Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I got a tough one...

Default I got a tough one...
    I want to be able to have a text tone, and I want to hear it. I however do NOT want a ringtone for phone calls.
    Is there a plist I can edit to add a None selection to the ringtone section?
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

Color Keyboard Yoda Phatmartino's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 310 Posts

Here's a possibly simpler solution. This will work on a windows machine, at least.

I've included a custom .m4r (ringtone file) with no audio data.
    Download to any location on your computer.
    Unzip file.
    Filename is Silent.m4r, as long as you don't have a file in your iTunes library called "Silent", double click the file with iTunes closed, and it will open in iTunes and add it to your ringtones.
    Then just sync your device, and you will then be able to select it as your ringtone.

This method can be used by taking any audio file that is ringtone type length, importing into iTunes, create AAC version if you don't already have it set to automatically, delete from iTunes library and choose "keep original", go to it's physical location on hard drive, change extension from .m4a to .m4r, select "yes" when it gives extension change warning, then double click the file as described above to automatically open in iTunes and add to ringtones.

Any problems or further questions along these lines, feel free to reply. Happy to help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmartino For This Useful Post:

xXrkidXx (2011-06-14)

Oh... Well thank you very much !

I feel just a tad bit stupid that I didn't think of that before...
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

Color Keyboard Yoda Phatmartino's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 310 Posts

Don't. Jailbreaking opens such limitless possibilities that it leaves Apple's native functionalities quite forgettable!

Or you can add a ringtone to your phone, set it as the default, and then remove it. Every time I upgrade I always forget to load my custom ringtones for my family, and since I restore from backup, it looks for those ringtones. It usually takes a silent call from a loved one before I remember to load the ringtones.
    Quaerite et invenietis.