Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: is it possible to enable Facetime on an iPhone 3G?

Default is it possible to enable Facetime on an iPhone 3G?
    Not sure if this has been asked before, I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I'm pretty new to this forum but I've had a jailbroken iPhone 3G since its release. Anyways...

I've seen people enable multitasking by changing multitasking key from false to true using ssh like the link here ( HOW TO: Enable Multitasking On iPhone 3G Running iPhone OS 4.0 | FSMdotCOM )
    However, in 4.0.1 for the iPhone 3G I had to manually add <key>multitasking</key> <true/> in order to enable it.

So, it got me thinking, could I do the same for Facetime? Apple said multitasking was removed from 3G. But, a simple mod to the .plist made it possible. So, is it possible to also add Facetime in the same manner? Does anyone have the .plist from an iOS4.0.1 3GS or 4 with facetime they can provide?
    Last edited by air2thethrown; 2010-08-03 at 09:43 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

facetime is only possible on iphone 4 because it requires the front camera. no point having a VideoPhone app for something you can't see when using...
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Kind of pointless to have facetime without a front facing camera, dont you think?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    facetime is only possible on iphone 4 because it requires the front camera. no point having a VideoPhone app for something you can't see when using...

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Kind of pointless to have facetime without a front facing camera, dont you think?
    Mac Daddy World Blog Archive Two-way Video Conferencing for iPhone

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I wasnt denying that it wouldnt work haha Im just saying whats the point? Youd still have to add some weird contraption to make it work well on both parties' ends.

Im just getting an iPhone 4 haha.

Facetime uses front or rear camera depending on which you let it use. So again, I will ask whether it is possible or not.

Pointless? You're talking and something happens in front of you and you want to share it. Is it pointless then? Watch some of the facetime commercials and notice that they don't use just the front facing camera... I'm asking whether its possible to enable facetime on the 3G, not if there has to be a reason to have it.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Lol ok damn, don't get your boxers all bunched up.

Honestly, I'd use facetime to see the other person and allow the other person to see me simultaneously. To use the back facing camera renders me unable to see the other person. To show the other person what I see (like my puppies playing while Im holding the phone screen facing me) then sure, that'd be great, but in the other aspect it isn't.

Honestly if facetime is so important, consider selling your device and getting the iP4. If you can't afford it, keep trying to get it on your device or save up until you can get the iP4

otherwise, i think it's possible to do if some devs put some work into it.

Given that FaceTime basically runs off wifi anyways, I can't see any function a front facing camera offers that any mirror large or small facing the LCD can't also do.

As far as I'm concerned, a bathroom mirror or $5 compac serves the same purpose, albiet a little goofy looking, saves you the fresh 790 shovel out.

But of course this isn't really about making something pre-existing work anyways, now is it?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Facetime will work fine without wifi if the phone is jailbroken

In theory (yours to be precise) you can then walk around with a compact mirror in public to utilize it :P

I feel like itd be an insane drain/drag on a 3G, the least would be to make it work on a 3GS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

alright..if you really like to have FT on iP3G[G]...then I suggest looking into {obviously an iP4 device}:

/System/Library/DataClassMigrators/FaceTimeMigrator.migrator {folder}

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/N90 {folder}

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/N90AP.plist
    You Know You Want to Hit It...[Thanks!]

Default Yes you can video call, but it's not FaceTime...
    Yes you can video call using your iPhone 3G, but it's not through FaceTime. You need to install an app called Live Link..

You can find more info HERE

Download Tango free in the app store and Tango to other users. Just a video app with audio. Stand in front of the mirror and see each other.

Tango is NOT compatible with iPhone 3G.

Last edited by wildmanviper; 2011-03-25 at 10:34 PM.

There must be a way to enable it natively because iphoneislam enabled it on a iphone 3GS????

Yes, it's actually possible through Live Link. Read this post:
    Video call using your iPhone 3G! kid_ant