Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 mistakes old mod carrier settings as current.

Default iPhone 4 mistakes old mod carrier settings as current.
    Help!
    -Bought iPhone 4, everything worked.
    -Restored backup (Mac), lost the data connection.
    -Installed Unlockit custom carrier settings and got data back, but lost VVM. I need VVM back without losing data!

Tried:
    -Restored to factory settings = no data. (multiple tries)
    -NO carrier profile is available to remove. (factory settings)

I THINK (educated guess) that iTunes is somehow mistaking the old custom (tether hack) carrier profile as the legit carrier profile. Again IT DOES NOT show up as a profile I can remove. No profile appears unless I install the Unlockit one.

How do I get to the current AT&T carrier settings/profile if a factory restore fails to do it?

You should just be able to call ATT and have them reprovision your phone.

Meaning...call ATT and tell them to reprovision your phone. Will fix data issues.

I looked up reprovision in the MW Dictionary and got nothing. I don't know what it means in this case, and I'm guessing I'll get an AT&T rep on the phone who won't either and will ask me to explain.

Back with the initial no-data I also called AT&T and they 'sent some settings to the phone'. It didn't work, but I don't know exactly what they sent.

So should I remove my Unlockit profile before calling? I literally ask them to "reprovision" my phone? Can the cust support people do it, or do I need to escalate to technical support?

Thanks for the help.

Googling it gets a million explanations....

Provisioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Googling it gets a million explanations....

Provisioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Oooooooohhhh.

And should I remove my Unlockit profile before calling?

I'm hesitant since the Unlockit.co.nz site has been down.

UPDATE:

Solved, but I am not sure how. Here's what I did:
    1. Removed Unlockit profile.
    *at this point I had NO data OR vm.
    2. Reinstalled Carrier Settings Update (via iPhone under the hood: Carrier settings and configuration profiles | Mobile | iPhone Central | Macworld)
    3. Restarted.
    *at this point I STILL had NO data OR vm.
    4. Restored to factory settings 4.0 from unedited local file (the same file that failed before, over 10 times)
    5. Set up as NEW device (NOT restored from backup)
    *at this point I had vm, but NO data. (the same procedure that filed before, about 4 times)
    6. Restarted.
    *somehow data connection returned, and it SEEMS I have vm as well.
    Hitting iPhone:Phone>Voicemail actually dialed into the vm system initially, but minutes later prompted me for my password, and vvm then worked as expected after that point.
    Last edited by sbimos; 2010-07-10 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost