Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 48 Hours Later.. my iPad review

Default 48 Hours Later.. my iPad review
    So I've had roughly 48 hours now with my iPad (32gb), and I have used it for probably 24 of those 48 hours. I'm a geek, I admit it. I like new gadgets. I bought the iPad as a potential Kindle replacement, for media viewing/streaming, and for a light web browser. For reference I used my Kindle 3-4 hours a day, every day. I'm an exteremly avid reader. So with these requirements in mind, I wanted to use the heck out of my iPad and decide if it was a keeper.

First I'm starting with eBooks since that was the primary device replacement for me. The iPad is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than the Kindle or the Kindle DX. I can walk into work holding a cup of coffee in one hand and my kindle in the other. Call me a wuss but I don't think I could do that with my iPad. It's just too heavy. I had both my mother and an aunt try it out, both fellow Kindle users. My mom said there was no way she could use it longer term because her hands and wrists were just too weak. My aunt said much the same. Personally I read for about 8 hours on the iPad and found it to be awkward at times. Don't try lying in be holding it in front of your face. Not only is it darn heavy, if you fall asleep you're going to end up with a bloody lip or a chipped tooth. Additionally it's hard to read in bright light. On the plus side it is backlit so I can read in the dark!

As for the books themselves... wonderful. I admit it, I love what they've done. Color, the bookshelf, all of it. I can read my Kindle books, my BN books, my iBooks... I just have to remember where the heck they are. Not having one repository sucks. What I don't like is how a lot of the early stuff is free fluff that I can get anywhere. I also am not sure that I like some publishers turning books into apps. It's cool, but takes up a lot of space and I don't know how long it remains cool So as a pure eBook reader, it is functionally beautiful but practically somewhat difficult to use for extended periods of time.

Now on to media viewing/streaming. In a word, outstanding. Netflix is just too cool. Yes, the Watch Instantly stuff is limited, but there's still a ton of it. The ABC app, while buggy as heck, is a nice touch. Air Video streaming also just plain rocks. The app hasn't been updated for the iPad yet but even the iPhone version blown up to 2x is really, really good. I also loaded up a bunch of digital copy stuff and some transcoded BDs. Marvelous! If we can get Hulu or NBC I'd be thrilled. I know I can stream and rip Hulu, but it is a bit of effort. I'd also love the ability to get ESPN TV somehow. So as a media device, this is going to be great for travel or hanging out somewhere and just wanting to watch some flicks. Like a slow afternoon at work

Finally I wanted a lite web browser. I am one of those guys that likes to always be connected. It's a thing, I can't help it. I use the web on my 3GS all the time. Browsing on the iPad is so much more satisfying. Yes, no flash is a *****. But a lot of sites I visit are already taking action to go HTML5, and so far I really haven't had any problems. I did fail logging in to my company's OWA site but they have since updated it to support the iPad browser string (thanks to me!). I really like the experience. A lot. The keyboard is much, much easier as well. I'd like to see Opera Mini here too.

What I admit to being surprised about is the things I've used it for that I never thought I'd care about. Games are just plain FUN! I love driving that race car. I set it up and used it as a digital picture frame at my parent's house last night during Easter dinner. Everyone loved it. My kids played a game of Scrabble with my wife last night and had a blast. And I've used it for work off and on this morning.

What I don't like... well, a few things. As much as I like the virtual keyboard compard to the iPhone, I am typing this long message on a laptop. I can't imagine doing writing of any length on it without a lot of practice. I don't like that I have no stand for the darn thing (thanks Apple for shipping my case to arrive tomorrow... would have been nice to have it all together!). I should have bought the 64gb model because I obviously use too much resource intensive media files! And most of my apps, at this point, have not been ported over and look stupid when blown up 2x.

So as my wife keeps asking me "Are you going to keep that damn thing or sell it?" I... don't know. I like it. I like it a lot. But I don't need it. So it has to be able to take the place of other devices for me. I need to start doing hand and wrist excercises so I can hold it without strain. We'll see after a week maybe. I have this funny feeling though my iPad will be hanging around the house for a while
    Last edited by madpoet; 2010-04-05 at 03:59 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madpoet For This Useful Post:

DaveiPhone (2010-04-05), iggychins (2010-04-07)

Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful & pragmatic review. Well done!

Wow very well done review!!

Thanks I'll be getting mine this week

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Keep the iPad , it has tons of apps that can be useful , if you have kids , give it to your kids while u r busy , they can sketch, learn abc's ,or watch cartoons

Based on your first few days.... you'll be keeping it. And I'm the same. I wasn't sure, but the more I use it, the more I'm liking it. I did put up a blog post with my own initial review, and typed the whole thing on the iPad. It started off painful, and wasn't so terrible by the end. Lots of typos, but I'm still getting used to it.

I did notice that it's heavy to read with, I wound up resting it on the bed at a diagonal and locking the screen in portrait. Worked fine for me.

