Results 1 to 6 of 6

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Free iPhone Space

  1. #1
    Default Free iPhone Space
    Howdy, guys! I'm about to leave on vacation for a week, and I want to free up as much space on my iPhone 3g (3.1.2), as possible! I recently had to do a restore of my iphone, and just after jailbreaking and unlocking, I had 700 mb of disk space free. Now, after doing some general modding (QuickReply, 266 Theme and Requirements), I have something like 598 mb. Generally speaking, I'm just looking for general tips to help free up space; anything you can think of, really. But here's some thoughts I had. Feel free to chip in!

    1.) I've removed language files on my Mac before, and that freed so much space it's frightening. I've read in other places about doing this on the iPhone, but the quick script everyone is using wouldn't work for me—as I speak French, Svenska, and English on a daily basis, I need those three languages and not just English&Japanese. I'm not very good with command line, and I"m scared to do this manually. Can anyone help me out and whip a mod of the language script for my own personal use? If possible, a guide on modding the script for multiple languages in general would be nice, and I'm sure other Europeans and Multilinguists would appreciate it!

    2.) BossTools: Looked like a great idea for iPhone 2.0, but is there anything like it for the 3.0 software? Is it possible to do something like a defrag on the iphone? I would imagine it's too small a system for something like that to be a problem, or the hardrive wouldn't work that way—but then again, what do I know?

    Thanks so much guys! Feel free to chip in with your own $.02!

    -Luke

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by lukechanning View Post
    Howdy, guys! I'm about to leave on vacation for a week, and I want to free up as much space on my iPhone 3g (3.1.2), as possible! I recently had to do a restore of my iphone, and just after jailbreaking and unlocking, I had 700 mb of disk space free. Now, after doing some general modding (QuickReply, 266 Theme and Requirements), I have something like 598 mb. Generally speaking, I'm just looking for general tips to help free up space; anything you can think of, really. But here's some thoughts I had. Feel free to chip in!

    1.) I've removed language files on my Mac before, and that freed so much space it's frightening. I've read in other places about doing this on the iPhone, but the quick script everyone is using wouldn't work for me—as I speak French, Svenska, and English on a daily basis, I need those three languages and not just English&Japanese. I'm not very good with command line, and I"m scared to do this manually. Can anyone help me out and whip a mod of the language script for my own personal use? If possible, a guide on modding the script for multiple languages in general would be nice, and I'm sure other Europeans and Multilinguists would appreciate it!

    2.) BossTools: Looked like a great idea for iPhone 2.0, but is there anything like it for the 3.0 software? Is it possible to do something like a defrag on the iphone? I would imagine it's too small a system for something like that to be a problem, or the hardrive wouldn't work that way—but then again, what do I know?

    Thanks so much guys! Feel free to chip in with your own $.02!

    -Luke
    The script your talking about(Is it a sinful thing to do?) Asks you what language packs to remove.. you type y or n when it asks you to remove a language. and why do you need all those languages? Do you constantly change the language on your phone? If you leave it on one then just keeps those.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by xXrkidXx View Post
    The script your talking about(Is it a sinful thing to do?) Asks you what language packs to remove.. you type y or n when it asks you to remove a language. and why do you need all those languages? Do you constantly change the language on your phone? If you leave it on one then just keeps those.
    I hadn't seen the "sinful" version of this, but it's the same script I've seen elsewhere. That'll be pretty useful then, and I'll give it a go! As for the languages, I use all three to text to different business and personal contacts throughout the day. I need all of them, and thanks to the handy world button at the bottom of the keyboard, it's easy enough to switch between them
    Thanks! Any other space-saving suggestions?
    Last edited by lukechanning; 2010-05-05 at 03:29 AM.

  4. #4
    Text Inputs

    System/Library/Text Inputs
    Keep only the ones you need. Emoji is in there too. Dont delete Emoji if you use it. But wait , there's more..
    See link below.

    http://*************/topic/59485-sup...__hl__langpack

    Cant get the link to post. On the Xsellize website, search super ultimate iphone speed.
    Last edited by rafx80; 2010-05-06 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rafx80 View Post
    Text Inputs

    System/Library/Text Inputs
    Keep only the ones you need. Emoji is in there too. Dont delete Emoji if you use it. But wait , there's more..
    See link below.

    http://*************/topic/59485-sup...__hl__langpack

    Cant get the link to post. On the Xsellize website, search super ultimate iphone speed.
    you cant link because the forum is against piracy.. and that's all that website is about.

    But yes, that was the script I was talking about.. Works like a charm.
    iPhone 3G 4.2.1 - iPod touch 3G 5.0 Beta 1
    Windows 7 - OS X 10.5.6

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to xXrkidXx For This Useful Post:

    rafx80 (2010-05-08)

  7. #6
    To update, I used that script yesterday, and whoever on *cough cough* wrote it needs a slap on the back. Worked wonderfully, and I even flubbed a y or n, but it let me correct the issue. Great script.
    In reflection, for other multi linguists who might find this, I probably could have deleted the other two languages—français, and svenska—as my phone is in English for my personal use and I'm not even sure the var/mobile folder has much of the system language packs in it—as far as keyboards, actual springboard, etc. I didn't look. But then again, saving three packs doesn't take up too much room, compared to the 3000 something files the script deleted. Just a thought.
    So now that I've cleaned out my language issue, any other thoughts? And thanks so much you guys!

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •