Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Remove Ads On Cydia!

Thanks
    Smile Remove Ads On Cydia!
    Advertisements appearing in Cydia apps and other applications on your iDevice are very annoying. Disabling or removing the ads in Cydia & other apps on your iPhone or iPod Touch is very easy. Just follow the instructions below in order to get rid of Google and fastclick ads on iPhone.

Im not sure if saurik will be very happy about this, but i realy hate ads. I know it is what funds everything but im sure it wont matter too much not having ads on a few idevices.
    Before attempting you should note that once this mod is done you cant view the more info page on some packages on cydia. Not all but some.

Before doing this make a backup of any file i say to mod, Just to be on the safe side.

How to Remove or Block advertisements in Cydia

If you have installed the latest version of Cydia then follow the steps below-

Step #1 - SSH into your iPhone or iPod Touch and then navigate to /Applications/Cydia.app/package.js search for following line of code (it should be line number 209)

if (depiction == null)
    Step #2 - Replace it with

if (depiction == null || true)
    Step #3 - Save and you are done.

If you are having problems with the above. then restore the backed up file. Then do try this.

To disable Cydia advertisements, just SSH into your iPhone or iPod Touch and edit the hosts file found in /etc

Step #1 - Open /etc/hosts and insert the following two lines to disable the Google & fastclick Ads

127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
    127.0.0.1 media.fastclick.net
    Step #2 - Reboot your iPhone and Voila! No more annoying Google or Fastclick ads on Cydia App.

Second method is advisable as it will also disable or block ads from the description page of a package appearing from Google and Fastclick on all applications of your iPhone/iPod Touch.
    Last edited by tozza1000; 2010-03-28 at 03:35 AM. Reason: added the consequences

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Don't forget to add that if u do this, in most packages u can't view More INfo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by battlecrushr View Post
    Don't forget to add that if u do this, in most packages u can't view More INfo
    Ohh yeah totaly forgot, thanks for reminding me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Np. But it does make cydia load a lot fastr

Ya know, alot of the app development is supported by ads....since you are getting others hard work for free.......least you could do is support them.

thanks for this
    really made a big difference

The worst thing is: most paid apps also have ads on their Cydia page. That's just weak. Sadly, that happens in all the repos.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Ya know, alot of the app development is supported by ads....since you are getting others hard work for free.......least you could do is support them.

no one cares.

but anyways, thanks, I'll give this mod a try.
    (just realized I bumped a 3-month-old topic, sorry for that)
    Last edited by wilmat09; 2010-05-11 at 03:29 PM.
    Blah

Quote Originally Posted by wilmat09 View Post
    no one cares.

but anyways, thanks, I'll give this mod a try.
    (just realized I bumped a 3-month-old topic, sorry for that)
    Which is sad, everbody just wants to leech off someone else.

Thanks

I would normally be against this, but the volume of ads in Cydia slow it down to the point that people turn to Rock
    To live, you have to lie

Ad block does this and you can still see the more info bar. They also have an adblock Sbsettings toggle for when you feel like supporting the app development thing. Works well on all other apps too.

I read somewhere that this hack keeps cydia from updating. Heres the link:

Guide - Speed up Iphone Browsing (remove ADs)

Let me know what you guys think. And tell me if theres a workaround to still block ads, but without affecting cydia's update function.

Thanks

What I would do tho , once again is filter all the crap on the repos and then it won't be slow...i keep on saying the same thing because it's true...thee is a lot of crap on these repos like amateur themes that get 0 downloads , useless apps....really....who manages these repos? They need to let. Me handle that job so i can personally organize things and delete weak things and tell their dev to up their game.

Will give this ago tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Which is sad, everbody just wants to leech off someone else.
    yep. there's modern sociology for ya! Which is the problem sometimes... society needs to care more.
    Blah