Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WinterBoard Theme's SMS Bubbles Don't Work in 3.0.1

Default WinterBoard Theme's SMS Bubbles Don't Work in 3.0.1
    Under my Theme I have "Folders/biteSMS.app" in which I have:
    * bubble-incoming.png
    * bubble-outgoing.png
    * bubble-incoming-hilite.png
    * bubble-outgoing-hilite.png

As well, I have "Bundles/com.apple.MobileSMS" in which I have:
    * Balloon_1.png
    * Balloon_2.png

Between these two being set up for the theme specified in WinterBoard, this all worked fine under 2.2.x.

I recently moved to 3.0.1 and these no longer work. I had to use WinSCP to copy Balloon_1.png and Balloon_2.png from com.apple.MobileSMS to the folder:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChatKit.framework

Anyone know if WinterBoard is being updated to account for this situation?

Green Apple
    Thanks

This topic has already been covered on many other threads. Apple has changed the files for the SMS. Haven't heard anything about updated either.

Quote Originally Posted by SVD85 View Post
    This topic has already been covered on many other threads. Apple has changed the files for the SMS. Haven't heard anything about updated either.
    Please, if you have it handy, a link to the most relevant discussion on this so I can subscribe to it and kill this repeat topic.

Green Apple
    Thanks

... I may have been wrong. I just read Bubbles should work but the SMS background doesn't.

Not really sure which one is the most relevant discussion but check the "Skinning / Themes Discussion" section and "Winterboard" sub-section.

EDIT: I just installed "blue bubbles" cydia theme with winterboard and it worked for me. I will try and ssh into the phone and see if the file names have changed.

EDIT: Ok here are the files in that theme that work with winterboard: In the theme folder I have: Bundles > com.apple.chatkit > here is where i have Balloon_1.png, Balloon_2.png, and BalloonInputField.png. I would ssh into your phone and see if you theme has similar location folders.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by SVD85; 2009-08-11 at 05:46 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SVD85 For This Useful Post:

LogicAl2008 (2009-08-11)

Quote Originally Posted by SVD85 View Post
    ... I may have been wrong. I just read Bubbles should work but the SMS background doesn't.

Not really sure which one is the most relevant discussion but check the "Skinning / Themes Discussion" section and "Winterboard" sub-section.

EDIT: I just installed "blue bubbles" cydia theme with winterboard and it worked for me. I will try and ssh into the phone and see if the file names have changed.

EDIT: Ok here are the files in that theme that work with winterboard: In the theme folder I have: Bundles > com.apple.chatkit > here is where i have Balloon_1.png, Balloon_2.png, and BalloonInputField.png. I would ssh into your phone and see if you theme has similar location folders.

Hope this helps
    Yep. I just came back to say I found that my folder under Bundles needs to be changed or copied from com.apple.MobileSMS to com.apple.chatkit.

Tested and it works great! Phew.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation Messages.app / background png files where can i find them...

''Anyone knows whare i can find the messages.app background png icons ?

PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW!!!!!

thanks...

blanked: Be more specific.

If you're looking for a background image for the Text Messaging application, there isn't a solution for that at this time.

If you're looking for the bubbles, they are in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChatKit.framework if you're not using WinterBoard or they're in /private/var/stash/Themes.<something>/<ThemeName>/Bundles/com.apple.chatkit if you ARE using WinterBoard.

They're called Balloon_1.png and Balloon_2.png.

At this writing, only the bubbles are change-able. A background change for the SMS application is still being sought by many of us.

hello, i am having the same problems with my sms bubbles/theme not changing since the upgrade to 3.0.1. im a newbie and would like to get some help. i used the toki doki sms file before and changed my sms bubbles in to pink one and even added a toki doki background. Can anyone please help. thank you.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shiella View Post
    hello, i am having the same problems with my sms bubbles/theme not changing since the upgrade to 3.0.1. im a newbie and would like to get some help. i used the toki doki sms file before and changed my sms bubbles in to pink one and even added a toki doki background. Can anyone please help. thank you.
    Yes, I can help. First off, the sms background will not work as of right now. The bubbles do however. The the toki doki sms bubbles do not work because they have not been updated to work on 3.0.1.

However, If you know how to ssh into your phone (let me know if you need help with that), all you have to do is change the file name they are located in. If you ssh into your phone and go to /private/var/stash/Themes.<something>/tokidoki SMS.theme/ Bundles/ you will see a folder called "com.apple.MobileSMS." You have to change the name of this folder to "com.apple.chatkit." Then go into winterboard as you normally do. Unselect the theme (if it is already selected) and then select it to activate it. Then hit your home button, let the iphone refresh and the bubbles should work.
    Last edited by SVD85; 2009-08-14 at 02:47 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't know if this helps you at all, but I use SMS bubbles on 3.0.1 on a 3G S and they work. I just downloaded packages from Icy or Cydia (I think the choices are pink/purple, blue/gray, red/brown, orange/yellow and they also have twitter bubbles as well which are blue and green, probably my favorite.

If you are SSH'ing to set your own colors, I don't really do that anymore, so that I can't help you with, but the standard ones in Icy and Cydia "should" still work for you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As of the WinterBoard update SMSBackground DOES work now...! just put the png files in your themes like b4 and done...!!!!!