View Poll Results: Possible or not ?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

74 83.15%
  • no..

15 16.85%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [POTENTIAL] Theming Without Winterboard (NEARLY THERE)

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by renjii1985 View Post
    Ive*been*working*on*alot*of*different*angles*regar ding*the*avoidance*of*winterboard...*I*did*have*on e*recent*break*through*with*lowering*the*ram*usage *of*all*the*data*loaded*into*the*ram*thus*raising* the*free*ran*available...*However*regarding*this*p articular*point*about*the*dock*it*seems*possible*b ut*i*think*you*need*access*to*a*mac(which*i*dont)* which*makes*twice*as*easy*and*faster*but*windows*i s*limited*in*the*modding*department...*I*stumbled* upon*a*site*that*had*some*small*code*and*a*little* explanation*on*size*and*changes*of*various*UI*elem ents*but*ive*not*been*able*to*find*it*again*but*fr om*memory*it*had*something*to*do*with*SDK*Developm ent...*

Unfortunately*nobody*at*these*forums*is*or*that*iv e*noticed,*very*helpful..*As*in*have*an*explanatio n*for*the*problems*you*seek*answers*to..

I'll*post*my*work*on*the*less*ram*usage*work*when* i*refine*it*a*little*more
    dude i dont want to sound rude at all...but seriously, what you said is semi-interesting, but i could barely read it... it seems like it'd be harder to type with stars than a space, so why do it? jw
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

hey relantlessdan: i just finished reading ur post and its a very good idea and very possible i got an iphone 3g and winterboard was really lagging my phone when i would install heavy good looking themes with all the goodies like springjumps ,stacks, bigger icons, fiverow springboard,5row dock etc... and i was able to have those themes with some playing around with the stock files and chainging there appearance and not use winterboard which making my iphone faster and able to play heavy games without crashing which made me very happy.All this was done with alot of patience and not being scared on messing up my iphone and so far with success, hopefully this was what ur trying to achieve and a newby at all this but i can try to help anyone that is stuck somewhere but that is if time allows me .Peace to all.

For those guys who want to see my work, heres a link to a second preview of my program.
    Please watch the video on YouTube since embed makes the text i wrote in video ugly as hell and unavailable to read.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n0s3fti4iI[/ame]

hmm i tried the plist files, no luck so far. watching update vid as i type!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

@ollox

nice video, I'm sure you spent alot of time with your program but correct me if I'm wrong wouldn't it just be easier if you ssh'ed the picture to your phone and used stock wallpaper applying method?

Quote Originally Posted by hadzo View Post
    @ollox

nice video, I'm sure you spent alot of time with your program but correct me if I'm wrong wouldn't it just be easier if you ssh'ed the picture to your phone and used stock wallpaper applying method?
    Well, this program backups everything on your computer, so if anything wents wrong on your iDevice, it's stored back on the hoster. And well, to the question about spended time. I was available to make a very beta version in the first couple of hours.

Also, i'm working on the program since i've totally nothing todo, boredom..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ok, since Ios4 is right around the corner the whole background thing should be done. So the big thing now would be?

alright guys this is simple but we need a dev. basically, u open an app the app has a nice ui you can select a theme, itll save your SBDockBG(2) and your lockbackground and wallpaper and other.artwork into a folder, and swap em with the theme ones taken from another folder. its quite simple if we work out how the wallpaper thing works and we have a dev

Quote Originally Posted by wannabprogramma View Post
    dude i dont want to sound rude at all...but seriously, what you said is semi-interesting, but i could barely read it... it seems like it'd be harder to type with stars than a space, so why do it? jw
    yeah sorry about that i was testing the Opera mini app for my iphone and for some reason a copy and paste made the spaces turn out as *'s...

and in answer to the "interesting" nature of what i was attempting... i have finished and the result was saving a couple MB ram for springboard... i dont know if its really worth it so i havent bothered posting it... that and its a fair task to do... so many file replacements

Wait if you could work out what your saying would that mean we could say move the dock to the side of the screen or the top instead of it being at the bottom?

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

has anyone thought that extending the dock upwards will cover all springboard icons?? if you do manage to edit size of dock you will also need to "send it to back" effectively, so it does not cover the springboard icons... i imagine anyway.

I would have a look but ifile doesn't seem to work on ios 4

This thread is killing me.

