Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How can you duplicate an appstore App

Default How can you duplicate an appstore App
    I have an Appstore App I wish to duplicate (Sky+) have thus have two versions of installed on my springboard. One I will link to one sky account, the other app I wish to link to another App account.

I've tried copying the app folder at /var/mobile/Applications (the one made up of a long name of numbers and letters) and changing info.plist etc but cant seem to make a new app appear. Tried searing the net for answers but not instructions I've seen have worked.

Does anyone know how to do this?

anybody any ideas
    Last edited by davidmaiden18183; 2010-10-14 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I imagine its possible, maybe not from the appstore, but to manually install, I would think so.. I would think first install for example angrybirds, then rename angrybirds.app to angryguywithnotenoughofthesameapp.app (justkidding), appstore might still show the app as installed, try either itunes sync on your computer to add it again, but I would try ******* or installer or use Cydia/AutoInstall folder and place 2nd .ipa in there and reboot.

just kidding , is that angrybird game that good, I never played it, and dont plan on it.

Wish you the best,
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-10-15 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Removed Piracy App name
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisrotolo For This Useful Post:

davidmaiden18183 (2010-10-15)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrotolo View Post
    I imagine its possible, maybe not from the appstore, but to manually install, I would think so.. I would think first install for example angrybirds, then rename angrybirds.app to angryguywithnotenoughofthesameapp.app (justkidding), appstore might still show the app as installed, try either itunes sync on your computer to add it again, but I would try ******* or installer or use Cydia/AutoInstall folder and place 2nd .ipa in there and reboot.

just kidding , is that angrybird game that good, I never played it, and dont plan on it.

Wish you the best,

Thanks, I have a try at some of this.

I didnt mention the Angrybirds game
    Last edited by davidmaiden18183; 2010-10-15 at 09:13 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrotolo View Post

Wish you the best,
    Are you talking about renaming the .IPA? If so that won't work as it doesn't use the name of the ipa to check what app it is.. I'm pretty sure it will use the payload to check what app it is..
    So as far as duplicating apps go, I don't think it's possible..
    Your best bet would probably be to email the developers and see if they will add multi-account support to the app

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Default should be possible
    It should be possible to duplicate the app. You'll need to change the cfbundle id. If you go into the youapp.app folder and open info.plist there will be a line with com.company.appname. If you copy the .app folder to var/stash/application and chagne com.company.appname to com.company.appname02 it should work. Sorry if my explanation is confusing.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipwnm0nster View Post
    It should be possible to duplicate the app. You'll need to change the cfbundle id. If you go into the youapp.app folder and open info.plist there will be a line with com.company.appname. If you copy the .app folder to var/stash/application and chagne com.company.appname to com.company.appname02 it should work. Sorry if my explanation is confusing.
    Doing it like this won't work, apps need to be installed in order to work, not just dumped in the appropriate dir.
    The only way would be to change the cfbundleid by unpacking the .ipa and opening the info.plist, then it will have to b packed again and installed via iTunes
    P.S the ipa won't have a legit signature after being repacked so you will need.. Bs, can't remember the name...

Appsync! You'll need appsync lol, pm me if you need the repo as it's not aloud to be talked about on here
    Last edited by iNT3Rv3NTiONZz; 2010-10-25 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi,
    just a few threads below it is explained. I can duplicate with that tut but the app (Storm8 game) won't start, yours may work better.

http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/6...same-apps.html

I used to do this all the time back when I had a 3GS, I don't recall exactly how, but I believe you just had to rename a few things in the file with the app name and directory name and all that... but I only got that to work with apps I downloaded from Insta_llous. I downloaded them, edited them and installed them using [email protected] I know it's frowned upon to use that service, but I mostly did it with apps I had already purchased thru the app store, so no guilt trip here. :P

good job fellas, I knew it could be done, now lets get outta here before we get mod/slapped.
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter