Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing the SMS ringtone names in your iPhone

Just tried this on my 3.1.3, and its a no go. Have SSH and jailbroken through spirit. Do I change the "ALTERNATE_1" or the <string>Chime</string>?? I know this is really basic instructions, but I seem to be missing something.

hmm...when i convert the string file, i get a 0bytes file containing nothing :P...
    And if I open the string file using winscp (dutch) I get:

bplist00

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>_Keyboard Clicks]Text Messages_RING_VOL_CAN_BE_ADJUSTED[RING_VOLUMETBOTHTRingTNONE[ALTERNATE_5\ALERT_VOLUME[ALTERNATE_4[ALTERNATE_2[ALTERNATE_1XNEW_MAILWVibrateVSounds]SOUND_EFFECTSYVoicemail[Lock Sounds_RING_VOL_CANNOT_BE_ADJUSTEDVCameraWSPEAKE R[ALTERNATE_3^Calendar AlarmWDEFAULTYSENT_MAIL_RINGER_AND_ALERTS_CHAN GE_WITH_BUTTONS_RING_VOLUME_SLIDERVSilentZHEADPH ONESXRingtone_Toetsenbordklik]Nieuw bericht_UHet volume van het belsignaal en meldingen kan worden aangepast met de volumeknoppen.]BeltoonvolumeUBeideZGeluid aanTGeen\Elektronisch^MeldingsvolumeSBelTGlasXTink elen]Nieuwe e-mailWTrillenXGeluiden_Geluidseffecten_Nieuwe voicemail_Vergrendelgeluiden_UHet volume van het belsignaal en meldingen wordt niet aangepast met de volumeknoppen.VCamera[LuidsprekerVToeter_Agendameldingenrietoon_Verstuurde e-mail_Beltoon en meldingen_Wijzig met knoppenVVolumeZGeluid uit[KoptelefoonWBeltoon

= weird symbols

I thought you had to change the name, so i changed glas into ff13, but every sms name became NONE, DEFAULT, ALTERNATE_1 - 5
    And when i change it back to glas, it still doesnt change back to the normal names =(!!
    What should I do?

when i convert file i too get a xml file containing no text when opened in wordpad

Just use iFile to open and edit the file, then you can back it up.

how do you open the sounds.strings with iFile? What is iFile?
    hmm...maybe i am in the wrong folder?

/private/var/stash/Applications.4vLza4/Preferences.app/Dutch.lproj/sounds.strings

Maybe i messed up with this part of the file?

bplist00

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>_Keyboard Clicks]Text Messages_RING_VOL_CAN_BE_ADJUSTED[RING_VOLUMETBOTHTRingTNONE[ALTERNATE_5\ALERT_VOLUME[ALTERNATE_4[ALTERNATE_2[ALTERNATE_1XNEW_MAILWVibrateVSounds]SOUND_EFFECTSYVoicemail[Lock Sounds_RING_VOL_CANNOT_BE_ADJUSTEDVCameraWSPEAKE R[ALTERNATE_3^Calendar AlarmWDEFAULTYSENT_MAIL_RINGER_AND_ALERTS_CHAN GE_WITH_BUTTONS_RING_VOLUME_SLIDERVSilentZHEADPH ONESXRingtone_Toetsenbordklik]Nieuw bericht_UHet volume van het belsignaal en meldingen kan worden aangepast met de volumeknoppen.]BeltoonvolumeUBeideZGeluid aanTGeen\Elektronisch^MeldingsvolumeSBelTGlasXTinkelen]Nieuwe e-mailWTrillenXGeluiden_Geluidseffecten_Nieuwe voicemail_

Can somebody check what they have at that part, so I can copy it and overwrite it?
    Last edited by renji; 2010-10-22 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ah, i finally understand iFile is an app :P
    Anyway, so I went to var , stash, and then I see the folder called Applications.4vLza4 <-- is that normal?
    And when i go further to Preferences.app, dutch.Iproj, sounds.string, I get this error saying Conversion of string failed. The string is empty...
    What should I do o.O?

can anyoone help, when i open the converted file its empty!
    Can anyone point me in the dorection of a nother xml converter?
    I can open the sound.strings file in SSH and i get this:
    bplist00

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456[ALTERNATE_2[ALTERNATE_1XNEW_MAIL_RING_VOL_CANNOT_BE_ADJUSTED VSounds_CHANGE_WITH_BUTTONS[Lock Sounds]SOUND_EFFECTSYVoicemailZHEADPHONES\ALERT_VOLUME_ RINGER_AND_ALERTS]Text MessagesVCameraVSilent_Keyboard ClicksWVibrateTRing_RING_VOLUME_SLIDERTNONEYSENT _MAIL_RING_VOL_CAN_BE_ADJUSTEDTBOTH[RING_VOLUME^Calendar AlarmWDEFAULT[ALTERNATE_5WSPEAKERXRingtone[ALTERNATE_4[ALTERNATE_3UGlassUChimeXNew Mail_OThe volume of the ringer and alerts will not be affected by the volume buttons._Change with Buttons]Sound Effects]New VoicemailZHeadphones\Alert Volume_Ringer and Alerts_New Text MessageVVolumeTNoneYSent Mail_MThe volume of the ringer and alerts can be adjusted using the volume buttons.TBoth[Ring Volume_Calendar AlertsXTri-toneZElectronicWSpeakerTBellTHorn  I U a j 
    #+0EJTot3IWep }
    -6AIN  7 S

You dont need to convert it, here is mine, just paste this into your sounds.strings and edit with TextEdit.

