Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: .Trashes & .fseventsd folders

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Default .Trashes & .fseventsd folders
    I noticed these two 'hidden' folders on the iPhone awhile back and finally got around to do research and testing.
    For the average Mac user, these may be well known. For everybody else, their function may be implied but what should/can we do with them? Reference link: .Trashes, .fseventsd, and .Spotlight-V100

The .fseventsd is the file system events storage location. I think it's unused on the iPhone. However, in my case it had 100MB in 4 files all dated 9/27/2009 3:15PM, owner/group were '-unknown'. According to the link above, add a zero-length file named no_log to the directory and delete the old entries. This will free up 100M and disable logging (if it even occurs on the iPhone).

The .Trashes folder (and it's contents) can be deleted and replaced with a .Trashes zero-length file. This should disable the trash completely. aka: touch .Trashes

Note: I first noticed the .Trashes folder with rsync backups. When I added the --delete option to rsync, several /private/var/mobile/Library/Mail/IMAP---google--- emails would be deleted from the archive and the same files immediately restored to the archive (same date/time/size). This happened every time. Crazy I thought. After replacing the. Trashes folder with a .Trashes file, this problem has gone away

Note: Use WinSCP or DiskAid to delete the .Trashes file (don't use Mobile Terminal). Why? It's much to easy to make a mistake and delete the whole root filesystem! Be safe

I'm wondering why those files would even show up on your iPhone's file system...