, but amazing!
    Best iPad 2 apps - Pocket-lint
    Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.
    How to Delete Duplicates in iPhoto

Wow! Thanks a lot for the link! Those apps look great. I did have Garageband, iMovie and Real Racing 2, but there is a lot left to discover .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast