Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disable mail.app and safari in background?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Disable mail.app and safari in background?
    Hello, I would like to disable Mail and Safari to run in the background. I dont really need a mail app to be running all the time, but even though I disabled Push mail delivery and check for mail manually, Mail still opens in the background from time to time. I know I can force quit via buttons or SBSettings, but I would like to prevent this behaviour altogether.

Is there a way to kill the background capability of core iPhone apps?

iPhone? More like MyPhone gcastro723's Avatar
    Thanks

SB Settings, add the "processes" toggle and whenever your iPhone reacts slowly, kill the mail & safari process

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks, but if you read my post correctly, you will see that I know this way already. I am looking for a hack to prevent running in the backhround altogether.

i'm looking for this too.
    especialy for the mail

why it have to run in background? i used one time a day only....

there is a safariquitter deb that works perfect

Mailquitter I am bugging some developers (:-))

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tosbsas For This Useful Post:

iNT3Rv3NTiONZz (2010-08-27)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

When you do a reboot, only the phone application is running, I think. Mail and internet will not launch unless you do it yourself.

Unless your memory is running low, I don't normally bother quitting these applications. I always use SBSetting to display the available memory on my taskbar.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well, I do bother. And Mail runs itself from time to time wvwn after reboot, even if I have push and fetch disabled (switched to manual).

Me to I want to kill the mail apps in background, it uses a lot of my ram

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stooovie View Post
    Well, I do bother. And Mail runs itself from time to time wvwn after reboot, even if I have push and fetch disabled (switched to manual).
    I have this happen as well. I've been searching for a fix and will post if i find anything.

Edit- It seems to happen when I open up contacts and select a contact to call or edit. When I do this Mail will open in the background
    Last edited by bhz1; 2009-08-06 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Found cause but not a fix

i guess with supreme preferences theres a switch to prevent mail from load on memory.

But i didn't want to install it because it eats e lot of memory too

Thanks

Supreme Preferences is only for firmware < 2.2.1 or so it seems when I tried to install it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

we have safariquitter how bout a mailquitter

Quote Originally Posted by pablogiorgini View Post
    i guess with supreme preferences theres a switch to prevent mail from load on memory.

But i didn't want to install it because it eats e lot of memory too
    there is no switch in supreme pref.

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    Supreme Preferences is only for firmware < 2.2.1 or so it seems when I tried to install it.
    Supreme Preferences works for me on 3.0.

There is a prevent auto launch for mail in applications/mail, calendar settings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyGuy5 View Post
    Supreme Preferences works for me on 3.0.

There is a prevent auto launch for mail in applications/mail, calendar settings.

Does it work on a 3G but not a 3GS? Cydia would not let me install it.When I click to in stallit I get a screen telling me that the requesred modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed. Then below that under "Depends" it says iPhone Formware < 3.0

Is there a different version of this app from a different repo that I am unaware of?

it has been taken down because it messed up toooo many phones.Developer changes actual files and permission and has not yet found a way to get you back on track apart from deleting the preferences folder and praying that it gets restored.

The mail switch is kind of flaky too - its true mail will not run alone, but once you ran it you need to disable it again via processes. One more thing -when enabled the no background option it seems to overwrite the manual settings in some accounts - meaning if you forget to kill it with processes all over sudden your mailapp checks the mails, although all is set to manual - you go figure. Gaizin the developer or backgrounder wrote this

Mail: SBDisableMailAutoLaunch
    Phone: SBDisablePhoneRelaunch

(these and other options can be found by running "strings" on the SpringBoard binary).

However, I have not tested either one, and I don't guarantee that either one
    (especially the mail-related one) will prevent a relaunch on normal exit.

Note that SpringBoard overwrites its preferences file upon shutdown/restart, meaning
    that if you want to edit the file by hand, you have to do it while SpringBoard is not
    running... meaning that you have to stop the launchd process, and edit the file
    (quickly, as I believe the device will eventually reboot due to a watchdog timer).

The other possibility is to write an application/extension that will set the
    preference and somehow force SpringBoard to refesh its preferences (so that the
    setting does not get overwritten). I have not attempted this, though, so you're on
    your own here.

Thanks

WHat I dont get is why does mail open in the background whenever contacts are opened as well as from whatever app uses contacts. Mail opens if I do a search from within Maps and open up the details of a place that I searched for.

thank god.. i figured it now why my mail.app is always in background, the culprit is the rockapp install at my iphone. after i removed the rockapp. my mail is not automatically open anymore. try to remove rockapps if you have.

just wanna share. Reading here and there manage to prevent mail app from loading in memory!

no load on contacts open ! no more mail in memory also you can call it from the icon.

just rename mail from applications like mobilemailx and on the Info.plist rename the key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.apple.mobilemailx</string>

AND That's it! this is something that has to share!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to pablogiorgini For This Useful Post:

DarkWombat (2010-01-04)

so basically your changing the name of the file so it assumes that the mail app doesn't exist?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast