Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPSW Re-compressing problem.

Default IPSW Re-compressing problem.
    Ok, I think I'm onto something. I'm editing an ipsw file and have already decrypted a dmg and edited it to my liking, but, of course something goes wrong. I've figured out that while changing an ipsw to a zip and back is fine, decompressing and recompressing the zip and changing it back to an ipsw is NOT. Whenever I try to restore to the ipsw iTunes does not accept it at all.

Simply put

IPSW to ZIP to IPSW = iTunes is happy
    IPSW to ZIP to DECOMPRESSED FOLDER to ZIP to IPSW = iTunes angry

The only problem is that I need to decompress the zip in order to edit the files, then revert it back to an ipsw. Anyone know a solution? If I need to be more specific just ask.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Because the IPSW is not meant to be a .zip in the first place and not meant to be decompressed. Download with firefox and it downloads it as a .ipsw.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

then how would I go about editing the contents of an ipsw file? My main goal is to edit the insides of the ipsw file and then to somehow recompress it, is that even possible?

How did you decrypt it? Im looking for this a long time ago... I would be really pleased if you write a tutorial for that