Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mod iOS 4 Folder Icons?

Default Mod iOS 4 Folder Icons?
    What I would love to see is a way to mod the iOS 4 folder icons to a custom icon of my choosing (like what you can do in categories cydia app). Do you think this is possible or will be possible?

I actually have an idea how to achieve this. What if there was a way to to enlarge the mini icons in the folder to a 114X114px? That way the mini icon would "grow" to a normal icon size and overlap the existing folder. I'm a noobie when it comes to modding so any experienced people out there think this is possible? Where would I begin? What code creates these "mini icons" and where would it be located?

iPhone? More like MyPhone branco145's Avatar
    Thanks

This is hardcoded. We can't edit it!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

NO IT'S NOT, go to system/ library/coreservices/springboard.app and its called "foldericonbg" there is a whole thread on teeming Joe4 put together by me and another user, search ios4 theming tips u shud see it

Lol dw didn't read properly
    Last edited by iNT3Rv3NTiONZz; 2010-08-21 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

remember the icons name is FolderIconBG.png not folderIconbG.gif.

Ok so I can't change the size of the mini icons...I know I can change the backgrounds of my folder icons. Now my question for you all is this: Can you mod each folder icon separately, i.e. each folder icon have it's own different background?

I'm interested in this as well. I would either like to change the BG for each folder individually or set a custom icon for each.

I've been searching, but don't see any active projects related to this.

If it isn't against any rules, could someone PM me a de-optimized version of FolderIconBG.png? I think I can provide a custom folder bg for each folder, but I want to start with that one. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

@amadomon I don't think its possible to have different folderivons for each folder, there will probs b a wb update which will let you do this

de-optimized png file? Anyone?

Thanks

sorry cant help you, i replaced mine and dint backup, how did you optimize it anyway? is it possible to copy all images (say out of springboard.app) into a wb theme, then press optimize in winterboard and then copy them back into the original directory???

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Optimizing is easy. In fact the icon came to us that way, courtesy of Apple. I want a DE-optimized (ie, editable) version. Anyone?

Thanks

No icons don't come optimized CS5 opens them no problem, but anyway I'm sure u can get software for optimizing Google it

Quote Originally Posted by Amadomon View Post
    Optimizing is easy. In fact the icon came to us that way, courtesy of Apple. I want a DE-optimized (ie, editable) version. Anyone?
    Just use this website. Once you upload your optimized image to the site, it de-optimizes it for you.
    decode PNG

All you gotta do to get a "de-optimized" icon is use ifile. With ifile you can save the optimized icon into your photos. Once saved into your photos, just email the "de-optimized" icon to yourself, and there you have it.

Just out of curiousity, what does optimizing do to the icons in winterboard other than making them un-editable?
    Last edited by rmul86; 2010-08-31 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rmul86 For This Useful Post:

Amadomon (2010-08-31)

Thanks for that tip. In response to your question, optimizing reticulates the splines (Google it).

For now, all I've done is remove the ugly background of the folder icon so that my wallpaper shows through, but I'll try to tackle the issue of separate icons for each folder soon. Thanks again for the iFile trick-- I love that app.
    Last edited by Amadomon; 2010-08-31 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

So what everyone is saying is that all we have to do to get a different Folder Icon is go into our iPod or iPhone's files using OpenSSH and go to System/Library/CoreServices/springboard.app and then replace the FolderIcon.png with the icon you want your folder to look like?

Quote Originally Posted by tbailey103 View Post
    So what everyone is saying is that all we have to do to get a different Folder Icon is go into our iPod or iPhone's files using OpenSSH and go to System/Library/CoreServices/springboard.app and then replace the FolderIcon.png with the icon you want your folder to look like?
    yep

actually [email protected] (iphone 4) or FolderIconBG.png (other iphones)
    Last edited by rmul86; 2010-08-31 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rmul86 For This Useful Post:

tbailey103 (2010-08-31)

Quote Originally Posted by rmul86 View Post
    yep

It worked! Thanks! Do you have any idea how or even if it's possible to change the amount of icons in the folder? And I don't mean by using infinifolders. I already use that. What I want to do is to put them back to only having four rows and four columns. Right now my springboard has 6 rows and 5 columns, therefore so do my folders. But I want to change that. Any help? Thanks again.

guys i jus change the image.. an i messed up my home screen... i didnt put the correct dimensions... can someone please put up there original FolderIconBG image for me ( so stupid of me not to back it up) or can u give me the dimensions for it ... plezzzzzzzzzzz.. its urgent.. cant see a thing on my screen

never mind.. i got the size an i got it to work.. .. size is 57x57 if anyone wants to know
    Last edited by smohammed09; 2010-10-06 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by rmul86 View Post
    yep

This post is like two months old, but if you could answer me a question, I'm on 4.1 firmware and changed the folder icon, how do i get the little mini app icons to stop being in front of it? is there anywhere to make them transparent without changing the app icons themselves? or make it so the folder icon is infront of them?
    Last edited by Jayridin; 2010-12-05 at 07:20 PM. Reason: doesn't show my firmware in my profile description