Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Ultimate iDevice Speed Tutorial

Default The Ultimate iDevice Speed Tutorial
    The Basics
    You've heard it once, you'll hear it 1,000 times more. MobileSubstrate is a RAM/CPU power-hungry whore. All of the extensions are extremely handy but do you really need that theme JUST for the icons? Why not SSH them in and save yourself some memory?

* Remove all unnecessary MS addons. Sure there useful, but couldn't you live without some of them?
    * Having tons of apps and media installed can also slow down a device. Try saving atleast 10% of your iDevices memory free.

Dependencies, huh?
    Did you ever come across something you NEVER used but it was "required" for a Cydia addon? We all have whether it's PreferenceLoader, or libhide or even something tiny like inPulse's 2 Icon Folder layout. Well those are all running constantly whether you need them or not. Why not turn them off?

* SSH or use iFile to navigate to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries and look around. See that libhide.dylib? When not rename it to .bak so it doesn't continue to run. Sure, you wont be able to hide icons anymore, but do you REALLY need that?

TESTED AND SAFE

* PreferenceLoader.dylib - Loads MS addon's preferences in Settings.app
    * libhide.dylib - Library used for hiding icons
    * libstatusbar.dylib - Used for 3rd party apps to have statusbar icons. (I.e. Backgrounder, MyWi, ect)\
    * smsgvextensionmail.dylib - Receives messages from the Mail.app, remove if you get yours from Push.

NOT SAFE

* Activator.dylib - It's REQUIRED for those things that use it. Don't mess with it.

Location Services, GPS, MMS, Ect.
    Sure these are all nifty little features, but how often do you use them? Luckily enough for us, Apple added these features with "toggles". **NOTE** Make sure you turn these off via settings before you start editing anything. **NOTE**

* The "toggles" I referenced above are not the ones in Settings.app, but the ones in your N**AP.plist. Such as N18AP or N82AP.

To disable these RAM whoring features go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app and open your N**AP.plist
    N18AP-iPod touch 3G
    N82AP-iPhone 3G
    N88AP-iPhone 3G[S]
    N90AP-iPhone 4
    Then look for the <key> string you would like to remove, such as auto-focus-camera or bluetooth.
    change the boolean value of <true/> to <false/>.

Do that for every feature you don't use.

These features include, but are not limited to,

* <key>auto-focus-camera</key>
    * <key>bluetooth</key>
    * <key>gps</key>
    * <key>international-settings</key>
    * <key>location-services</key>
    * <key>mms</key>
    * <key>multitasking</key>
    * <key>peer-peer</key>

The ones you've probably heard about...
    Launch Daemon removal, language pack deletion, and a few others. Sure there old, and you may have done them already. But I try and update these threads once in awhile and you might just find that theres somethings you missed!

* Language Packs. You can try to argue that this doesn't help at all, but I still beg to differ. And even if it doesn't, it still makes it a hell of a lot easier to navigate the filesystem.
    * Launch Daemons. This is PROVEN to free system memory and help a device.

Also to make Spotlight less of a nuisance, go to Settings>General>Spotlight and deselect everything. That way iOS won't cache everything you never need to look up.

The "Less Popular" One
    @2x.png image files are used by retina devices such as the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G. DO NOT run 2xrm on a retina device under any circumstance. It will require a restore.
    One of my own creations; 2xrm finds and removes all @2x.png images in the filesystem and removes them. It is good to free up space and help speed up a device. You could argue that it doesn't help speed up a device but it does make it WAY easier to navigate through the filesystem. And it nearly cuts the application size in half.

* 2xrm. Place the file in /var/mobile and set the permissions to 0777. Login as root and use MobileTerminal to run with command bash ./2xrm.

Downgrading Images to a somewhat "lower quality"
    What I have been working on the past couple days is downgrading images. So far, It REALLY helps UI speeds and makes the device just a pleasure to use. What I did was I use this neat little utility called ScriptPNG to reduce the size of the images. It's not very noticeable from the device either !

Here are the links and paths to place some of the icons that I have already compressed and slimmed. All you have to do is drag the images into the directory and overwrite the current files. ONLY USE THESE LINKS ON iOS 4.2.1, THEY WERE MADE FOR THAT FIRMWARE.

