Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it Possible to Block Jailbreak Detection?

Default Is it Possible to Block Jailbreak Detection?
    My company released an iphone profile that allows users to connect to the exchange server. Unfortunately it blocks jailbroken devices.

Is there a way to make my iphone appear virgin to this profile?

Thanks

Just curious, how do you know it blocks jailbroken devices?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's very easy to detect, and maybe not-so-difficult to defeat. What isn't easy .... understanding the techniques used.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-02 at 07:46 PM.

One of the announced features of the profile is that it detects and blocks jailbroken devices. That announcement, combined with my inability to connect, gives me the impression they are truly taking steps to detect jailbroken iphones.

What those steps are, I have no idea. They could simply be looking for Cydia to be installed, or going much further than that.

MES - Where would you start? If Cydia was the target, how could I test that? Remove it and reinstall via SSH after testing? What other areas are probable?

THANKS!
    Last edited by MinksMedia; 2010-11-02 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Exactly. A simple /bin/bash test script for Cydia.app or even a test for a Cydia created folder link or a misc-combination of many things will accomplish the detection. Gotta know what the parameters are before it can be defeated.

Look around during the installation and see if anything pops out. I use the 'find ... -atime' cmd for recently changed and/or modified files/folders then go from there. Sometimes I have several shsh sessions open during installs running various utilities to monitor the process.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-02 at 07:24 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

MinksMedia (2010-11-02)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

some apps i have keep crashing when im jailbroken. i know a fix. tell them to change udid to randomness. i did and it fixed a app but its not that easy as far as i know on 4.0. some apps like the textpics know your jailbroken. i actually bought it though but it always crashes:[

iPhone? More like MyPhone onelow99's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxhasadhd View Post
    some apps i have keep crashing when im jailbroken. i know a fix. tell them to change udid to randomness. i did and it fixed a app but its not that easy as far as i know on 4.0. some apps like the textpics know your jailbroken. i actually bought it though but it always crashes:[
    Thats wierd, I have the app TextPics on my jailbroken i4 on 4.1, and it never crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by MinksMedia View Post
    My company released an iphone profile that allows users to connect to the exchange server. Unfortunately it blocks jailbroken devices.

Is there a way to make my iphone appear virgin to this profile?
    Wow that's crazy that a company would fight a jailbroken device.
    I am guessing g there looking for cydia. Because every different jailbreak is in a different place where they patch it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Looking for Cydia.app is the easiest but easily defeated. Testing for write access to the root partition, or testing for symbolic links to primary directories, or testing the /Applications folder for non-standard apps are just three examples of more robust and not-easily defeated methods.

There are many many changes common to all jb'd phones.

If an app does test for jb'd status, it likely incorporates more than one test.

Note: Userland jb's are a bit harder to detect but require standard Apple firmware upgrades that cannot be any-carrier unlocked.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-04 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    ^Looking for Cydia.app is the easiest but easily defeated. Testing for write access to the root partition, or testing for symbolic links to primary directories, or testing the /Applications folder for non-standard apps are just three examples of more robust and not-easily defeated methods.

There are many many changes common to all jb'd phones.
    True but do you think they would go as far to do all that?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    True but do you think they would go as far to do all that?
    It's hard to say. Depends upon how serious they are. IE: Right now, I have an App store app that says my phone is jb'd and claims to not run -- but it runs anyway (haha) (Can't remember which one atm).

A serious dev would utilize multiple methods because it's not that difficult to do.

BTW: Take a look at Saurik's code in /usr/libexec/cydia. He is a genius I was sooo impressed with what could be done with so little coding.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-04 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onelow99 View Post
    Thats wierd, I have the app TextPics on my jailbroken i4 on 4.1, and it never crashes.
    i have 4.1 also? did you get yours as jailbroken or pre jailbroken? i got mine b4. but now it doesnt matter:[ everytime

iPhone? More like MyPhone onelow99's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxhasadhd View Post
    i have 4.1 also? did you get yours as jailbroken or pre jailbroken? i got mine b4. but now it doesnt matter:[ everytime
    I got it after I jailbroke. Never had a problem with it. Have u tried uninstalling and reinstalling?
    This is my PEACE sign -->

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Cant computer broke and the app store crashes when i click on it. Do you have theone from "ftw"? Its the origanal but theres copies of it

Default Good for Enterprise
    HI, I am interested in this as well. My company uses Good for Enterprise which i believe uses iOS 4's built in jailbreak detection. Is there a plist i can edit to make it appear to not be jailbroken.

Angry same issue
    i have same issue. how can we beat this detection!

there is a long log created while you install application and use your email ID and 12 digit pin to start the service... sitting at /var/mobile/applications/Good or "coded application name"/library/caches/gl-log.txt

but could not find what specific task ran to detect JB

any insight?

I believe that the best spot to look at would be the actual IT policy. Do we know where that is located? If we could change the value to say ignore jailbreak we may be able to solve our problem. There are other folks who use good with jailbreaks and don't have issues so there must be a place to change this.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

like i've said to my friends before, It is probably looking for a mod that if you jailbroke you probably cant live without (i.e. Mobile Substrate) try removing that mod and see if it works.. i'd just guess and check...

Default good enterprise
    Hallo - I used to use Good fine in my old jb'ed IOS 3G phone(IOS 4 ish). on a whim I upgraded to 4.1, JB'ed it, and now I get the same security policy warning. I agree that the underlying test for jb device probably does a bunch of checks.
    seems to me that from a general solution point of view itd be better to figure out what exactly goes on with these "security policies" and how to tinker with those, maybe something we could apply to more apps down the line. ill ssh in tonight and see what might be going on.
    on a funny note, when i load Good now, it takes my app password, decrypts the local database, downloads my new messages and sets new appointments. & THEN blankets my message view with this IT security policy crap pane.
    Last edited by vicinity; 2010-11-17 at 06:35 AM.

Default ?
    vicinity: anything you found while sshing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast