Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can you change the text under the icons?

Default Can you change the text under the icons?
    Title says it all!

thanks! :-)

Not YET

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

it'll probably be in one of the files in the directories for the apps besides the images

In the Installer app there is a program called Rename you can download that and i was able to edit most of my icons text. The ones install through the app store are not editable.

EX. Cycorder I changed to Video Recorder

Quote Originally Posted by hunterths35 View Post
    In the Installer app there is a program called Rename you can download that and i was able to edit most of my icons text. The ones install through the app store are not editable.

EX. Cycorder I changed to Video Recorder
    Yea that will work. It worked for me

if you wanna do it yourself it's pretty simple. If you still want to know lemme know...

Quote Originally Posted by m1ngaa View Post
    if you wanna do it yourself it's pretty simple. If you still want to know lemme know...
    I would like to know please!

go into System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/english.lproj open up LocalizedApplicationNames.strings if you're better than a newbie you should know how to open it... or else change the .strings to .plist and open with PlistEditor. You should find it with google. Good luck. Oh and when you're in there DO NOT touch the <key>BLABLABLBLA</key> and change the things that are in the <string>BLABLABLA</string>

Good Luck!

you know what i got? my 2G's gotta Vista looking theme. I've made it real cool! Not anything you've seen lol. You know how Vista's have that Clock on sidebar? and it's working right... So my 2G got real cool clock working and I've made MobileTimer icon to blank, and I've located it on that working clock! Real cool! if you want my theme, or you just wanna check it out lemme know. And hit that Thanks button. I don't know what it does but, I want one haha
    Last edited by m1ngaa; 2008-12-10 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you're running Winterboard, you can add alternative application names to a theme you have selected -- or create your own theme with your selected app names. This will work for all apps, not just the ones that are listed in that file /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/english.lproj/LocalizedApplicationNames.strings.

The way you do it:
    1. Create your theme folder, let's say /Library/Themes/MyAppNames.theme/
    2. In this folder (or in an existing .theme folder), create a subfolder Folders/SpringBoard.app/en.lproj/ (or de.lproj if you have German set as your language, etc.)
    3. In this folder, put a file called LocalizedApplicationNames.strings created with a simple text editor. This must be a list of application identifiers with the application names you choose for them, followed by semicolons ; as below:
      Code:
      "com.saurik.cycorder" = "Video";
      "com.apple.MobileStore" = "Music Store";
      "com.apple.MobileSMS" = "SMS";
      "com.apple.mobilemail" = "E-mail";
      "com.apple.mobilesafari" = "Internet";
      "com.nfinity.QuickVoice" = "Dictaphone";
      "com.bigboss.docs2" = "Documents";
      "com.Fringland.Fring" = "Fring";
      As you see this can include anything: built-in standard apps, App Store apps and Cydia apps. You find the application identifier in the Info.plist file that sits in the folder of each application.
    4. Go to Winterboard and activate the theme.

Advantage: works for all apps and is easy to switch on/off or share with others. Disadvantage: will only work if you have Winterboard installed.

Default Didnt work
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danner View Post
    If you're running Winterboard, you can add alternative application names to a theme you have selected -- or create your own theme with your selected app names. This will work for all apps, not just the ones that are listed in that file /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/english.lproj/LocalizedApplicationNames.strings.

The way you do it:
    2. In this folder (or in an existing .theme folder), create a subfolder Folders/SpringBoard.app/en.lproj/ (or de.lproj if you have German set as your language, etc.)
    3. In this folder, put a file called LocalizedApplicationNames.strings created with a simple text editor. This must be a list of application identifiers with the application names you choose for them, followed by semicolons ; as below:
      Code:
      As you see this can include anything: built-in standard apps, App Store apps and Cydia apps. You find the application identifier in the Info.plist file that sits in the folder of each application.

Advantage: works for all apps and is easy to switch on/off or share with others. Disadvantage: will only work if you have Winterboard installed.
    Didnt work for me i tried exactly as shown

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danner View Post

The way you do it:
      Code:

that's a slow way to do it. I used to add new <key>, and a new <string> to 3rd party downloads. Way to do that, go into your root/applications/ and open up the Application (installed thru Cydia or App Store) and open the Info.plist

as you see they always start with
    <?xml version="blablabla""utf-8"?> bla bla bla

and there should be something like this

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
    <string>en</string>
    <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
    <string>blablabla</string>

some applications do not have the 2nd one, but you can actually copy and paste that and change that BLA BLA BLA thing to whatever you like. And you still can do it like I said before. Look up!

Default Awesome
    that's a slow way to do it. I used to add new <key>, and a new <string> to 3rd party downloads. Way to do that, go into your root/applications/ and open up the Application (installed thru Cydia or App Store) and open the Info.plist

<string>en</string>

some applications do not have the 2nd one, but you can actually copy and paste that and change that BLA BLA BLA thing to whatever you like. And you still can do it like I said before. Look up!

That worked perfect thanks so much

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ceelo2008 For This Useful Post:

m1ngaa (2008-12-11)

Quote Originally Posted by ceelo2008 View Post
    That worked perfect thanks so much
    sure no problem

<string>en</string>

Disadvantage of this is, of course, that it doesn't survive an update of the application. I liked your method from post #8 better.

Quote Originally Posted by ceelo2008 View Post
    Didnt work for me i tried exactly as shown
    Strange. The only thing I can think of is to check you have the right language set as the language of your phone; to make sure the theme is activated in Winterboard; and to respring. EDIT: Oh, and the name of that language folder /Library/Themes/MyAppNames.theme/Folders/SpringBoard.app/en.lproj/ can't be English.lproj, it must be the two-letter language code.
    Last edited by Jim Danner; 2008-12-11 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lol you can put any name you want. The language doesn't matter. It works. there are more ways to do that. but they're pretty confusing... Like using a WinterBoard. Using winterboard to change the texts under an icon takes time, and you have to know the Applications exact name and stuff. WinterBoard is good if you wanna change the icon pix...

Lol you can put any name you want. The language doesn't matter. It works. there are more ways to do that. but they're pretty confusing... Like using a WinterBoard. Using winterboard to change the texts under an icon takes time, and you have to know the Applications exact name and stuff. WinterBoard is good if you wanna change the icon pix...
    All methods have their pros and cons, I agree.

O.o ..?
    One method is more work than the others, another doesn't survive application updates, another is only straightforward for built-in Apple applications... I thought it was pretty clear from the above that there is no ideal method. Anyway, we've spelled them all out so people can pick one according to preference.