Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: file directories

Default file directories
    im using winscp to mod my iphone, but i cant find the right directory to put all my files into. i know that for the battery icon i go sytem>library>coreservices>springboard app is there an easy way to find out where all the other files that i want to change are located?

Color Keyboard Yoda Phatmartino's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 310 Posts

I'm on 4.2.1, so there would only be so many names and locations I could help you with that didn't change for 4.3, but not knowing myself what winscp interface is like in comparison, I can tell you that by using iFile (Cydia), I have been able to figure out almost anything I need on my own thanks to it's intuitive interface and ablility to see all of the files you're looking for as images, all right on your device. If you want to go that route, I would happily provide some insight as to gaining all of the knowledge you need with some simple time spent looking around your phone. A huge help can also be to download any theme that lists 4.3 compatibilty and use it as a tool to help find locations and file names. If you're not looking to use Winterboard, you can still install it and some themes and without even enabling them, look at the files by whatever method you choose.

Post any more questions and I'd be happy to try and help where I can. Any kind of more specific question could also net more response from other posters who are already working on 4.3.

Any which way, good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmartino For This Useful Post:

jonnyflyspeedflyspeed (2011-06-11)

I don't mind using winterboard to figure out the file locations, I'm just not sure how to do it. When I download something I feel winterboard as more of an on or off option for items downloaded from cydia. How do I use winterboard to figure out where those files are?

Color Keyboard Yoda Phatmartino's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 310 Posts

Well, if you don't have iFile and you were to get it, we could have a conversation that would lead you to everything you're looking for (not that I couldn't still help you without it). I always recommend it because all research can be done on device which I feel saves some time and "tethering" to your computer, it's entirely visual (you can easily see the .pngs as images to verify and/or just plain see what your looking for) and you can create bookmarks to go straight to locations such as WB themes, and has multi tab browsing of multiple locations to easily flip back and forth between say a theme folder and the original app/framework/etc. folder. It also has an amazing copy/paste functionality, edits and corrects text coding files, the list goes on and on. Costs $4.00, and is sooooooooo much more valuable than anything I've ever spent $4.00 on. It has basically taught me everything I know about modding.

Anyway, whatever the root browsing method, you won't be actually using WB at all, exept to verify that a theme works, and maybe in some instances to enable the themes to help verify that what you've found is what you're looking for. You need to "SSH" to the WB themes folder.

For me at least the WB themes folder is located at:

/var/stash/Themes.XmoGHc/

If this is different per device or per iOS, at least iFile (maybe winscp?) has a search feature that allows you to just search for the entire or even part of a theme name that you've downloaded for WB. So I used that functionality immediately to create bookmarks to my WB themes, Color Keyboard themes, Photo Album, any apps original folders that I want to mod without WB, etc.

So once you've found the WB folder, any theme you've dowloaded that you know successfully does what you want is right there for you to view the .pngs, plists, etc.

Once you see the inner workings of a theme, the structure basically shows you where all of the original locations are and what files it is overriding. Comparatively simple.

For instance each theme's main folder has some elements located right there, and then any number of a few folders that will always look the same:

"Bundles" contains com.apple.appname locations
    "Folders" contains AppName.app locations
    "UIImages" contains global UI elements
    to name a few, and the contents of those folders can be searched for in iFile and the results will include what is in the theme, as well as the originals. This will also start to show you that there are some things that don't actually exist natively, but modders have figured out filenames to override what seemingly doesn't require a physical original file.

Anyway, it will seem like a lot to take on at first, but trust me (especially with iFile) it gets easier and easier. If you get started looking into it, reply with ANY questions at all and I will be happy to expand and help out!