* Springboard.app iOS 4.2.1 - /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app (This file does NOT include the overlays. I didn't have them to put them into the .zip.)
    * Chatkit.framework iOS 4.2.1 - /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChatKit.framework
    * TelephonyUI.framework iOS 4.2.1 - /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TelephonyUI.framework
    * MessageUI.framework - iOS 4.2.1 /System/Library/Frameworks/MessageUI.framework

Care to help out and contribute your own framework/application? (Yup, you can do this for applications too!) Here's a step-by-step guide to create your own slimmed images! **Always make backups just in case!!!!**

* 1. Download fixPNG for Windows from here.
    * -->Drag them images from your device and put them into the png folder of fixPNGwindows
    * 2. Convert the images.
    * 3. Download ScriptPNG from here
    * 4. Select all of the icons (ctrl + click) and drag them onto the ScriptPNG file.
    * 5. When finished, place all of the images into a single folder called *Wherever you got the images from*.theme and place that in your themes folder on your device.
    * 6. Optimize the themes in Winterboard
    * 7. Drag out newly optimized icons from device and put in correct location.
    * 8. Upload and share with the rest of us!
    Last edited by xXrkidXx; 2011-06-15 at 01:23 AM.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

Thanks for this lengthy write-up. If I start renaming these things, then when my device tries to start them is it going to crash? Like [say] what if I hit the "hide icons" button by mistake? Is that going to crash the system? Does it simply do nothing?

You should also explain to people that the @2x files are for Retina Display devices, so if you're on an iPhone 4 or Touch 4, it's NOT a good idea to delete/ disable them.

Oh, and I feel I should explain this as well: the amount of battery life you'll save by disabling these features is negligible. Reading from memory is very low-power, but writing to memory uses both the memory and CPU power, so it drains the battery faster when you load. They maybe draw as much power as opening your Safari browser once. But these mobile substrate programs are loaded into memory after you respring or reboot, so if you do that a lot you'll use more power. Otherwise they're simply idle in the memory until you activate them.

Yes, it may save you a bit of system RAM to disable them from loading, but this will never be a problem to those of you that manage your RAM. I use MultiFlow and close open background programs if I know I'm going to use a particularly RAM-hungry game.

And lastly: themes are what will use more RAM and battery than any MS program. And really, that's why we jailbreak. Worrying about what little RAM an MS app will use, while still using a complex theme, is like worrying about that doughnut your just ate after eating an entire birthday cake.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 2011-06-14 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Thanks for this lengthy write-up. If I start renaming these things, then when my device tries to start them is it going to crash? Like [say] what if I hit the "hide icons" button by mistake? Is that going to crash the system? Does it simply do nothing?

You should also explain to people that the @2x files are for Retina Display devices, so if you're on an iPhone 4 or Touch 4, it's NOT a good idea to delete/ disable them.

Oh, and I feel I should explain this as well: the amount of battery life you'll save by disabling these features is negligible. Reading from memory is very low-power, but writing to memory uses both the memory and CPU power, so it drains the battery faster when you load. They maybe draw as much power as opening your Safari browser once. But these mobile substrate programs are loaded into memory after you respring or reboot, so if you do that a lot you'll use more power. Otherwise they're simply idle in the memory until you activate them.

Yes, it may save you a bit of system RAM to disable them from loading, but this will never be a problem to those of you that manage your RAM. I use MultiFlow and close open background programs if I know I'm going to use a particularly RAM-hungry game.

And lastly: themes are what will use more RAM and battery than any MS program. And really, that's why we jailbreak. Worrying about what little RAM an MS app will use, while still using a complex theme, is like worrying about that doughnut your just ate after eating an entire birthday cake.
    No, you need not be worried about accidentally hitting a button and crashing your device. UNIX file preferences are handled by plists. If theres nothing to read the plist then theres nothing that can cause a crash. It would just add the excerpt normally, but not have the power to enfore the action.

This was more or less for iPhone 3G's and iPod touch 2G's but I see your concern. I'll add the little excerpt for the "@2x" images.

And yes, on older devices those daemons really do make a difference. I brought my iPhone 3G up from 25MB to 44MB on an idle. On a free memory I get up to 55MB free.

What you say may be true about those MS addons being loaded into memory, but I still feel that slimming them to a minimum helps for a faster device. You may not notice on a newer device, but you will on an older one.
    Last edited by xXrkidXx; 2011-06-14 at 01:20 AM.
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

iPhone? More like MyPhone M3th0s's Avatar
    Thanks

I currently have dreamboard running with winterboard icons running in the background, lockinfo running, and a few other bits and pieces. Even have Beejive open. Device is responsive as ever (iPhone 3gs). As Jahooba mentioned, if you remember to close those ram hungry programs if you are not using them, you will not have a problem with ram. And, after all, thats why we JB (themes, tweaks, etc), so sometimes a little less ram more than makes up for a far more functional and themeable device
    Just my 2 cents anw :P
    It only takes a few seconds, but if I helped you, say thanks!

I said iPhone 3G. The one that has half the ram and CPU power that the devices your referencing.
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

NEW SECTION! Speed up your device by making those images less intensive!
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

Color Keyboard Yoda Phatmartino's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 310 Posts

Very nice! Learned several things to look into. I'm comaratively new to JB (my 5 or so month old iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1 is my first endeavor) and I have a couple questions if you don't mind teaching a new dog old tricks.

Looked into Language pack removal a bit. Any chance you could recommend a script that is as up to date as possible and/or at least at the moment there are only so many apps I really use all the time, so anything to look out for if I were to consider at least manually removing packs for my most used apps?

Possible additional info/question:

On iPhone 4 looking at native boolean toggles I have NA82AP, NA88AP and NA90AP.plist. The latter 2 have a key/string to include the preceeding and each has a different set of toggles. Haven't altered any yet, but I'm guessing this may be set up slightly different now? (and thanks for leading me here, this answers a few questions that had only vaguely formed in my head about features the settings app does not have "toggles" for. Awesome!)

More of a general question:

I've done a good bit of image replacement and plist editing without WB and in all cases I generally change the name instead of the extension (I suppose Microsoft has instilled an uneccessary paranoia about extension changing in me). So for example in an apps original folder I would always make a copy of a plist, edit the copy and rename the original info1.plist. Likewise when replacing .pngs I end up with a list at the top of a folder like: 1Balloon_1~iphone.png, etc. figuring it might come in handy to see all replaced images together. Any reason to use .bak in these instances that I'm not aware of?

Very useful thread! Thanks again!

AAHHH!! Tried hitting the "Thanks" button a bunch of times. Not working?? Tried refreshing page, signing out and back in, 2 different browsers. Never had a problem at all before. Any ideas? I'll try some more either way...
    Last edited by Phatmartino; 2011-06-15 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Thanks!?1?

Quote Originally Posted by Phatmartino View Post
    Very nice! Learned several things to look into. I'm comaratively new to JB (my 5 or so month old iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1 is my first endeavor) and I have a couple questions if you don't mind teaching a new dog old tricks.

Looked into Language pack removal a bit. Any chance you could recommend a script that is as up to date as possible and/or at least at the moment there are only so many apps I really use all the time, so anything to look out for if I were to consider at least manually removing packs for my most used apps?

Possible additional info/question:

On iPhone 4 looking at native boolean toggles I have NA82AP, NA88AP and NA90AP.plist. The latter 2 have a key/string to include the preceeding and each has a different set of toggles. Haven't altered any yet, but I'm guessing this may be set up slightly different now? (and thanks for leading me here, this answers a few questions that had only vaguely formed in my head about features the settings app does not have "toggles" for. Awesome!)

More of a general question:

I've done a good bit of image replacement and plist editing without WB and in all cases I generally change the name instead of the extension (I suppose Microsoft has instilled an uneccessary paranoia about extension changing in me). So for example in an apps original folder I would always make a copy of a plist, edit the copy and rename the original info1.plist. Likewise when replacing .pngs I end up with a list at the top of a folder like: 1Balloon_1~iphone.png, etc. figuring it might come in handy to see all replaced images together. Any reason to use .bak in these instances that I'm not aware of?

Very useful thread! Thanks again!

AAHHH!! Tried hitting the "Thanks" button a bunch of times. Not working?? Tried refreshing page, signing out and back in, 2 different browsers. Never had a problem at all before. Any ideas? I'll try some more either way...
    1. Check out LangPack by fubya(google it, I don't think I should link it)
    2. N90AP is for the iPhone 4, the N82 and N88 are for the iphone 3G and the 3G[S]. Since the iPhone 4 has all the features that those devices have they just made it so the device uses all 3. Edit N90 for your device though.
    3. No, no reason to use .bak I just did it because it was easier for me.
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xXrkidXx For This Useful Post:

Phatmartino (2011-06-16)

Color Keyboard Yoda Phatmartino's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 310 Posts

Again, thanks! All attempted tweaking successful so far. My phone is quite happy!