Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What happens if I delete iPhone files?

Default What happens if I delete iPhone files?
    I know its probably a stupid question, but what happens if I use a program like cyberduck and go in and start deleting files and folders from my iphone? Once those files are gone, can I ever get them back? If I try to re-install the original firmware will the iPhone go back to normal?

Thanks

I dont' know if you can get them back but yes if you restore your phone will be back to normal, back to all its factory defaults with all it's files back in place..

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You can delete files and lose them up until you restore the phone.

Or you could just change the file names which disables them. Like if the name was "Calculator.app" and you change it to "Calculator.app.bkup" that disables it. Change it back to enable.

Or you could copy and paste the files into your computer then delete off the phone. That will back up the files in case you wanna put it back on your phone.

Be aware, some files shouldbt be messed with. Could cause crashing or boot loops or the files might stop working if you disable/enable.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    You can delete files and lose them up until you restore the phone.

Or you could just change the file names which disables them. Like if the name was "Calculator.app" and you change it to "Calculator.app.bkup" that disables it. Change it back to enable.

Or you could copy and paste the files into your computer then delete off the phone. That will back up the files in case you wanna put it back on your phone.

Be aware, some files shouldbt be messed with. Could cause crashing or boot loops or the files might stop working if you disable/enable.
    Thanks. Do you know what files are the ones that I should stay away from?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Not really. There are a lot of system files you shouldnt mess with. You should probably ask us before you do it. Even if you simply disabled some things like I mentioned, sometimes it causes a boot loop or crash that leaves your phone unaccessable to re-enable it.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

stay away from anything which isnt an app e.g. calculator, mail etc. im not sure what else is safe, almost everything else will cause errors when the operating system tries to fetch them which, as Anniex423 said, will make a bootloop or brick =] what are you trying to do exactly? if its just deleting apples useless apps like stocks, weather and contacts then your fine

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLEW700 View Post
    Thanks. Do you know what files are the ones that I should stay away from?
    If you do not know which files you can and cannot delete in your iphone it would be best for you not to delete any unless somebody here with a lot of post and thanked is by his name!

Or if a Moderator from here stated that you can!

Its to dangerous if you do not know what you are doing!