Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing Icons Issue

Default Changing Icons Issue
    Hi,

Sorry if this is posted some where obvious but I have had a search around and cant seem to find an answer.

I have been changing icons for apps on the iphone and although its all gone smooth i am a littl confused with some icons.
    (im changing them manually as i have removed Winterboard due to lagg)

Most of the icons look how they should but some of them have a square outline around them with a shaddow. How do i get rid of this? See the image for what i mean.

Thanks

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0002.png  

I'm not 100% sure, but I hope what I say helps. You're pretty much using the same theme I am.

To reply to your question, the theme itself was designed to be used with Winterboard. You didn't state whether you started adding the icons with the problem before or after you deleted Winterboard, so what I think is happening is that there's a conflict with the standard square icon background. Also, while modding without the use of Winterboard is possible, its dangerous. Make sure you backup the original files first.

EDIT:
    Upon playing with the files, I noticed my initial advice was flawed. You have to manually replace the standard Default.png with the custom ones in the /Applications folder. That in itself should fix the problem.

Hope this helps!!

Heh... note to self. the SBBadgeBG,png is for the badges (mail notification counter,missed call counter, etc)....

Sorry for the mix up!
    Last edited by Azn_Sapper; 2009-10-04 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

There are a couple other threads on this, it is an issue with the info.plist file in the application directories. I can't remember what needs to change, search a bit and you might find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azn_Sapper View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I hope what I say helps. You're pretty much using the same theme I am.

To reply to your question, the theme itself was designed to be used with Winterboard. You didn't state whether you started adding the icons with the problem before or after you deleted Winterboard, so what I think is happening is that there's a conflict with the standard square icon background. Also, while modding without the use of Winterboard is possible, its dangerous. Make sure you backup the original files first.

EDIT:
    Upon playing with the files, I noticed my initial advice was flawed. You have to manually replace the standard Default.png with the custom ones in the /Applications folder. That in itself should fix the problem.

Hope this helps!!

Heh... note to self. the SBBadgeBG,png is for the badges (mail notification counter,missed call counter, etc)....

Sorry for the mix up!
    Thanks for your reply.

I removed winterboard first before changing the icons.

Ive downloaded the theme seperatley and looked at whats in the theme and its only icons. No added info.plist files or anything.

Does anyone have any info on what it could be? Also, what does winterboard modify in order to be able to show the icons for the apps as they should be and not with this issue? Surely this can be done manually?

Thanks

Andy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey, I had the same problem, couldn't really find the solution on here, so came up with my own... here's what I did:

SSH into your phone, and copy /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/Other.artwork to your computer
    (I'd highly suggest backing up the original)

Download iPhoneShop and export the pngs from Other.artwork

Edit the following files, making them completely transparant
    -AppIconMask.png
    -AppIconOverlay.png
    -AppIconShadow.png

Import the PNGs back into Other.Artwork and SSH it back to your phone.

Thats It!!

Remember, you'll want to copy the Other.artwork file that will be created in the Other folder with the PNGs, not the one you imported from.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to torturedsoul802 For This Useful Post:

Mess` (2009-10-09)

Quote Originally Posted by torturedsoul802 View Post
    Hey, I had the same problem, couldn't really find the solution on here, so came up with my own... here's what I did:

SSH into your phone, and copy /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/Other.artwork to your computer
    (I'd highly suggest backing up the original)

Download iPhoneShop and export the pngs from Other.artwork

Edit the following files, making them completely transparant
    -AppIconMask.png
    -AppIconOverlay.png
    -AppIconShadow.png

Import the PNGs back into Other.Artwork and SSH it back to your phone.

Thats It!!

Remember, you'll want to copy the Other.artwork file that will be created in the Other folder with the PNGs, not the one you imported from.
    Genius However i seem to have a problem with iphoneshop.

I have the other.artwork file in the correct folder and can export all the images to the other folder, i replace the files above with the images i want, then run the "Import.bat" file. It creates a new artwork file in the other folder but this again contains the original images for some reason??

