Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: sms.db from iPhone 2G 3.1.2 to iPhone 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

Default sms.db from iPhone 2G 3.1.2 to iPhone 4
    Hey guys,

I'm finally planning on upgrading my iPhone to the iPhone 4 and was wondering how I would go about saving my texts?

1) Is it possible to put my iPhone 2G iTunes backup onto a new iPhone 4? Does iTunes allow putting your backup onto other devices? That will bring over my texts right?

2) Has anyone successfully manually brought a 3.x SMS folder over to iOS 4.0? This is assuming the SMS.db structure is still the same for iOS 4.0

thanks buds

Check out my post here: Backup up SMS.db.

I haven't actually restored it to my iPhone4 yet, but with I was able to get it off my 3G just fine. The process may be different for a 2G - I haven't ever tried with one. If you get it figured out would you mind leaving a comment with the details?

Thanks

I'm currently away from home, but I'll check this when I'm back. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshuap View Post
    Check out my post here: Backup up SMS.db.

I haven't actually restored it to my iPhone4 yet, but with I was able to get it off my 3G just fine. The process may be different for a 2G - I haven't ever tried with one. If you get it figured out would you mind leaving a comment with the details?
    No go, eh?

Restoring an SMS folder from 3.1.2 to iPhone4 4.0 hasn't been done by anybody? Is it in the same place on the iPhone4?

I really don't wanna lose my thousands and thousands of texts...

as far as u know, backing-up your iDevice means storing you contacts, messages, call history and something else on your computer and iTunes does that...it has nothing to do with the structure of those on your iDevice...
    i backed-up my iPhone on 3.1.3 and restore it on 4.0 and my messages were there...you should have no problem at all...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whookids View Post
    as far as u know, backing-up your iDevice means storing you contacts, messages, call history and something else on your computer and iTunes does that...it has nothing to do with the structure of those on your iDevice...
    i backed-up my iPhone on 3.1.3 and restore it on 4.0 and my messages were there...you should have no problem at all...
    That was my question #1... Can my iPhone 2G iTunes backup be applied to an iPhone 4?

Or less specifically, can an iTunes backup from one device be brought to another? i.e. iPhone 3G backup to iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G to iPhone 4?

I don't have two iDevices but you should be able to do that because you own the devices and if you want to have same stuff on both, i don't see any restraints...
    If by "upgrading to iphone 4" you mean buying one, you will still have your 2g...if that's the case, back-up your 2g and try restoring iphone 4 from that back-up...you have nothing to lose...
    Last edited by whookids; 2010-07-07 at 04:43 AM. Reason: U

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whookids View Post
    I don't have two iDevices but you should be able to do that because you own the devices and if you want to have same stuff on both, i don't see any restraints...
    If by "upgrading to iphone 4" you mean buying one, you will still have your 2g...if that's the case, back-up your 2g and try restoring iphone 4 from that back-up...you have nothing to lose...
    Well I'm selling my 2G, but will backup with iTunes before and manually backup SMS.db, callhistory.db, notes.db and such as well

Someone should really be able to answer that though. Cause there are thousands of people that have upgraded everytime a new iPhone has come out. I'm sure they don't have to start fresh.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I was not able to restore my address book file from my 3.1.2 3GS to 4.0. It kept freezing and showing a progress bar on my homescreen (as the one that shows when you are uploading a new firmware).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by codester3388 View Post
    I was not able to restore my address book file from my 3.1.2 3GS to 4.0. It kept freezing and showing a progress bar on my homescreen (as the one that shows when you are uploading a new firmware).
    Did you try SMS.db?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No I didn't as I didn't have any important text messages. But I have tried everything with that address book file and it just won't work.

Thanks

Well now my 2G is sold and I hope my iTunes backup of it can be applied to iPhone4 or someone will figure out a way to use sms.db

Thanks

Yes you should be able to move the SMS.db over from your old phone to the iPhone 4. Ios 4 keeps it in the same place as 3.xx. The problem is the iPhone 4 would have to be jailbroken to do it manually. This is not currently possible, that's why no one was able to confirm that they had done it already. I CAN confirm that I manually restored the sms.db file when I upgraded my 3GS from 3.1.3 to 4.0.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

DaMan05 (2010-07-09)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    I CAN confirm that I manually restored the sms.db file when I upgraded my 3GS from 3.1.3 to 4.0.
    Excellent! Thanks

Can you tell me the permissions for when I get to doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    Yes you should be able to move the SMS.db over from your old phone to the iPhone 4. Ios 4 keeps it in the same place as 3.xx. The problem is the iPhone 4 would have to be jailbroken to do it manually. This is not currently possible, that's why no one was able to confirm that they had done it already. I CAN confirm that I manually restored the sms.db file when I upgraded my 3GS from 3.1.3 to 4.0.
    Hi,

Could you please detail how you did it?

I've been trying to do it, but the sms.db doesn't work on 4.0. The sms.app opens and reads it but apparently can't write to it (sending sms crashes sms.app, and deleting has no effect - messages are still there after quitting and relaunching sms.app).

As a test I even tried just copying a working 4.0 sms.db to my Mac and then copying it back the iPhone (using scp) and the same problem happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

@daman05 i was waiting for an answer from you if you restored your iphone 4 from 2g back-up and what did that do???

Hi

I never did a restore, since I have a jbrk 4.0 so I messed around with sms.db, but....

I solved my problem!!
    All that was left to do is restart the phone itself. Apparently just quitting the SMS app doesn't work. I'm assuming there's some background process trying to keep the sms.db open or something.

Thanks

In case he doesn't answer, have you tried setting the permissions of the whole folder to 777? That did it for me on 3.1.2

Default sms and address book
    I was able to restore sms and addressbook. The address book was the one causing a bit of a problem at first, getting that "loading" type of bar and no contacts would appear, but then I modified the permissions of the backed up/restored files to 777 and that worked.

I upgraded on 3gs from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1

Permissions on the uploaded DB need to be fixed. 0644 / Mobile