View Poll Results: I think...

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's definitely heavy / incomfortable. If it existed, I'd pay extra cash for a "lighter" model.

11 18.33%
  • Yes, it's hefty, but it never felt incomfortable, even though I use it a lot.

21 35.00%
  • I never really thought about its weight. Anyway, for me it's just fine.

22 36.67%
  • Actually, I always considered my iPad so light that it's almost unbelievable

2 3.33%
  • I don't own an iPad / I never held one in my hands / I only held one briefly

4 6.67%

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: YOUR Opinion: Is the iPad too heavy? Just fine? Too light, perhaps? ;-)

Thanks

Arrow YOUR Opinion: Is the iPad too heavy? Just fine? Too light, maybe?
    "What is iPad? iPad is thin. iPad is beautiful. [...]" says Apple in its TV commercial. On the website, waxing goes further, where the iPad weighs in at "[...] just 1.5 lbs." I agree with the thin = beautiful part (any girls on this forum? You did eat today, right?) but using the word "just" in the same sentence with "1.5 lbs" doesn't sound very natural.

What is YOUR opinion about the weight of this thing? Please vote in the poll and / or leave a comment on the subject. FREE THANKS for everyone posting! :-)
    Last edited by flix; 2010-06-04 at 07:35 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone VaderForce's Avatar
    Thanks

I do about 1hr of reading on the train on my way to work & watch movies on it too, if I'm holding it away from my body it's does get heavy. I think when you hold it still whilst using the iPad you feel the weight, not thrashing it around playing NFS Shift!.
    =Is the quality of your life, the outcome of your own thoughts?=

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VaderForce For This Useful Post:

flix (2010-06-04)

Thanks

The weight is not a problem, the iPad is not too heavy IMO. It is an uncomfortable form factor though, feels awkward holding something this shape but i guess that will change in time.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

flix (2010-06-04)

I've found that a good case makes all the difference. Obviously it adds a bit of weight, but having areas you can get a genuine grip on is extremely helpful. The wife's isn't in a case, and I really don't like using it much. I'm always fearful of dropping it, never get a solid grip and pretty much have to sit with it like the shoeless people in the commercials.

In my Sena case though, it really opens things up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ClerkDante For This Useful Post:

flix (2010-06-04)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Don't have an issue with it's weight, I like that it has some substance to it.

By the way, for future reference: it's "uncomfortable".

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nequam For This Useful Post:

flix (2010-06-04)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nequam View Post
    Don't have an issue with it's weight, I like that it has some substance to it.
    I totally expected that some will actually feel this way; at the same time however, I believe it has a lot to do with the usage scenarios that vary widely among users. Would you like to briefly describe your preferred way of using / holding the device?

By the way, for future reference: it's "uncomfortable".
    Ah, the ESL! I still don't understand why I spelled it like that and I could probably argue that the "I" key is right next to the "U" key but, come on... twice?

I use my iPad every hour of everyday since I got on the 30th of april. But I noticed that my iPhone feels like a candy bar in my hands since I got my iPad. It could be a little lighter

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bignighttrain For This Useful Post:

flix (2010-06-04)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flix View Post
    I totally expected that some will actually feel this way; at the same time however, I believe it has a lot to do with the usage scenarios that vary widely among users. Would you like to briefly describe your preferred way of using / holding the device?

Ah, the ESL! I still don't understand why I spelled it like that and I could probably argue that the "I" key is right next to the "U" key but, come on... twice?
    Pretty much every way possible (including lying on my back in bed) except for whilst walking (I'm just not coordinated enough to do that even with a normal phone). lol
    The fact that I have decent sized hands and long fingers is probably why I have little trouble. The only time I have any issues with holding it is when I have sweaty hands.

Haha! I used to do the same error with "unbelievable" when I was a kid. :-)

too heavy.....too awkward

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm fine with the weight, its just a bit awkward to hold without a case because my thumb (maybe im just fat) always end up creeping into the edge of the multi-touch field and gets registered as another finger on the screen (scrolling --> zooming)

I don't feel the weight until I put it inside my messenger bag. Then I'd feel the weight on my shoulder. I am sporting the Speck CandyShell (in purple) so that could also add a few but have to have a good grip on my device. Can't afford to drop this toy.

I do carry the Macbook around for work and the added iPad into that Targus Bag do strain my shoulder a bit.

When I am carrying it for more than 30 min, I feel my muscle bulging but don't mind a bit with great games however...It started to make me sweat...that is when I put the iPad down & rest.

I guess it's not really a single hand device...at least not for me.

But with the battery so everlasting...I don't complaint!
    iPhone 3G 3.1.3
    iPad WIFI 3.2 + Myfi device

Apple just filled my future where all things are "magical".

However, all the magical ideas are from people & developers like us in this forum.

I find it no more weight than the average paperback and certainly less than a hardback ... and I can hold it in one hand and flip the page with my thumb.

----------------------------------------------------
    iPad WiFi + 3G 64GB | BB 9700 | MBP 15
    homepage

iPhone? More like MyPhone Excel Wiz's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it is a good weight. I prefer electronics with a weight to them. I like the iPhone 4 for the same reason.

MacBook Pro 15" Core i7|4GB|500GB|HiRes
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iPhone 3G 8GB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I didn't even pay attention to the weight really. That was until I read this. I think it's got just enough weight to it to make it feel like it's not going to snap in half. I really like it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't find the iPad too heavy but it can become awkward to hold for over an hour. Longer thumbs would be handy when holding the iPad while typing in landscape.

its fine in my hands.. feels normal and fine..