Way, way back there was a new phone, the iPhone 2G. It was not customizable. Some brilliant hackers got together and used Apple's access and update tools to create a filesystem access from a PC. They did this by modifying the music syncing service not the phone to grant access to the whole filesystem and not just user information. This was called jail breaking because the original service was running "in jail", i.e. with restricted access.

With some work others created tools to copy and replace files on the phone with other files using this service, such as iPhoneBrowser.

And some started customizing their phones by editing and replacing the UI files.

Unfortunately doing customization this way had lots of downsides. And so, another group created a tool to allow icon and wallpaper customization in a limited fashion without replacing files. This meant, for example, that themes could be stored and switched on the phone quickly and easily. However, this group found other things to do, and there product stopped working on new firmware. So saurik heard the outcry of the customizers and decided to create a tool to replace the original, that would generalize what it tried to do so that separate customization could be applied to everything. This meant, for example, that an app update wouldn't require re-editing then phone filesystem because your changes were erased. It also meant that themes would survive most firmware updates intact.

And so the original tools that were used to replace files, or switch themes by copying and replacing lots of files, fell out of favor and were no longer updated.

Though I try to make sure iPhoneBrowser continues to work so I can easily install my WinterBoard themes.

Seriously this was all done before, and abandoned as WinterBoard is better. But you can look up the old posts to see how and why.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Blackboard
    Do a search here on ModMyI for BackBoard!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-07-02 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling

iPhone? More like MyPhone shmi117's Avatar
    Thanks

^That requires Winterboard. And, ummm, it is called BackBoard.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to shmi117 For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-07-02)

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    This thread is killing me.

Way, way back there was a new phone, the iPhone 2G. It was not customizable. Some brilliant hackers got together and used Apple's access and update tools to create a filesystem access from a PC. They did this by modifying the music syncing service not the phone to grant access to the whole filesystem and not just user information. This was called jail breaking because the original service was running "in jail", i.e. with restricted access.

With some work others created tools to copy and replace files on the phone with other files using this service, such as iPhoneBrowser.

And some started customizing their phones by editing and replacing the UI files.

Unfortunately doing customization this way had lots of downsides. And so, another group created a tool to allow icon and wallpaper customization in a limited fashion without replacing files. This meant, for example, that themes could be stored and switched on the phone quickly and easily. However, this group found other things to do, and there product stopped working on new firmware. So saurik heard the outcry of the customizers and decided to create a tool to replace the original, that would generalize what it tried to do so that separate customization could be applied to everything. This meant, for example, that an app update wouldn't require re-editing then phone filesystem because your changes were erased. It also meant that themes would survive most firmware updates intact.

And so the original tools that were used to replace files, or switch themes by copying and replacing lots of files, fell out of favor and were no longer updated.

Though I try to make sure iPhoneBrowser continues to work so I can easily install my WinterBoard themes.

Seriously this was all done before, and abandoned as WinterBoard is better. But you can look up the old posts to see how and why.
    for experienced themers this could be done. But your average new to jailbreaking would never do this. I do not think the idea is good since your repacking native files which could cause restore after restore for those who try and fail and it would get old and WinterBoard is just the easiest way to go.... IMHO

Thanks

i agree with Lib that winterboard is safer.
    but if you know what youre doing and keep backups then its much more efficient replacing the actual image files, so far i havnt touched winterboard since i updated to OS4 and my phones running like a beauty lol
    and having to restore isnt a definate, for example i made my own FolderSwitcherBG the other day and accidently left it as a jpg you can see what happened in the pic below, all i had to do was chuck a png back in there and it workd fine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -fsbg-fail.png  

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

I'm the developer of whited00r project (I'm building a iOS4 similar firmware for old iPhone2G)
    I hate winterboard and I will never include it.
    For Wallpaper I sed SMS/Springboard Wallpaper but now I have a problem with icon label.
    They are no visible on light wallpapers.
    Can we mod something (font color?) or there is a lite mobile substrate addon that change it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattewRE View Post
    I'm the developer of whited00r project (I'm building a iOS4 similar firmware for old iPhone2G)
    I hate winterboard and I will never include it.
    For Wallpaper I sed SMS/Springboard Wallpaper but now I have a problem with icon label.
    They are no visible on light wallpapers.
    Can we mod something (font color?) or there is a lite mobile substrate addon that change it?
    i also dont use winterboard and would like to change font colour without it i will have a look around today

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there anyway to change the Home screen wallpaper without Winterboard or anyother app?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast