Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: good enough?

Default good enough?
    I'll try to be brief, but i'm looking for your opinion. I travel alot and i'm in the situation of replacing my old vista machine with an apple. I'd rather not replace it with a power book as i would prefer an imac at home. But i'd like to suppliment that with an ipad for when i'm away.

When i travel i use my notebook mostly for movies and music. But occasionally i use office type programs. Do you think the ipad is sufficient to use as a stop gap when you're traveling, or should i go with the powerbook and wait for apple to create skynet in a few years so i can finally have al lthe products i want in one?

Thanks

If all you need it for is movies and music with the occasional office type programmes you will be fine with the iPad.

Quickoffice is the best office app I have found for the iPad / iPhone, and if the storage space of the ipad itself isn't enoh for your media consumption then you can use the USB camera connection kit and a USB ha drive with as many .mp4 video files and audio files as you can fit on there and watch / listen to them through ifile.

If you leave your imac on at home you can vnc into it remotely using a programme like and can even share files larger than email attachment allowances using dropbox.

In other words, the iPad can do all you want and a hell of allot more.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Might you consider that the iPad lackd USB ports and a CD/DVD drive. It also doesnt support flash content. If any of those are important to you, then consider another option. If not, then the iPad is a fun and portable and great entertainment/productivity device.

No, keep the notebook.
    Ipad is extremely annoying to use while on a plane. you have to keep it on the little board where you keep your food to actually use. Memory/Storage wise its perfect, but comfort wise its terrible.

I'm curious why holding it is seemingly so difficult while sitting on a plane?

PS-A good case resolves virtually all ergonomic, stand, etc. issues.

An iPad with mobile me would probably be perfect for you.

Thanks

Lol, where the hell do you put your notebook when on a plane that is superior to the fold down table? And ye, a good case solves that issue

Suck it up, Sucker

Ipad sounds perfect for the OP. It's great for media consumption, and also good for web browsing. I've really found that the only sites at are completely flash based are just the Facebook games and some niche sites. About 98% of the sites I frequent only use flash for intrusive advertising. Its actually kind of nice not having to deal with those ads.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Thanks for responding. I'm likin the insight. One other question. About how large seethe movie files on iTunes for ipad? I work on ships. So whenni leave I'll likely not be able to connect to my mobile me for a while. I'd like to be able to load some movies and books. Enough for a couple months.

Other consideration. I'm thinking illnave to get a laptop. Many places I've been (Kenya, Somalia, Egypt) the only chance for Internet is buying or rentig a vodaphone or mobinil wireless USB. And I don't think it's likely I'll be able to get those aim cards to activate on the ipad.
    Last edited by yeehawherb; 2010-06-19 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

The movie size depends on the quality of the films. Mine come out at about 600mb per normal film. If your away for a couple months you could buy a USB hard drive, load some .mp4 films on it and plug the USB hard drive into the camera connection kit and watch the films using ifile from cydia. That makes your storage space infinitly more than just the iPad and your not limited to synced files aswell

Suck it up, Sucker