Great review, thanks for sharing your experiences so far.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madpoet View Post
    So I've had roughly 48 hours now with my iPad (32gb), and I have used it for probably 24 of those 48 hours. I'm a geek, I admit it. I like new gadgets. I bought the iPad as a potential Kindle replacement, for media viewing/streaming, and for a light web browser. For reference I used my Kindle 3-4 hours a day, every day. I'm an exteremly avid reader. So with these requirements in mind, I wanted to use the heck out of my iPad and decide if it was a keeper.

First I'm starting with eBooks since that was the primary device replacement for me. The iPad is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than the Kindle or the Kindle DX. I can walk into work holding a cup of coffee in one hand and my kindle in the other. Call me a wuss but I don't think I could do that with my iPad. It's just too heavy. I had both my mother and an aunt try it out, both fellow Kindle users. My mom said there was no way she could use it longer term because her hands and wrists were just too weak. My aunt said much the same. Personally I read for about 8 hours on the iPad and found it to be awkward at times. Don't try lying in be holding it in front of your face. Not only is it darn heavy, if you fall asleep you're going to end up with a bloody lip or a chipped tooth. Additionally it's hard to read in bright light. On the plus side it is backlit so I can read in the dark!

As for the books themselves... wonderful. I admit it, I love what they've done. Color, the bookshelf, all of it. I can read my Kindle books, my BN books, my iBooks... I just have to remember where the heck they are. Not having one repository sucks. What I don't like is how a lot of the early stuff is free fluff that I can get anywhere. I also am not sure that I like some publishers turning books into apps. It's cool, but takes up a lot of space and I don't know how long it remains cool So as a pure eBook reader, it is functionally beautiful but practically somewhat difficult to use for extended periods of time.

Now on to media viewing/streaming. In a word, outstanding. Netflix is just too cool. Yes, the Watch Instantly stuff is limited, but there's still a ton of it. The ABC app, while buggy as heck, is a nice touch. Air Video streaming also just plain rocks. The app hasn't been updated for the iPad yet but even the iPhone version blown up to 2x is really, really good. I also loaded up a bunch of digital copy stuff and some transcoded BDs. Marvelous! If we can get Hulu or NBC I'd be thrilled. I know I can stream and rip Hulu, but it is a bit of effort. I'd also love the ability to get ESPN TV somehow. So as a media device, this is going to be great for travel or hanging out somewhere and just wanting to watch some flicks. Like a slow afternoon at work

Finally I wanted a lite web browser. I am one of those guys that likes to always be connected. It's a thing, I can't help it. I use the web on my 3GS all the time. Browsing on the iPad is so much more satisfying. Yes, no flash is a *****. But a lot of sites I visit are already taking action to go HTML5, and so far I really haven't had any problems. I did fail logging in to my company's OWA site but they have since updated it to support the iPad browser string (thanks to me!). I really like the experience. A lot. The keyboard is much, much easier as well. I'd like to see Opera Mini here too.

What I admit to being surprised about is the things I've used it for that I never thought I'd care about. Games are just plain FUN! I love driving that race car. I set it up and used it as a digital picture frame at my parent's house last night during Easter dinner. Everyone loved it. My kids played a game of Scrabble with my wife last night and had a blast. And I've used it for work off and on this morning.

What I don't like... well, a few things. As much as I like the virtual keyboard compard to the iPhone, I am typing this long message on a laptop. I can't imagine doing writing of any length on it without a lot of practice. I don't like that I have no stand for the darn thing (thanks Apple for shipping my case to arrive tomorrow... would have been nice to have it all together!). I should have bought the 64gb model because I obviously use too much resource intensive media files! And most of my apps, at this point, have not been ported over and look stupid when blown up 2x.

So as my wife keeps asking me "Are you going to keep that damn thing or sell it?" I... don't know. I like it. I like it a lot. But I don't need it. So it has to be able to take the place of other devices for me. I need to start doing hand and wrist excercises so I can hold it without strain. We'll see after a week maybe. I have this funny feeling though my iPad will be hanging around the house for a while
    Not to seem like a jerk, but that line made me LOL. 1.5 pounds "too heavy"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DC5iPhone View Post
    Not to seem like a jerk, but that line made me LOL. 1.5 pounds "too heavy"
    It's obviously a relative statement.

What's Jailbreak? thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

You still have time to take it back to Apple and get a refund if you want...

1.5 pounds compared to the 10oz Kindle is heavy I have continued to use it quite a bit the last few days, and will continue to do so. More and more I'm thinking I need the 3g version. Tethering to my Palm Pre sucks, which is more a limitation of the Palm Pre than of the iPad. I expect I will keep it though, especially once the jailbreak happens and it opens up a little more. I have been very disapointed with the selection of iBooks but thankfully the Kindle app works nicely. They should spice it up a bit for the iPad but for now I'm good. I have seen WiFi weirdness... my signal strength seems to fluctuate a lot.

1.5 pounds is too heavy, for longer reading. I have both an iPad and Kindle 2 and the iPad couldn't be used for reading in bed in the same manner I do with the Kindle.

Overall the iPad is much more clumsy due to the additional weight, size, and overall balance to use in portrait mode during a long term reading session than the Kindle. I only find it comfortable enough when I balance it in landscape mode on my belly while reading in bed.

On the other hand it is so much more capable, that I know the Kindle is going to get much less use now that there is this new toy in the house.