Im completly stumped! I've re-downloaded iphone shop again and ran from a different location on the pc also cleared the temp files before and after import/export.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Andy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, I've never had that problem... this is what I've done, step by step:

-Create a folder called iPhoneShop on your desktop

-Put Export.bat, Import.bat and iPhoneShop-1.3.jar in that folder

-Create another folder within called Other (\Desktop\iPhoneShop\Other)

-Run export.bat, which puts the PNGs in the \Other folder

-Change whatever files you want

-Run import.bat

-Delete the Other.artwork located in the \iPhoneShop\ folder

-The one located in \iPhoneShop\Other should be modified

-If you wish, copy the new artwork file back into \iPhoneShop\ and export
    again to ensure the files were changed.

-RENAME the Other.artwork file to Other.artwork.bak on your iPhone

-Copy the new file over (I use WinSCP personally)

-Respring, possibly reboot if a respring doesnt change anything

I've used this process to change tons of files, including loading spinners and icon frames...hopefully this works out for you. By the way, I used Photoshop CS2 to change the 3 icons to transparent if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by torturedsoul802; 2009-10-09 at 05:49 PM.

8GB iPhone 2G
    Jailbroken 3.1.2 Firmware
    Winterboard Free
    Now with ANDROID Power!!

-------------------------
    HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1)
    Random Eclair/Donut ROMs
    CyanogenMod Recovery 1.4
    8GB Class 6 Transcend Micro-SD w/ A2SD
    Compcache w/ Backing-swap
    ADOBE FLASH ENABLED
    Haykuro's Danger SPL

Yup thats the process i went through the first time.

Done it again and no dice!

Im going to re-download iphoneshop 3.0 and create a new user on the pc and see if that helps...

Will let you know in 5...

No dice!

I've no idea whats up with this now. Is there a temp location it extracts the files to? Maybes its importing them from there aswell?
    Last edited by Mess`; 2009-10-09 at 07:27 PM.

Right tried this on a vista pc, a change from my xp machine and same thing.
    Each pc has latest Java runtime installed. Ive even ran the import from the command line and still no dice

Im completly at a loss

If any of you would be so kind to help me out i would really appriciate it.

The 3 files below are what im wanting to replace, if any one can be so kind.

Also any ideas on what the issue could be?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Out of curiosity, what device / firmware are you on?

8GB iPhone 2G
    Winterboard Free
    Now with ANDROID Power!!

HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1)
    Random Eclair/Donut ROMs
    CyanogenMod Recovery 1.4
    ADOBE FLASH ENABLED
    Haykuro's Danger SPL

Quote Originally Posted by torturedsoul802 View Post
    out of curiosity, what device / firmware are you on?
    3g 3.0.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, the 3 icons you posted are the ones you want to replace the stock ones with?

8GB iPhone 2G
    Winterboard Free
    Now with ANDROID Power!!

HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1)
    Random Eclair/Donut ROMs
    CyanogenMod Recovery 1.4
    ADOBE FLASH ENABLED
    Haykuro's Danger SPL

Yeah they are.

Ive just had another go with this and if i edit the original files in photoshop and just "rub out" the shaddow etc so the whole of each image is just a transparent image, then save and run import it all works fine.

But if i try to use these files it doesnt work

I cant find any info anywhere but do the file sizes have to stay the same or does it not matter?

Thanks

Andy

Could you guys give me the Other.artwork file to get rid of the shadow background? I've tried the editing the 3 files with iphoneshop, but nothing works

Edit: Never mind,got it to work
    Last edited by calamity; 2009-11-26 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Could you guys give me the Other.artwork file to get rid of the shadow background? I've tried the editing the 3 files with iphoneshop, but nothing works

Edit: Never mind,got it to work
    Just got on here now to post. Glad you sorted it.

hey, im not quite sure if this is what your trying to do but ill post it anyways. to get rid of an old overlay, or just trying to theme with a new one, ssh into your ipod/iphone and navigate to /var/mobile/Library/Caches...and delete the two folders named i think Springboardiconcache and Springboardiconcache-small...i think those are what they are called, but delete those two folders and then respring your ipod/iphone...if you have an overlay, it should theme ALL of your app store applications...hope this helps at all

anyone here whould have to artwork file done with no overlay and no mask? And could upload it somewhere?

Finaly i found the solution. Thank You

But now i have another problem after removing the shadow.

The problem was also present before the artwork mod.

The custom icons i imported are much smaller than the other custom icons. (it's only happening to appstore custom imported icon, not to non-appstore custom imported icons)

Whats the problem ?