Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sync iPad takes ages!

Banned
    Thanks

Default Sync iPad takes ages!
    I've updated to the latest itunes.
    The iPad is still on 3.2 firmware

When it syncs it takes about 2 hours just to do the backup. If I cancel the backup it takes about 1 min unless anything new gets installed then it takes a few mins.

WHY does it do a full, long backup everytime it syncs?
    If I let it do the backup it will sync in about 1 min as long as it stays connected via USB but it goes back to the 2 hour sync everytime I unplug then plug it in.

What kind of apps do you have installed on your iPad? Cydia and App Store please.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I never do backup its dumb cuz when I restore I never restore from backup, anyways if you have more than 10GB then ya it will take hours to do it, my iphone had a lot 15GB xP i always canceled the backup ,too long.
    Please press the Thanks button if I ever helped, you'd be helping me

Banned
    Thanks

My iPhone 3G 16GB usually has 1gb free so its got about 14Gb of stuff on it and that syncs in about 2 mins.
    My daughters iPhone 2G 8GB also has about 1 gb free and that syncs the fastest in about 1 min.

No matter what I do the iPad syncs in about an hour at least. It's 64GB and its got about 4GB free. Mainly itunes apps. I think there are about 2 cydia apps on it.
    If I cancel the backup at the start it syncs in about 2 mins.

What is that backup for anyway? If nothing changes why does it take so long?
    Example, I let it sync and it finishes. I straight away unplug it then plug it back in and the sync will take over an hour again. Nothing has changed and it just finished the backup.

do you have Zinnio? The new update indicates that it no longer backs up in iTunes for to complaintso about how long it took. I haven't backed I up since but hope that helps. Otherwise no more backups.

How about this: If you don't mind, list your installed app store applications. Perhaps we could point out one or more that have large backups.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Also what type of computer do you have it plugged into? On some PCs if you use a utility to bump your USB port power up, it can drop the data speed down to USB 1 speeds.

Previous post is right though, listing all of your installed apps would help. There are several apps that can consume lots of backup space, especially ones that have their own media library such as ebook, magazine, or comic book readers.

I've also noticed that backups sometimes slow down over time on some devices for no good reason, and I blame itunes. Have you looked at it's backup folders? Why do I need 5000 tiny randomly named files to backup my device that has 20 apps and 100 mp3s? I have a USB port that lets me monitor activity, and during those random slow 30 minute backups i can see that hardly any data is going back and forth, my processor is idle, and my hard drive only gets a blink of activity every 10 seconds. I even saw a time lapsed video of an overnight 8 hour backup someone went through once. Some simple math tells you that for most of that time, nothing is happening.

Sometimes just getting the backup completed once fixes it, and subsequent backups are faster, but if that doesn't work a fresh restore (not from backup) pretty much always makes it like new... Until you install the thing that brings the problem back

I just upgraded my ipad to 4.2.1 and used redsn0w to tethered jailbreak. I got good news, my backup used to take 24+ hours to finish now only took about 3 mins. I checked the backup files and Apple now used the iphone type to do the backup, not the other mdinfo type. So Apple did realize they did something wrong and correct it.