Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: dont want data plan

Default dont want data plan
    I am trying to find a way i can use my iphone without a data plan.I dont use data just my wi fi.I recently put my sim card into a cheap cell phone and had my data turned off to save me the 15.00.I dont have 3g around here and i never used the data anyway.I have data turned off on my phone thru sbs settings.Is there a way i could put the sim back in my iphone and at&t not put the data plan back on me?Any kind of mod i can get,or some other tweak that could help me accomplish this?I have a 3gs jailbroken on 4.1 right now.

The data plan is controlled by your contract with your phone company. I don't think they'll sell you an iPhone without a data plan.

You're contractually locked in to the plan, so I doubt you can separate the plan from the phone - your phone company will charge you for the plan each month whether you use the data or not.

i already have the iphone,i just want a way to put my sim back in it so i dont have to have a data plan.i dont want or need data.there must be a way.

Sounds plausible to me, but I wouldn't want to toy with AT&T, they'll charge you in a heart beat with the slightest indication of a phone change

it could be done. You just need to jailbreak your phone and download sbsetting. There is an option that allows you to turn off data.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

But when ATT does a sweep or checks IMEIs then it will see it is an iPhone no matter if it uses data it will get data added on to the package.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by lazyazn View Post
    it could be done. You just need to jailbreak your phone and download sbsetting. There is an option that allows you to turn off data.
    But you will still be charged

If you don't use data, Att (i think) won't charge you
    Make 100% sure you canceled data, go to Settings -> General -> Network, turn cellular data off, and pop in the sim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

That only works for a short time. Just making a phone call or even being on thier network they can see you are using a iPhone because of the IMEI number. All smartphones on ATT require a data plan; they will change your plan to add on data.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

wow, i didn't know that... guess who's not gonna join att...