Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Custom Icon Masks

Default Custom Icon Masks
    My friend let me play a game on his iPod the other day and I noticed he had the XBOX logo as an icon mask. He wouldn't tell me where he got it, so I decided to ask here if anyone has it or knows where to get it. I have searched google for almost an hour looking for it with no luck. If anyone can help, please do.

Color Keyboard Yoda Phatmartino's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 310 Posts

There is a Cydia tweak available called "Masks" that allows you to apply themes in a Winterboard style theming structure. If you have any kind of photo editing software, it can be rather easy to create your own masks which he may have done. If you were to get it and reply, I could help you out with it if necessary.

Good luck either way!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmartino For This Useful Post:

ihatefruit (2011-07-09)

I use the app already, and I know the steps of making a 2D mask. But he had the logo with the X indented. And I know it wasn't just a theme because every app had it, not just some. Also, is there a website where people upload their own masks to share or do you really have to make you own?

Thanks

Havn't seen a "sharing" site myself, but I'd be willing to try to put one together for you. It's possible to get a little creative with gradients and shades of grey which create transparency and could be affected by what your BG wallpaper happens to be.

If you can link an image of exactly which logo it is, I can edit a few versions to show you what could be done at least...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmartino For This Useful Post:

ihatefruit (2011-07-09)

Thanks

Still working...

Let me know if this is anywhere near what you're talking about.

-imageuploadedbymodmyi1310167202.261721.jpg

Yes, that's perfect! Thank you!

Thanks

I just need to fix a little thing or two. Let me know if you're on a retina device or not, and I'll post the image in a little bit...

I have the 3GS so no retina

Thanks

Took some tweaking to get the logo centered. Doesn't seem to use the image the way you would think.

Figured I'd include both for anyone's use...

Name:  XboxLogo.png
Views: 764
Size:  4.6 KB-xboxlogo-2x.png

You probably know, but just in case, if you want this in "Custom Masks" it will go in:

/var/mobile/Library/Masks/Custom Masks/Icons/

or for Retina users: /Custom Masks/Icons2x/

Could only test on Retina, so try this out and let me know if non-retina applies differently and it needs to be tweaked.

It's REALLY transparent...
    -img_0334-1-.png-img_0335-1-.png
    I use the one on the left, I put the second picture to show on dark wallpaper
    Last edited by ihatefruit; 2011-07-09 at 04:15 AM.

Thanks

Wow, yeah it is! Might be the dark Wallpaper I had armed that made it stand out on mine as well as it did.

I'll do some more tweaking with a lighter one armed and see what I can come up with...

Thanks

Unfortunately because the masks work based completely on transparency, the further you move toward opaque overall, the more 2D the effect becomes.

Don't know how badly you really want this look or what the implications would be as far as your icon layout, but the only possible solution might be to alter your BG wallpaper image to include black circles underneath icon positions. A bit drastic, but it might be possible to work it out with something like a radial gradient and/or port hole (along the lines of shelf wallpapers) or something that wont look rediculous in instances where there is no icon.

Let me know if you're willing to go that far, I might be able to edit something together if you want to post the wall image.