Page 33 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SBHTML: SpringBoard HTML Wallpaper Platform

Still believe this webkit "bug" is a myth. You won't see a difference in 7.1.2. You will in fact see a change in iOS8. Mainly because Apple finally will use Nitro Javascript on every UIWebview. (Not only safari) Will be a welcome change, for years I think since iOS3 or 4 Nitro has been in safari, but excluded from external Webviews.

What this will mean is now the javascript compilation will be able to mark memory pages in ram. They didn't before as this could open quite the hole to be exploited. Seems they have found a way past this, so we will eventually have access to the Javascript Engine. Which will be amazing, javascript should run as much as 2 times faster. Should allow use of WebGL too.

For the "bug" that has been mentioned. I don't think there is a bug, if there was I am sure we would have seen a fix. My theory on why this happens is ram. iOS7 is pushed to the max using most of its available resources. Not a big deal, Apple plans on no one Jailbreaking so why have so much unused ram. With tweaks we slowly eat the available ram. This isn't like iOS6 where you could have tons of tweaks running. Now the password. Seems this is where people see this "bug". Only case I have seen personally. Some users have this and some don't. The same firmware is on every device. No reason to think it contains a bug. It has to be what is on the users device that makes this final decision and/or triggers this issue. Take for example a webclip. This has the same performance of our lockscreens. Uses the same javascript engine, which in turn of course uses the same webkit. If this was a bug with webkit it would have been seen here as well. There are many webApp games/sites/etc that really push webkit to the max. Facebook and many other full apps use webviews. Without such a bug reported.

If you ran some tests on your ram, and with the password you would see a huge drop in ram. I am sure this has a lot to do with TouchID. I remember when I tested this on Concept LS. A lot of dynamic blurs, and a whole lot of code. Passcode off no issue. Passcode on you would trip SafeMode. This was eventually fixed on my end by lowering the amount I was doing with Javascript itself. TouchID is nothing to be taken lightly. Not only is it on a secure location on the chip, the connecting to this "secret place" and pulling information is obvious it would take more ram and cpu usage. Why is this triggered with just passcode set? That is what I would consider a bug, or better yet something not implemented to its best. Once again, doesn't matter Apple doesn't plan on you Jailbreaking. Just my opinion, and some things you may or may not have known.
    Last edited by June'sIphone; 2014-06-26 at 01:29 AM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to June'sIphone For This Useful Post:

Azon3 (2014-06-26), Boots (2014-06-26), Dacal (2014-06-27), jawonder (2014-06-26), kristatos (2014-06-26), mcooper (2014-06-26), NeilJClements (2014-06-26), NewD (2014-06-26), RKO1195 (2014-06-26), Simon (2014-06-26), TaJr12 (2014-07-08), thazsar (2014-06-26)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,463 Times in 7,695 Posts

Nice explanation, June. Good plausible theories. When a behavior is repeatable on all devices - I'm used to calling that a "bug" in the beta test circles I've travelled over the years. The safe mode crash with Passcode lock on and high animation running in Lockscreen is repeatable on any phone jailbroken on iOS 7.0.x. That's a "bug" "somewhere" - but I would agree it seems more memory related since the MORE animation you run the more it crashes. But also Apple themselves have acknowledged "WebView" problems. Even stock phones have been reported to randomly restart.

Your thoughts are logical to me though. If iOS 8 is better.. WELCOME iOS 8!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Well iOS 8 isn't better yet. Those betas have been pretty darn buggy so far lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

MamaJaay (2014-06-27)

Thanks

Default Have the CITY readout in WW widgets display the Neighborhood of a CITY
    Hey lovers of WidgetWeather SB Widgets and iWidgets. I was thinking today that those of us who travel in the United States might enjoy to see the Neighborhood names we travel through when in larger cities rather than just the boring 'ole' big city name. While we're in the suburbs - what WW's xml reports as the city is certainly accurate and sufficient - but what about when you're in Atlanta or Houston or Chicago, LA or Philly? You could drive all around the city and only see PHILADELPHIA, etc... when WW's xml has all sorts of neighborhood data for ya!!. Right now you CAN access the neighborhood data but only if you set it to 'globally' show you neighborhood in all cases by changing the config.sys.

Well leave that config.sys alone...

And just go into the main.js or UniAW.js file and search in iFile for:
    document.getElementById("city").innerHTML = cityname;

And replace that line with this:
    Code:
    if (obj.extraLocNeighborhood != "") {document.getElementById("city").innerHTML = obj.extraLocNeighborhood;}
    else {document.getElementById("city").innerHTML = obj.city;}
    Then respring.
    Now every time you're in a larger city your WW widget will automatically infer from the XML that you're there and display the region of the large city you're in and not just the big city's name.. Space is an issue in most widgets - but if you'd like to see both listed kind of like:
    Philadelphia (Chestnut Hill) then you'd replace the above code with this instead:
    Code:
    if (obj.extraLocNeighborhood != "") {document.getElementById("city").innerHTML = obj.city + " (" + obj.extraLocNeighborhood + ")";}
    else {document.getElementById("city").innerHTML = obj.city;}
    Just a little more customization for you guys! Hope you enjoy!

