Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Purchase iPad now or wait for ipad2?

Default Purchase iPad now or wait for ipad2?
    I am looking to purchase a new iPad for myself. I am a student at college so I was wondering if any others are using this device as a note taking one as well as managing time? How is it working out?

Also does it make sense for me to buy the iPad now or wait till a new model is announced? I am looking at the wifi 16 gig one as I have an iPhone with mywi for tethering. Any advice?

iPhone? More like MyPhone cg118's Avatar
    Thanks

I would say it's worth getting one now as so many people still want one why would apple bring out a new one so soon.
    I have the wifi only model and use it with Mywi it works fine. Notes are fine.
    Also now I have an iPad I don't use my laptop at all, it's totally worth it.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 2010-09-20 at 04:54 AM. Reason: blah
    If this helps please click thanks

I would suggest waiting until the new one with (hopefully) a retina display and facetime comes out. I have a 3G model now and I love it to death, but I'll undoubtedly have to upgrade once the new one comes in if it has facetime.

iPhone? More like MyPhone cg118's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cybereclipse View Post
    I would suggest waiting until the new one with (hopefully) a retina display and facetime comes out. I have a 3G model now and I love it to death, but I'll undoubtedly have to upgrade once the new one comes in if it has facetime.
    Yes but if apple are still selling loads of iPads and they are, they are are going to keep selling the current model why bring out a new model all ready. I think it will be a while before we see a new model some countries have only just got it so I can't see a new model in the near future.
    If this helps please click thanks

usually i check here: Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

but since the iPad is in it's first product cycle, its not available yet.
    Like I said, I love my iPad, and I'm fortunate enough to have a job that allows me to upgrade to the newest tech when I want it

As I recall, the iPad came out in April and looking at the iPhone and iPod, these devices are usually swapped out in around 240 days from release which leaves us 6 more months til its probably updated.

If the OP can wait, I'd suggest always waiting for the new one and pre-ordering it, but if he wants one now, then I go for it!

I'm a student and use mine all the time, especially iStudiez it really nice reminds you of assignments and courses. I have an iMac too so I can sync all my Pages documents.
    Do you have any other computer?

iPhone? More like MyPhone psilocybin's Avatar
    Thanks

Go for it. I love mine

Quote Originally Posted by zoso10 View Post
    I'm a student and use mine all the time, especially iStudiez it really nice reminds you of assignments and courses.
    hehe me too, but i use coursenotes

coursenotes? Hmm haven't even heard of it, I'll definitely try it out.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cg118 View Post
    One thing I would say is the apps are so much more expensive than on the iPhone.
    Edit....
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 2010-09-20 at 05:03 AM. Reason: blah

Thanks

Like everyone has already said, I highly doubt Apple will release the 2nd Gen iPad anytime soon. The sales for iPads currently are very successful. I myself bought the 64GB 3G iPad when it first came out, therefore having the Unlimited Data plan which was awesome. Couldn't keep paying the $30 a month and it would be pointless to me to pay $27 for only 2GB of Data. So, I sold it. But to be honest, I'm a Freshman in college and it was really awesome. It's totally worth it for schoolwork and notes,etc. It's not like you're going to be playing hardcore games during class.
    All in all, if you're fine with the 2GB Data a month, then go for it. But personally I was using 15GB + of Data a month.
    3.08.09 <3
    Macbook Pro 15" i7 8GB RAM 500GB SSD HD
    iPhone 3G 3.1.3 T-Mobile

15GB+ of data?!?! That's a lot of pr0n, just kidding.
    I knew I'd go crazy if I had 3G model so I just bought the wifi model and share my ethernet connection from my iMac to it through web sharing.

I love my iPad. I bring it pretty much everywhere with me, due to the 3G. There will no doubt be a second gen iPad next year, probably announced in January. Yes, iPad sales are doing great, but that won't stop apple from adding three features and calling it "magical just got a little more magicalial times infinity". The nice thing is that your iPad will hold most, if not all, of it's value come resell time, so there is little risk involved here. Go for it, join the club! You will not be sorry. My ipad is my primary machine. I sync it monthly, for backups sake. Otherwise, I use it because it is about as ultraportable as it gets!
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

I say go for it. A new one will be announced in Q1 next year, but consider 2 factors:

1. Do you want to use it this school year? If yes, get it.
    2. The new update's key features will be retina display and MAYBE face time. Do you really need a slightly better screen and a web cam? If no, then buy now.

When the time does come to upgrade, you can always sell your old iPad. My guess is the most you'll lose on it is $100-150 if you keep it in good condition.

As for some other people in this thread, I have no clue how you could use the iPad as your main computer. I think it's a pretty good piece of gear, but the lack of mouse and a proper OS really kills me. I suppose, it would be great for college students.

Also, there is no way you're going to see a new iPad get debuted before the end of the year. The hype on the iPad is selling itself. It's already going to be one of the top Christmas gifts this year, so they can afford to sit back and watch the money roll in on the current model. Once everybody has one and sales slow down a tad, that's when it is time as a company to quit holding back on the punches and drop a new model that everyone just has to have. It's basic economics and business.

Debuting a new model so soon would be a disaster.
    Last edited by somethingblue; 2010-09-22 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somethingblue View Post
    When the time does come to upgrade, you can always sell your old iPad. My guess is the most you'll lose on it is $100-150 if you keep it in good condition.
    This is correct. Even buying one now you can always resale it. Apple products hold a high resale value and often times you don't lose much money when upgrading to the next models.

I do this with the iPhones already and plan on doing it with the iPads too.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Well I would wait. a. theres not enough RAM in the current model. b. there may very well be a new model soon. c. if you wait youll be able to get the first gen cheaper. but the ultimate decider for me is if i got one now, i would be obsessed, like i am with my iphone, and i would need the newest models and all the updates right away. i see alot of advantages with theipad over my iphone, such as html/css editing on the train, but if i wait, i will delay my obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    This is correct. Even buying one now you can always resale it. Apple products hold a high resale value and often times you don't lose much money when upgrading to the next models.

I do this with the iPhones already and plan on doing it with the iPads too.
    Acually JUST SAYINGGGG, i bought in iphone 4 couple days ago for 625. then i sold it for 750 so yeppp, apple products dont lost their value if theyre kept in good condition!

I was in the same boat as you. I didn't know If I should have waited or not. Obviously I couldn't wait. Like other posters were saying, I'm sure the new iPad isn't gonna have any new features besides retina and a cam. And the way the iPad is right now, you'll be waiting a long time for the new one once it drops. Took me 3 weeks to get this iPad when it first came out.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Buy now, sell just before the release of the new model = upgrade for next to nothing.

Thanks

Well I brought my 16gb wifi model for 300 and obviously it still has apple care because it has a dent on back. I dnt care cos I use a case but I plan to swap it out soon. Ps it really is worth getting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast