Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOW TO] Turn your WIFI iPad into a 3G iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default [HOW TO] Turn your WIFI iPad into a 3G iPad
    Hi, i do not know if ther is anothert tutorial like this one already available, so i go ahead and post this anyways.

like most of you who bought the iPad the day it came out and used it, loved it! My biggest problem is that i drive around a lot! And am not always in a WIFI spot. So I immediately set my mind to buying the 3G iPad. But after some researching i found a cheap alternative olution.

You need:

1. iPad.
    2. Jail broken iPhone 3G or 3GS. (I used a 3GS)
    3. Data plan with unlimited data option.
    4 Mophie Juice Pack Air (Optional)

Open up ROCK my app instead of Cydia. If you do not have ROCK my app. You can install it from here

Get Rocking

The reason i am suggesting you use ROCK instead of Cydia is because i used Cydia to first download and install the application required to tether the iPhone and it did not work! It kept crashing on startup After serval failed attempts I download it from ROCK. After opening ROCK! Goto search and type in "MYWI". What MYWI does is that it allows you to take your iPhones 3G connection and share it through the WIFI that is on the iPhone. Like what a router does The costs $9.99. But you get free 9 days trail.

Launch MIWI, the program is VERY straight forward. Only setup that is required is you can change the SSID (Wireless name) to whatever you like, or leave it as is. And you can encrypt your WIFI with a WEP key. From there onwards you just switch the "WIFI Tethering" from OFF to ON. Wait until you see a BLUE BAR, similar to when you tether to your desktop / laptop appear at the top. That blue bar also shows how much data in MB you have sent and recieved. Now you are god to go!!

Turn on, or unlock your iPad. Goto settings -> WIFI -> select the wireless network you have just created on the iPhone. That is it! You are good to go. VERY simple and straight forward. Requirement no 4 above is because is Program does drain your battery more then normal usage. I use the Mophie juice pack and got through today, which was filled with constant tethering, fine. Now in the programs details it says you can lock the iPhone and continue using the MWWI program. But i ran into a few problems each time i locked it. So what i do is always leave the iPhone unlocked. But i turned the screen brightness all the way down. You can test it out and play around with this. I am just explaining what i did. YouTube, browsing the web all worked very smoothly with very little delays and holdups, i was actually VERY impressed on how fast webpages like Facebook opened up! Same thing with YouTube Videos Hope this helps. Enjoy your now 3G iPads!!

Thanks

I have an iPhone 3G , you forgot to mention that if you t-mobile as a carrier , they will not provide 3G service to your iPhone , it did not work for me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mytran80 For This Useful Post:

therockk (2010-04-06)

Thanks

Hi, sorry for not mentioning that. I am in Canada so i didn't know. Why don't they provide 3G service to the iPhones?

[QUOTE=mytran80;5186341]I have an iPhone 3G , you forgot to mention that if you t-mobile as a carrier , they will not provide 3G service to your iPhone , it did not work for me[/QUOTE

Thanks

And if u want a smooth ride u can install MyWi Rock which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better

As an FYI, tethering using my Verizon Palm Pre and the Mobile Hotspot sucked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madpoet View Post
    As an FYI, tethering using my Verizon Palm Pre and the Mobile Hotspot sucked.
    Haaaaaaa, Im waiting for sprints 4G to hit NYC so i can get the wimax they have

I tethered in tn. On the 3G and streamed a movie from netflix flawless worked great.

Only issue, your battery is gone mad quick... other then that works beautifully!!!!

Thanks

I have an iPhone 3GS on t-Mobile and got mywi to work just fine. It isnt in 3G but it works!

Thanks

That's why i suggested in my post you get a Mophie Juice Pack. I get throuugh an entire day of off and on tethering with my juice pack.

Quote Originally Posted by lexquiles View Post
    Only issue, your battery is gone mad quick... other then that works beautifully!!!!
    Last edited by therockk; 2010-04-06 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by therockk View Post
    That's why u suggested in my post you get a Mophie Juice Pack. I get throuugh an entire day of off and on tethering with my juice pack.
    I did not see that I will trybthat now

Thanks

Ya, try it out it's amazing! The way i use my juice pack is like this. I fully charge the iPhone and the juice pack, then i leave the juice pack switched on. What that does is that it keeps my battery fully charged, and the juice pack fully drains it self before the iPhone battery is used. Thats how i get the most out of my juice pack. Most people i know they fully charge both juice pack and iPhone and leave juice pack switched off and fully use the iPhone battery. Then when the iPhone battery is low they turn on the juice pack which charges the iPhone. When i did that i noticed that the fully charged juice pack will only charge the iPhone upto 49%. My ways better ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by lexquiles View Post
    I did not see that I will trybthat now