PS.. in a few widgets they've never grabbed the data from the neighborhood data from the xml - as in nateD's Weather Puzzle iWidget. In those cases - do what I said above - but you also have to look toward the end of the code in main.js or UniAW.js and look for:
    obj.city = $(this).find('name').text();
    and ADD this this line under it:
    obj.extraLocNeighborhood = $(this).find('extraLocNeighborhood').text();

Then the data will be available to pull into the City display.

Happy coding!
    Grant

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

bliken (2014-06-27), King_O_Hill (2014-06-27), kristatos (2014-06-28), TaJr12 (2014-07-08), vvhiskey (2014-06-27)

Can anyone point me to iPad 3 or 4 HTML wallpapers or SB widgets. I've several for iPhone 5/5c/5s but haven't found any for iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by rmax67 View Post
    Can anyone point me to iPad 3 or 4 HTML wallpapers or SB widgets. I've several for iPhone 5/5c/5s but haven't found any for iPad.
    https://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-4s-new-skins-themes-launches/810378-mjsmash-lockscreen-springboard-widget-%thread_page%-print.html

Sent from my iPad using ModMyi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

TaJr12 (2014-07-08)

Appreciated MamaJaay!😊

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rmax67 For This Useful Post:

MamaJaay (2014-07-01)

This work with the new jb?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chevymusclecar For This Useful Post:

Boots (2014-07-02)

Quote Originally Posted by chevymusclecar View Post
    This work with the new jb?

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

bliken (2014-07-02), Boots (2014-07-02), chevymusclecar (2014-07-02), NewD (2014-07-02)

Evil Genius Developer GroovyCarrot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 483 Posts

Hey guys, sorry I haven't poked my head here for a while. Glancing around it seems the webkit bug came back up; the reason this crashing occurs is just because SBHTML runs in the SpringBoard process, all crashes of this process force safe mode and so unfortunately running a WebView in this process with intense (or in some cases just poorly written) JavaScript causes memory overload/segmentation faults. While normally in an application process the app would just crash and send you back to SpringBoard, the fault is actually caused on SpringBoard and so results in safe mode, which is far more annoying. Apps such as Facebook which do also use a lot of JavaScript will distribute the memory load to the app itself rather than running everything in webkit; even though this is done to reduce instability I still find on my iPhone 4 that Facebook crashes the majority of the time.

In truth the whole 'bug' claim might not be true, as June did say, Apple don't develop their devices with the intention of people jailbreaking them; Apple did however include a relatively buggy version of WebKit in iOS 7 that's had memory leak bugs reported by many developers, which I believe is the issue that we experience here when we're also running several tweaks on top of the SpringBoard process. I've looked into several crash reports and there's never anything programmatically wrong, it just seems to always be running out of allowed memory and being killed by the OS.

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (2014-07-04), jawonder (2014-07-04), King_O_Hill (2014-07-04), MamaJaay (2014-07-04), Marty McFly (2014-07-08), menard_00 (2014-07-04), Natty12 (2014-07-03), NewD (2014-07-04), RKO1195 (2014-07-08), Simon (2014-07-04), TaJr12 (2014-07-08)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GroovyCarrot View Post
    Hey guys, sorry I haven't poked my head here for a while. Glancing around it seems the webkit bug came back up; the reason this crashing occurs is just because SBHTML runs in the SpringBoard process, all crashes of this process force safe mode and so unfortunately running a WebView in this process with intense (or in some cases just poorly written) JavaScript causes memory overload/segmentation faults. While normally in an application process the app would just crash and send you back to SpringBoard, the fault is actually caused on SpringBoard and so results in safe mode, which is far more annoying. Apps such as Facebook which do also use a lot of JavaScript will distribute the memory load to the app itself rather than running everything in webkit; even though this is done to reduce instability I still find on my iPhone 4 that Facebook crashes the majority of the time.

In truth the whole 'bug' claim might not be true, as June did say, Apple don't develop their devices with the intention of people jailbreaking them; Apple did however include a relatively buggy version of WebKit in iOS 7 that's had memory leak bugs reported by many developers, which I believe is the issue that we experience here when we're also running several tweaks on top of the SpringBoard process. I've looked into several crash reports and there's never anything programmatically wrong, it just seems to always be running out of allowed memory and being killed by the OS.
    is there anyway to stop apps going behind the sbhtml wallpapers when installing an app?