"ALERT_VOLUME" = "Alert Volume";
    "ALTERNATE_1" = "Ding";
    "ALTERNATE_2" = "Exclaim";
    "ALTERNATE_3" = "Tone";
    "ALTERNATE_4" = "Notify";
    "ALTERNATE_5" = "Subtle";
    "BOTH" = "Both";
    "Calendar Alarm" = "Calendar Alerts";
    "Camera" = "Camera";
    "DEFAULT" = "Tri-tone";
    "HEADPHONES" = "Headphones";
    "Keyboard Clicks" = "Keyboard Clicks";
    "Lock Sounds" = "Lock Sounds";
    "NEW_MAIL" = "New Mail";
    "NONE" = "None";
    "Ring" = "Ring";
    "RING_VOLUME" = "Ring Volume";
    "RING_VOLUME_SLIDER" = "Volume";
    "Ringtone" = "Ringtone";
    "SENT_MAIL" = "Sent Mail";
    "Silent" = "Silent";
    "SOUND_EFFECTS" = "Sound Effects";
    "Sounds" = "Sounds";
    "SPEAKER" = "Speaker";
    "Text Messages" = "New Text Message";
    "Vibrate" = "Vibrate";
    "Voicemail" = "New Voicemail";

Does anyone know where the new SMS tones sound strings for the iPhone 4 are? They aren't in Sounds.string. A lot of them are too long and are perfect to use for custom replacement tones. I would love to be able to edit the names.
    Last edited by QuarterSwede; 2010-11-29 at 06:05 PM.

Keep in mind, I'm using iFunBox instead of SSh (and i'm on a 3G with iOS 4.2, but i'm guessing anything 4xx and over would have the same directory structure)

Applications > Preferences.app > English.lproj

i tried doing the method here of converting to xml, but when i converted the file, it came up as 0 bytes and an empty file, even though it shows as being 975 bytes in FunBox

Quote Originally Posted by tw1zt3d View Post
    Keep in mind, I'm using iFunBox instead of SSh (and i'm on a 3G with iOS 4.2, but i'm guessing anything 4xx and over would have the same directory structure)

Applications > Preferences.app > English.lproj

i tried doing the method here of converting to xml, but when i converted the file, it came up as 0 bytes and an empty file, even though it shows as being 975 bytes in FunBox
    That is where sounds.string is, yes, but it doesn't contain the names of the new iPhone 4 SMS sounds.

but it doesn't contain the names of the new iPhone 4 SMS sounds.
    Yes it does and no it doesn't

it only has the first six and not the others you have on the iPhone 4, I don't know where you would find that though

Edit: No it doesn't
    Last edited by dsg; 2011-03-19 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    Yes it does and no it doesn't

it only has the first six and not the others you have on the iPhone 4, I don't know where you would find that though
    That's what I'm saying. The new ones aren't the first six. To my knowledge the location for the new ones still hasn't been found.

yeah I realised after posting, sorry

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    /System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBookUI.framework/your_language.lproj/AB.strings

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChubbyChecker For This Useful Post:

dsg (2011-03-19), QuarterSwede (2011-03-19)

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker View Post
    /System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBookUI.framework/your_language.lproj/AB.strings
    You. Freaking. ROCK! Thank you!

Ive tried this method on my 3G v 4.2.1 it doesnt change the names at all.

Thanks that also covers the original six SMS sounds
    Last edited by dsg; 2011-03-19 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot2010 View Post
    Ive tried this method on my 3G v 4.2.1 it doesnt change the names at all.
    This is what I did to get it to work. Remember that you have to respring for it to change.

I used iFile to change the name in the Property List Viewer (much easier to read).
    You can alternatively edit the actual text using the text viewer.

Ex. "texttone:Anticipate" = "Anticipate";

change to:

"texttone:Anticipate" = "Mac Startup"

Result:
    Last edited by QuarterSwede; 2011-04-06 at 07:15 PM.

I followed this and modified the strings and the names didn't change, I did a "respring" and also tried turning it off. No Good. If I copy the Sounds.Strings back to my PC the changes are in the file I copied off the phone.

This is where I found the file:

/private/var/stash/Applications.B5rIdH/Preferences.app/English.lproj
    Last edited by Sweathog_66; 2011-04-08 at 09:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast