Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: tethering on iPhone 2G .... is it possible?

Default tethering on iPhone 2G .... is it possible?
    I'd like to know if it's possible to activate tethering option on my iPhone EDGE

I'm not sure but i would try PDAnet.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes it is possible. The app I use to use was called iphone modem.

However, on firmware 3.0 it's really easy and already built into the software. Go to help.BenM.at/help.php in iPhone Safari to activate tethering settings on your iphone.

I used PDAnet...works like a charm.

OP does not clarify what carrier he's trying to use and whether or not his iPhone is jailbroken.

For T-Mobile USA the BenM method DOES NOT WORK! The BenM method does get you on T-Mobile's Edge network (if you have a data plan which you have to pay for) but it does not allow tethering.

I just now got done trying it out after having tried and given up about a month ago, it does not work. Please quit spreading misinformation SVD85.

If you want to use an iPhone as a modem to your laptop, get a 3G. The 2G does not and probably will not ever tether.

EDIT 2: I just tryed PDAnet, installed via Cydia, using T-Mobile's Edge, iPhone 2G and connected to a MacBook Pro, and it works.

EDIT: Full version of PDAnet costs $29 and gobbles battery life unless you get the USB connection working which is only available on PCs as of this writing.
    Last edited by geminiboi; 2009-08-12 at 10:13 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geminiboi View Post
    OP does not clarify what carrier he's trying to use and whether or not his iPhone is jailbroken.

For T-Mobile USA the BenM method DOES NOT WORK! The BenM method does get you on T-Mobile's Edge network (if you have a data plan which you have to pay for) but it does not allow tethering.

I just now got done trying it out after having tried and given up about a month ago, it does not work. Please quit spreading misinformation SVD85.
    geminiboi, I don't think no do i ever spread misinformation. If anything it is the BenM's website that is misleading about the t-mobile not being able to tether. All I said is that it was possible to tether, gave an app that i have use on a 2g and knows that works, and also gave a site as how to activate it on 3.0 which Ben M's site says. Yes, I could have been assuming he was on At&T and did have a jailbroken iphone however being on this site it is not wrong to assume he did have a jailbroken iphone. As for the carrier part, ppl who do the carrier unlock should know their service is limited.

If you want to use an iPhone as a modem to your laptop, get a 3G. The 2G does not and probably will not ever tether.
    geminiboi, i think it is you spreading misinformation saying the 2g DOES NOT and probably will NEVER tether. I had a 2g and it worked perfectly tethering with the app iPhoneModem.

Maybe next time i should ask more specifically as to what phone the person has or what they have done to it but i think it would have been clear by going to the iphonemodem website what is requrired of them for the program to work.

Quote Originally Posted by stanisx View Post
    I'd like to know if it's possible to activate tethering option on my iPhone EDGE
    Sorry to raise the dead, but yes, it is possible to tether on an iPhone 2G on 3.1.2 using the default tethering option, for free.

T-Mobile USA Carrier Bundles: Bluetooth, Data/Internet, MMS, & Tethering (2G/3G/3GS)

Since my last post things have changed. I was wrong about the 2G not ever being able to tether. I stand by my statement that the BenM method does not work to tether a 2G with T-Mobile. Don't know about AT&T.

There is now an app called MyWi which does tethering on 2G 3G or 3GS. It works great, I have personally used this. You get a 10 day free trial and then it's $9.99. MyWi is only available via Rock. Find Rock on Cydia and install it.

Keep in mind, if you're using T-Mobile, then all you get is the Edge data network which rarely gives you more than 160 kbps download speed and in my city Edge frequently slows to dial-up speeds of around 30 to kbps.

Since my last post things have changed. I was wrong about the 2G not ever being able to tether. I stand by my statement that the BenM method does not work to tether a 2G with T-Mobile. Don't know about AT&T.

There is now an app called MyWi which does tethering on 2G 3G or 3GS. It works great, I have personally used this. You get a 10 day free trial and then it's $9.99. MyWi is only available via Rock. Find Rock on Cydia and install it.

Keep in mind, if you're using T-Mobile, then all you get is the Edge data network which rarely gives you more than 160 kbps download speed and in my city Edge frequently slows to dial-up speeds of around 30 to kbps.
    Why pay for something that isn't OEM?

The thread I linked to above provides OEM tethering on the iPhone 2G for FREE.

If you took the time to read it, you wouldn't have posted such a ridiculous post.

Unless you have another agenda (like being a MyWi employee).

Quote Originally Posted by Lecram25 View Post
    Why pay for something that isn't OEM?

The thread I linked to above provides OEM tethering on the iPhone 2G for FREE.

If you took the time to read it, you wouldn't have posted such a ridiculous post.

Unless you have another agenda (like being a MyWi employee).
    Took the time to read it? All 76 pages? Yeah right! Ridiculous post? WTF? Your post is the dumbest *** one I have ever seen on modmyi. MyWi works without dicking around and reading a 76 page long thread which may or more likely may not get you a working tether.

I guess if your time is worth nothing, then by all means save that $9.99. And if you're so poor you can't afford ten bucks then maybe an iPhone isn't for you.

And no, I don't work for MyWi.

Can you point to exactly where the instructions are for getting tether to work on 2G. I have been jailbreaking and unlocking since 1.1.4. I have done over 200 iPhones. Hey, nobody has to trust me, go ahead try out MyWi for 10 days for free, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Or, spend hours reading a thread that's as stale as last year's bread.
    Last edited by geminiboi; 2010-01-26 at 08:56 PM.

Took the time to read it? All 76 pages? Yeah right! Ridiculous post? WTF? Your post is the dumbest *** one I have ever seen on modmyi. MyWi works without dicking around and reading a 76 page long thread which may or more likely may not get you a working tether.

I guess if your time is worth nothing, then by all means save that $9.99. And if you're so poor you can't afford ten bucks then maybe an iPhone isn't for you.

And no, I don't work for MyWi.

Can you point to exactly where the instructions are for getting tether to work on 2G. I have been jailbreaking and unlocking since 1.1.4. I have done over 200 iPhones. Hey, nobody has to trust me, go ahead try out MyWi for 10 days for free, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Or, spend hours reading a thread that's as stale as last year's bread.
    *sigh*

Once again, if you only took the time to read (yes, the instructions are on the front page):

• iPhone 2G users: To enable tethering, MMS, and all of the iPhone 3G's Bluetooth profiles (A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, PAN, and PBAP, as well as Gaming and WiAP), you must install iPhone 2G: tethering, MMS and full Bluetooth [FW 3.1.2] from Cydia/Icy/Rock.

Another benefit is improved battery life versus ActivateMMS2G.

WARNING: A virgin iPhone 2G running 3.1.2 that is jailbroken is required. You also have to have a clean CommCenter (i.e. if you already have an MMS patch installed, get rid of it) and a clean BTServer (i.e. if you already have A2DP Enabler, get rid of it).

A clean CommCenter has an MD5 of 1db09f87f239049d155ac07c964a4e0a. You can check by typing (copy/paste) this command in terminal:

• md5sum /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/CommCenter

Credits go to Daniel Borca: Hackint0sh

Also from Daniel:
      And a small caveat: if you have other tweaks in M68AP.plist (like gas-gauge-battery), they'll be lost.
    Maybe it's time to grow up and learn to control your spastic outbursts?

Again, why would anyone want to pay for something that can be easily (see freely) exposed via a simple patch?

People b*tch and moan about $0.99 apps. You think anyone's going to fork out $9.99 for tethering, and possibly risk incurring carrier tethering charges to boot?

It's OEM, and that's what people like/want.