Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adding system sounds to customize

Default Adding system sounds to customize
    Hey everyone,

I have been looking all over for an answer to this question, but it doesn't appear clear anywhere in the forums. Anyway, what I'm trying to do is add system sounds to my customize app. I have downloaded the video games and borat sound set and those appear to be functioning fine. I noticed they are .aiff files so I tried rename some system sounds that I found on my own through downloading to that file extension. I WINSCP'D the files I found to my customize folder where the other system sounds I downloaded from installer were. Unfortunately, the files appear in customize, but when I go to assign them to certain sounds they don't work. Can anyone explain a way for me to add system sounds to customize and have them available as options on my phone?

It all depends on which sounds are u try to change and what firmware are u running? Get back to me and I'll help u out.
    They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be.
    They only lack the light to show the way.
    For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son.

I've been trying to change some of my system sounds as well through Customize but have been unsuccessful. I'm wanting to change my SMS Notification sounds and my lock/unlock sounds. I'm running 1.1.4 but I had to do a little trick so that customize would work on it, so it thinks that I'm running 1.1.3. Does this help? Thanks man.

same for me I'm running a jailbreak 1.1.3

I've tried to make this work through Customize and have been unsuccessful.

However, I have made my own SMS sounds work, here's how:

1) Convert the sound you would like to use to a .caf (I use Switch on my Mac to do this, it's free)

2) Use CyberDuck (Mac) or WinSCP (Windows) to access your iPhone's file system. There are some great threads on here about how to do this, but here's how to do it:
    a. go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> click on the blue arrow to the left of the wireless network you're connected to, look at the IP Address listed
    b. open a connection in CyberDuck or WinSCP using the IP Address you just found
    c. The username will be "root" and the password will be "alpine"
    3) Once you're in, go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
    4) Scroll down to the sms-received1.caf through sms-received6.caf, these are the various SMS Notification sounds, simply adding a file to this directory will not put it in the list on the phone.
    5) You need to replace one of those sms-received.caf files with your sound, keeping the same name, just a new sound. It will then appear in the SMS Sound list as the same sound name it was originally, so if you replace what used to be the "Horn" sound with a new sound, you still click on "Horn" to set that sound.

I've done this with a few different sounds and it works flawlessly. The best part is, you don't need a third party application to do this. You can also do this to add ringtones to your phone for free (although it's a different directory you add them to), or change any other system sound you would like. Fully customizable!

Let me know if you have any problems or need any more help. "Thank" me if this works for you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThirstyTurtle For This Useful Post:

lilmizqtpi81 (2008-04-13), volly20 (2008-03-26)

Hello,

I've installed the Borat sound set via customize on my iphone, and i want to remove it. I uninstalled it and I still have it playing when I unlock my phone. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by chynatown View Post
    Hello,

I've installed the Borat sound set via customize on my iphone, and i want to remove it. I uninstalled it and I still have it playing when I unlock my phone. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    I think that you need to "Revert To Backup" also. I would reinstall the sounds, go into Customize to each Borat Sound and click on "Revert To Backup" at the top, then uninstall the Borat Sound Set. Hope this works for you, if not, I have another idea. Let me know.

I tried "Revert To Backup" and it didn't do anything. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Do you know how to access your iPhone's file system via CyberDuck or WinSCP?

If not, here are directions:

a. go to "Installer" on your iPhone and install "BSD Subsystem" and "OpenSSH", both of which are listed under the "System" heading on the list of things to install
    b. soft-reset your phone after installing these items (turn it off and then back on)
    ca. on your iPhone, go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> click on the blue arrow to the right of the wireless network you're connected to, look at the IP Address listed
    d. open a connection in CyberDuck or WinSCP using the IP Address you just found as the "host" name
    e. make sure you're using "SFTP(Secure File Transfer Protocol" as yourprotocol
    f. The username will be "root" and the password will be "alpine"
    g. hit connect and it will probably ask you to allow the connection, or something to that effect, hit yes, always allow

then follow the instructions down there __V__V__V__

If so, do this:
    Go to /System/Library/Audio/UISound/ and verify that you still have a file called "lock.caf" and a file called "unlock.caf", if so, put them on your computer and play them to confirm they are the correct "stock" lock and unlock sounds and that they work.

If so, then go to /private/var/root/Library/Customize/AudioFiles and here you should see some folders or files, syphon through these to find your Borat noises. Delete them, all of them, including the folder containing them (unless they're directly in "AudioFiles" and not within another subdirectory).

Now restart the phone, go into Customize and hit "revert to backup" again, does this work? Let me know.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThirstyTurtle For This Useful Post:

addybgrilla (2008-04-07)

I followed your instructions but did not find any folders or files under customize/audio files. I went to customize and hit "revert to backup" again and it's still there......

Thanks,

Well I'm stumped, if there aren't any files in that folder, I don't know where the Borat sound files could even be. Did you check that the original lock and unlock sounds were still in there correct location and working? If they were, then I don't have any idea how or why this is happening, and I don't know of a way to fix it without doing a restore:-(

There is one file listed under audio files, when i double click on it, it brings me back to customize. If I click on audiobackup, all the files are there and work perfect. I don't know what else I can do.

Thanks for some of the information. I suppose for the people that developed the customize app or that create sound apps for customize that this question is more suited for. I understand your point regarding switching sms notifications by overwriting the existing file name, but I guess what I'm asking for is how to create sound apps (Like the video games and borat sound apps that already exist in installer) so that they can be used easily by accessing customize. From what I see so far thirsty turtle has the only semi-viable solution, which is greatly appreciated by the way.

Well you can use the same method I said to use, but place your sounds within "Customize" under the sounds folder, within your own personal folder, I've done that, and it works as well, that way you can switch them more easily, but for SMS Notification, it hasn't worked great for me. I did use Customize with my own sound set in that folder for lock and unlock sounds. Also, I changed my keyboard noise to a cool little bubble sound, it's baller. Does that rambling make sense? It's 1:30 a.m. and I've been studying for like 6 hours. College=hard.

Ok what your explaining sounds like what I want to do, because I want to change my new mail sounds and unlock/lock sounds using customize. Do you think you could explain a little better in more of a step by step fashion. Would be very much appreciated.

Sure thing, if you refer to my post slightly higher on the page, I give a very detailed step-by-step process on how to do it. Do you need even more details? Maybe regarding a specific step?

Hey peeps..i hav cuztomize on 1.1.4 I hav the videogame n borat sounds and the work... i tried to add my own sounds through ssh in the same folder as the borat sound...but it doesnt work. they are the same file extension and everything....I want to put quotes from "Superbad" for my lock/unlock sounds...n e 1 hav suggestions

Try making a new folder and putting the sounds in there. That's what I did. I just made my own folder in the same directory that your Borat sound folder is and I called it "Personal" and put all my sounds in there and they all show up just fine and dandy. Are you SURE they're the same audio format?

I'm running 2.2.1 and I don't know where the custumize sound directory is. I saw var/root/Library/Audio files on another post, but there wasn't an audio file. Where isthe direct location that you put your sounds in?