Thanks

Hey I've only recently been told of this issue so I'll look to patch it as soon as possible - I've got a new phone coming next week which I'll actually be able to develop on

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

menard_00 (2014-07-04), Natty12 (2014-07-04), RKO1195 (2014-07-08), Simon (2014-07-04), thazsar (2014-07-04)

Thanks

Hey I've only recently been told of this issue so I'll look to patch it as soon as possible - I've got a new phone coming next week which I'll actually be able to develop on
    ok cool hope there will be a fix soon 👍

Nice explanation. I still don't believe this is a bug. It is something that was changed in how the engine is ran. Page cache, memory allocation or something. I dunno what. For example I can run an iframe/object pulling from a server, and get a crash every time. Can run the same page from local with no crash what so ever. Even with a fresh reboot, and memory at its max. This is why I think it is something to do with memory allocation, session caching, or GPU usage. iOS7 also removed support for Shared Workers.

I also experience a low memory crash, which most of the time only seems like it semi- reboots the device. Meaning no safemode, but the screen will flash and reload the lockscreen. On occasions this could cause a safemode, but is unlikely as apple will kill processes they don't need to run rather than plugins they do need to run.

What gets even more strange is passcode. Ones with a safe mode issue, can turn passcode off and have no crashes. I can replicate this most of the time. As far as differences in 7.0 - 7.1.2 I see no difference. Being gone and returning is not the case in my testing, it has always been there. I have devices on 7.0.4, 7.1, and 7.1.2. Everything acts the same across them.

A lot was changed in 7.0 if everyone remembers you have to trick things into giving you hardware acceleration. Which most are exploiting now. If someone doesn't know what they are doing, and run it on every element you are guaranteed a crash. This also points to apple changing a lot. Why would they remove items being hardware accelerated? Maybe because their memory for this was lowered. Mostly due to the advanced systems they introduced, including their resource hungry visual effects.

All in all it is very frustrating, and things need to be coded carefully with this in mind.
    Last edited by June'sIphone; 2014-07-04 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks

Default SBHTML: SpringBoard HTML Wallpaper Platform
    Yours and Jake's observations, June, are very helpful here and pretty much solidified for me that I really don't need to go to 7.1.2 anytime soon. It really doesn't offer me anything as I still won't be able to use my passcode lock. I'm just hoping that iOS 8 offers us some better hope with regard to running HTML on our lockscreens and springboards.

What does frustrate me even more is the thought that the Pangu jailbreak may have wasted important exploits for iOS 8 when we really didn't need to burn them. Though I'm sure there are a lot of very happy people who had lost their jailbreak that can now jailbreak again.

All I know is that with close to 30 weeks installed, all I need to do is keep my passcode lock off, and my jailbreak on 7.0.6 is as stable as I was on iOS 5 and 6. As soon as Matchstic perfects his Equinox tweak I've heard about, we'll be able to theme all the UI elements we were able to in iOS 5 and 6 as well.
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-07-04 at 04:08 AM.

Thanks

So took a chance to fix that annoying app install bug, quickly tested and works fine for me: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdj7683xqy...html-1.0.6.deb

Jake

26. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

bliken (2014-07-08), chevymusclecar (2014-07-09), Dacal (2014-07-08), jawonder (2014-07-08), jm26200 (2014-07-08), King_O_Hill (2014-07-08), kristatos (2014-07-08), Laxu (2014-08-23), Marty McFly (2014-07-08), menard_00 (2014-07-09), Natty12 (2014-07-08), NewD (2014-07-08), riassan (2014-07-09), rjr1124 (2014-07-08), RKO1195 (2014-07-08), s22lane (2014-07-08), st0n3parad0x (2014-07-08), TeddyDiesel (2014-07-08)

Thanks

So took a chance to fix that annoying app install bug, quickly tested and works fine for me: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdj7683xqy...html-1.0.6.deb

Jake
    happy days!!! so do i inistall sbhtml and download your link?

Sent from me

Just download that deb on your phone and open in I file and hit install and respring after that's it

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RKO1195 For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (2014-07-09), GroovyCarrot (2014-07-08), King_O_Hill (2014-07-08), kristatos (2014-07-08), Marty McFly (2014-07-08), Natty12 (2014-07-08), NewD (2014-07-08)

Livin the iPhone Life oldskoolsk8r's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,970 Times in 725 Posts

Download doesn't exist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Jake
    Thanks so much, Jake!! But there were several other triggers to make the bug repeatable.. I'll try those now.. and double check that it's gone/gone..

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolsk8r View Post
    Download doesn't exist
    Just downloaded now. Worked perfectly.

EDITED: The bug is indeed GONE from all triggers that I've used. GREAT JOB, JAKE!!!
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-07-08 at 05:15 PM.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

chevymusclecar (2014-07-09), jawonder (2014-07-09), King_O_Hill (2014-07-08), kristatos (2014-07-08), Mav1971 (2014-07-08)

Page 33 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast