Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adding music to iPod.app library without iTunes

Default Adding music to iPod.app library without iTunes
    Is there any way add music straight to your ipod.app straight from your iPhone (such as ones you have downloaded from safari) without going through iTunes?

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

i use pwntunes
    only problem is its not permanent and syncing with itunes later won't add them officially until you copy them from your device to your itunes folder.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to seann33uk For This Useful Post:

Gerneio (2011-06-19)

Hmmm so I have to go through the computer no matter what... Anyone else figured this out yet?

I have the same issue, i hate syncing on the PC, so these are the alternatives I found, neither good I must add:

myTunes (expensive and buggy): myTunes allows you to view & copy songs via ssh/ iFile/iPhone Browser | iPhone, iPod touch & iPad

xPod (not as goos as the system ipod): http://modmyi.com/forums/native-ipho...ic-player.html
    iPhone 3GS 16GB | Website: TWolf.sytes.net
    My WM Apps&Skins: Tinyurl.com/4555uh9

So far I really like Pwntunes... I can use my ifile app to put music in var/mobile/media/my music, but the only thing Is in order to get my iPod.app to recognize them I have to at least move one song using the computer, which kinda sucks... But it will do it for all the songs in that folder which Is good but I'd still rather do this all from the phone it self... Any ideas??

Nice, already figured it out... You can go to settings, pwntunes and (after you have put all the music you want in var/mobile/my music/) then you can check To on "needs sync" to add that music. now reopen iPod.app and it should sync it and show up. Now if you want to remove that music, delete it first in the my music folder using ifile, and then go to settings and check to on "reset imports" and then reopen iPod.app to refresh it and clear it of those songs. The only down side is that those two options don't stay checked forever, only once, so maybe if someone knows how to create sbstoggles for those two things, that would be amazing!... I hope someone finds this useful, I've been trying to figure this out for a month
    Last edited by Gerneio; 2011-06-19 at 09:42 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerneio For This Useful Post:

Neflheim (2012-07-26)

Anyone know if pwntunes requires iTunes to be installed on the computer to work?

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

No it doesn't.
    You phone /touch becomes a "flash drive" that allows you to transfer music and other files to and from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerneio View Post
    So far I really like Pwntunes... I can use my ifile app to put music in var/mobile/media/my music, but the only thing Is in order to get my iPod.app to recognize them I have to at least move one song using the computer, which kinda sucks... But it will do it for all the songs in that folder which Is good but I'd still rather do this all from the phone it self... Any ideas??

Nice, already figured it out... You can go to settings, pwntunes and (after you have put all the music you want in var/mobile/my music/) then you can check To on "needs sync" to add that music. now reopen iPod.app and it should sync it and show up. Now if you want to remove that music, delete it first in the my music folder using ifile, and then go to settings and check to on "reset imports" and then reopen iPod.app to refresh it and clear it of those songs. The only down side is that those two options don't stay checked forever, only once, so maybe if someone knows how to create sbstoggles for those two things, that would be amazing!... I hope someone finds this useful, I've been trying to figure this out for a month
    Yes should of mentioned that bit. Sorry.
    But you can basically download your music ob your device using safari or a torrent downloader
    Stick the files in to My Music folder
    Then hit the "needs sync" setting under Settings>PwnTunes
    Last edited by seann33uk; 2011-06-21 at 09:16 AM.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    No it doesn't.
    You phone /touch becomes a "flash drive" that allows you to transfer music and other files to and from it.

Yes should of mentioned that bit. Sorry.
    But you can basically download your music ob your device using safari or a torrent downloader
    Stick the files in to My Music folder
    Then hit the "needs sync" setting under Settings>PwnTunes
    Lol kinda figured all that out thanks for the help though... I got two birds with one stone so to speak (have been looking to an alternative to dmytro's USB flash drive and importing music)