Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Alternative multitasking on iPhone 4?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Alternative multitasking on iPhone 4?
    Hey guys. I recently purchased an iPhone 4 (which is a god dam beast) but I HATE the native multi tasking. It's so annoying that you have to close every app in the task switcher after exiting them. I know there are ways to disable this by tweaks from cydia, but here's my question:

Can I disable the native multi tasking, and use something like multifl0w? Or do I need to keep the native multitasking for multifl0w to work? I just don't like the way the app always stays open until you manually close it in the task switcher. I'd like an option if I wanted to keep that app running, or to close instantly when I exit the app (like backgrounder, on my 3G it was just a matter of setting an activation method - holding the home button in my case - and that would keep that app open, but close any others instantly when you exit).

I'm waiting for the 4.1 jailbreak, so I just want to know a few good ways to prepare myself lol. All suggestions and help is much appreciated! Thanks

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

You can disable the native multitasking and install backgrounder if you would prefer it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Funked (2010-09-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    You can disable the native multitasking and install backgrounder if you would prefer it.
    Do I need ProSwitcher or some other app to work along with backgrounder? I like the look of multifl0w, is it possible to disable the native multitasking and use it? Also, do you know if Activator works on 4.x? And can I disable the voice control feature too? (So I can hold down the home button to background something rather than open voice control).

Sorry for all the questions!

Go download Switherplus it came out the other day, it's so nice and easy, I believe it's exactly what your looking for, please thank me if I helped

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanejoe View Post
    Go download Switherplus it came out the other day, it's so nice and easy, I believe it's exactly what your looking for, please thank me if I helped
    I'll try and search for it and see what I think, I can't download it yet as I'm still waiting for the 4.1 jailbreak :P That's why I'm just trying to get some ideas so once the jb comes out, I'll be good to go! Thanks for your suggestion

Edit: I had a look at it and I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. From what I can tell, it's just multitasking from the lock screen and a few other features. Though I want a complete alternative for the native multi tasking method. Thanks for suggesting it though

You can disable to native multitasking through backgrounder, then use multifl0w to background and switch between apps like on 3.x.

Thanks

You can shut off multitasking along with many other features such as Nike.app, voice control and others. I haven't got the exact directory at the moment but your waiting on a JB anyway. Once you JB you will need iFile, in one of the folders there is a .plist that you will edit fields from "true" to "false" So it will say multitasking "true" and after it should say multitasking "false".. that will shut off multitasking and change it back to "true" if you ever want it back to normal.
    As for the new multitasking I use backgrounder with multiflow and activator does work and I use activator to double click the home button to open ipod music almost exactly how it was before iOS4.
    I'm sure this will spark someones memory and they will post the exact folder path to shut off multitasking. If not I will post it later when I have access to my pod.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Can someone clarify which multitask app works on iP4/iOS 4? I know backgrounder is fine but what I used to like using with backgrounder was Kirikae or Proswitcher. Are either of those now iOS 4 compatible? I don't know if the compatibility list here on MMi is up to date.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
    You can disable to native multitasking through backgrounder, then use multifl0w to background and switch between apps like on 3.x.
    This sounds like the best option. I think I'll try this once the 4.1 jailbreak is released. Thanks buddy!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shawnmars View Post
    You can shut off multitasking along with many other features such as Nike.app, voice control and others. I haven't got the exact directory at the moment but your waiting on a JB anyway. Once you JB you will need iFile, in one of the folders there is a .plist that you will edit fields from "true" to "false" So it will say multitasking "true" and after it should say multitasking "false".. that will shut off multitasking and change it back to "true" if you ever want it back to normal.
    As for the new multitasking I use backgrounder with multiflow and activator does work and I use activator to double click the home button to open ipod music almost exactly how it was before iOS4.
    I'm sure this will spark someones memory and they will post the exact folder path to shut off multitasking. If not I will post it later when I have access to my pod.
    I think ur talking bout M68AP,N82AP,N88AP & N90AP plist files (depends on iDevice) found at: /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/

Thanks

@MKBLADE Yes Those are the .plist's that I was refering to. I have found that editing those files are the simplest way to turn off multitasking with the option to turn it back on. I know there are many app's that you can get off Cydia that will do alot of these things like disable multitasking or apps like "make it mine" that change the status bar but it's easier to change the plist's instead of having a bunch of extra app's.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shawnmars View Post
    @MKBLADE Yes Those are the .plist's that I was refering to. I have found that editing those files are the simplest way to turn off multitasking with the option to turn it back on. I know there are many app's that you can get off Cydia that will do alot of these things like disable multitasking or apps like "make it mine" that change the status bar but it's easier to change the plist's instead of having a bunch of extra app's.
    Agreed.I change my plist,files,etc. on my own as well rather than having 30+ apps all installed on my iPhone to do something I can easily do myself lol......
    You Know You Want to Hit It...[Thanks!]

Ok. Go into Cydia and download Ifile (doesn't have to be the paid one). Then navigate to /system/library/coreservices/springboard/N88AP.plist and after you find it tap it and look for
    multitasking

now change the to and push save in the top right corner. After that you just need to restart your iPhone and when you double tap it won't show multitasking. If you want multitasking without the native one just go into Cydia and search backgrounder. And then if you would like to make it fancy install multiflow or proswitcher or dock. Now to remove all backgrounded applications just search Cydia for Remove Backgrounding and install the tweak for sbsettings or if you don't want sbsettings just install the tweak that uses activator to instantly clear all Backgrounding apps. If you have anymore questions message me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Can someone clarify which multitask app works on iP4/iOS 4? I know backgrounder is fine but what I used to like using with backgrounder was Kirikae or Proswitcher. Are either of those now iOS 4 compatible? I don't know if the compatibility list here on MMi is up to date.
    I know for a fact that Multifl0w is i4 compatible as I have it on my iPhone 4. Once the Multifl0w dev announced that he was updating it for iOS 4, chpwn, who was originally shelving proswitcher for good, said that he will go ahead and make Proswitcher compatible. I believe Chpwn put it on the back-burner until he finishes his revamping of Cydia and whatever (if any) involvement he has with the forthcoming jailbreak. I have no clue about Kirikae.
    Last edited by mortopher; 2010-09-20 at 11:15 AM.

Can u get multifl0w without backgrounder? What if I just get "disable ios4 multitasking" from cydia, then install multifl0w without backgrounder, would that work? (I have activator already) I'm only saying because backgrounder kills my battery.

Thanks

You can use multifl0w with the native multitasking; that's how i have it set up. I like Apple's multitasking, I just dislike how they display it. There wouldn't be any logical reason to disable ios4 multitasking and then installing multifl0w w/o backgrounder because then you would never have more than 1 app showing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Funked (2010-09-21)

Thanks

Multifl0w doesn't enable multitasking by itself. Since you don't want apps to automatically keep running, you need to disable iOS 4 multitasking and get backgrounder. There are other free multitasking displayers, like circuitous, which displays a dock that slides up from the bottom like native multitasking. With backgrounder, you also have the choice of running apps in the background like they're programmer to do for iOS 4, or running them as if they're still the primary app.

Oh I see, so multifl0w just dispays the apps in a cool way, but doesn't actually multitask them. So I have to get either backgrouder or use the native. That makes sense. Thanks. Does anyone know If it's possible to put the screen orientation lock switch in settings? So when I use multifl0w I'll still have access to it without having to change things in activator

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I'm gonna use multifl0w with the native multitasking first to see how I like it, and if it fails then I'll disable native multitasking and use backgrounder with multifl0w. Just hope the 4.1 jailbreak gets released soon, I hate all these boundaries!