Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing the SMS ringtone names in your iPhone

Default Changing the SMS ringtone names in your iPhone
    Here's how...

1. SSH into /private/var/Applications/Preferences.app/English.lproj and copy the Sounds.string file to your PC
    2. convert the Sounds.string file using http://140.124.181.188/~khchung/cgi-bin/plutil.cgi
    3. open the converted Sounds.string file using WordPad or any other editor
    4. change the SMS ringtone names into your preference and save changes
    5. copy back the amended Sounds.string file back to your phone (make a copy of your original Sounds.string file, e.g. rename it into Sounds.string.original)
    6. done!

All 6 SMS ringtones are located at /System/Library/Audio/UISounds with names from sms-received1.caf to sms-received6.caf [with corresponding name Tri-Tone etc.], Google for ways to create SMS ringtones if you have no idea how to do it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -snap_100633.jpg  

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kiasunkiasi For This Useful Post:

atarii (2009-07-13), carranza259 (2009-08-27), dsg (2009-04-23), IMU2006 (2008-05-31), kaode (2010-10-22), LeathaFace (2008-03-28), LilSamsung (2010-03-02), mfleigle (2008-12-09), mikeoxlong (2009-03-16), phrotac_jaffa (2010-11-21), RottieMan (2008-06-02)

Thanx for the info!
    They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be.
    They only lack the light to show the way.
    For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LeathaFace For This Useful Post:

shelbynoobs (2009-12-06)

Quote Originally Posted by kiasunkiasi View Post
    Here's how...

1. SSH into /private/var/Applications/Preferences.app/English.lproj and copy the Sounds.string file to your PC
    2. convert the Sounds.string file using Convert Apple Property list from binary to text XML
    3. open the converted Sounds.string file using WordPad or any other editor
    4. change the SMS ringtone names into your preference and save changes
    5. copy back the amended Sounds.string file back to your phone (make a copy of your original Sounds.string file, e.g. rename it into Sounds.string.original)
    6. done!

All 6 SMS ringtones are located at /System/Library/Audio/UISounds with names from sms-received1.caf to sms-received6.caf [with corresponding name Tri-Tone etc.], Google for ways to create SMS ringtones if you have no idea how to do it...
    Worked like a dream. Nice and easy thank you for all the help

Hey.. does this still work??
    cos theres no /Preferences.app/ folder when i access through iphonebrowser

PC user with v1.1.4

Thanks

Yes it does! The Appliations are located in the root filesystem, so look at /Applikations/Preferences.app

It tried it and it worked perfekt!

Default Can't Get it to work
    I have an iPhone 3g and I can't get this to work. I found the Sounds.string file under Preferences.app and copied it to my PC. Then I used the web address to convert the file and when I open it with Notepad the file is completely blank. Any ideas?

Default Link provided does not work.
    I too am having the same problem. I coped the sounds.strings file onto my computer and tried this link (http://140.124.181.188/~khchung/cgi-bin/plutil.cgi), but the link does not work anymore. Is there another link I could possibly try to convert this file or is there a program that will allow me to convert this file?

Thanks in advance.

The link to http://140.124.181.188/~khchung/cgi-bin/plutil.cgi doesnt work.

Do you have an other link ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses2 View Post
    The link to http://140.124.181.188/~khchung/cgi-bin/plutil.cgi doesnt work.

Do you have an other link ?
    Try that. May help you:

Binary — XML .plist converter - iAppCat

can you add more than the default 6?
    ~0okami

Has anyone found a way to edit the names in 2.2.1? The file is not in the same place from what I can tell?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bonessk View Post
    Has anyone found a way to edit the names in 2.2.1? The file is not in the same place from what I can tell?

Thanks
    The file to edit is /Applications/Preferences.app/English.lproj/Sounds.strings. The names are under ALTERNATE_1 etc, they are "Chime" and so on.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Danner For This Useful Post:

Bonessk (2009-02-07), gregtotheizzo (2009-02-16)

can this edit be done via winterboard to save changing it permanently?

Quote Originally Posted by Morian View Post
    can this edit be done via winterboard to save changing it permanently?
    Sure! In the folder /Library/Themes/Yourtheme.theme/Bundles/com.apple.Preferences/en.lproj/ you put your modified copy of that file Sounds.strings. If needed you activate the theme in Witerboard, or otherwise you restart SpringBoard, and you're done.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danner View Post
    Sure! In the folder /Library/Themes/Yourtheme.theme/Bundles/com.apple.Preferences/en.lproj/ you put your modified copy of that file Sounds.strings. If needed you activate the theme in Witerboard, or otherwise you restart SpringBoard, and you're done.
    You sir are a legend.

thanks (Y)

Smile Hmm!
    Works great!
    Last edited by JolleR; 2009-12-14 at 07:23 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Will this stay the same if you update the firmware?

ok i have only had my phone for a couple of days i found an easy way to sende the ringtones to my phone which is great, i am having a problem with following all of the instrustions i have found on these forums where are you finding the system and the root file etc, does my phone have to be what everyone is saying jail broken because it is not, and i dont see in the phone where these installers file systesm etc are at i would appreciate any help anyone can give me thanks in advance

dale 2 - If you update your firmware your iPhone wont be jailbroken anymore and yes - the SMS tone will be changed to the originals.

Gertrina4u - Your iPhone would have to be jailbroken, yes. Since Apples last release of updates for the iPhone, it's not possible to jailbreak it right now - so you wont be able to do it.

Cant get to that site, is there a new URL?

Found one...

Binary — XML .plist converter - iAppCat
    Last edited by stasis; 2010-04-30 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast