Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Torn between models because of GPS....need ? answered

Default Torn between models because of GPS....need ? answered
    OK guys, the 3G model comes with "GPS" but the wi-fi doesn't. I keep seeing conflicting reports as to whether the GPS on the 3G version will only work with a cellular connection or not. I really would like GPS but not if I have to pay more monthly dues to AT&T. I already have a 3GS and know I can tether the iPad to it through bluetooth for internet connection but will this also help out in the GPS department somehow? Going tomorrow to pick up my iPad hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayman11 View Post
    I already have a 3GS and know I can tether the iPad to it through bluetooth for internet connection but will this also help out in the GPS department somehow?
    'Splain it to me how BT tether from your 3GS to the iPad works?

oops didn't mean BT, meant wi-fi. sorry. early morning brain fart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayman11 View Post
    oops didn't mean BT, meant wi-fi. sorry. early morning brain fart.
    I'm gonna try it again, but I'm not even sure WiFi tethering will work right now.

Also, GPS on the iPad is supposed to work via the 'Assisted' GPS function the same as on the 3GS.
    GPS will work on the WiFIO iPad, but it's thru WiFI locations, and not as accurat as the cell towers.

Well i will know better tomorrow, my plan was to use PDAnet on my 3GS and turning it onto wifi router mode like i do with my laptop and using it that way to get online.

Yes, tethering using any of the mobile hotspot technologies works fine. But I don't know whether that has any impact on the GPS.

hmmmmm have to throw my 3Gs into router mode while in the apple store tomorrow and see what happens. LOL