Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need Help Setting Up Dynamic DNS to VNC iPhone over 3G?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Need Help Setting Up Dynamic DNS to VNC iPhone over 3G?
    Ok so I am trying to use iDNS to setup a DNS server on my iPhone so that I can VNC into it over 3G and not have to know the IP address if that was to change. I setup a DynDNS account and put all the credentials into the iDNS app on the iPhone, but where do I go from here? On the Real VNC app on my Mac, what is the VNC server address from my iPhone? Normally this would be my IP, but with dynamic dns added into the equation, is it supposed to be my dyndns hostname address? If someone could explain the process of setting this up, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

dont think you can access a cell providers ip since all connections are translated at the public boundary to their network. I use openvpn server free running on a gentoo VM on a PC sitting at home, then use guizmovpn on iphone to nail up a permanent VPN connection. This allows you to do a little port forwarding on your home router and have virtual LAN access to your phone at all times to VNC or SSH etc. It looks like a local IP

Easy to configure and the guizmovpn client does a fantastic job of resetting itself and reinitialising the connection after a loss of service or any other blip in connectivity. (Unlike the pure openSSH solutions which tend to die and hose up the server)