Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disable mail.app and safari in background?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWombat View Post
    Using iPhone Browser: On the left pane there is a file tree.

Go to Applications -> Mobilemail.app

Rename Mobilemap.app to something like Mobilemailx.app (something different from the original name)

Click on Mobilemail.app (or whatever the new name of the folder is) and on the right pane there will be a listing of files in that folder.

Right click on Info.plist and click Save As, save it to your desktop or something. Open it in a text editor like Notepad.

Find the phrase <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> and after it there should be something that says <string>com.apple.mobilemail</string>

Replace mobilemail with mobilemailx or whatever the new name you chose for mobilemail.app is. Save the file and drag it over the original Info.plist file in iPhone Browser. The program will replace the original file while making a backup in its default backup folder, which you can see by going to File -> View Backup Files

Re-spring your phone and it should work. You will notice that Mail is now called Mobilemailx or whatever the new name you chose was. I went to Cydia and downloaded an app called Rename to change the displayed app name in Springboard back to Mail. If you can't find this app on Cydia you will need to add http://iphone.org.hk/apt/ to your sources and then it should show up.

-------

Mail no longer opens when I view contact info or look up addresses in Maps, which means contact and address info loads much quicker and more RAM is available. However it also no longer allows me to email people directly from my contacts list and it probably won't hook to email addresses for locations in Maps. Personally this doesn't bug me because I can just copy-paste the email address into Mail by myself, but it's worth keeping in mind.

This is really just a simple workaround until someone who is much more savvy than me figures out how to block the underlying hook that is opening mail in the first place. By renaming the app to something else the watchdog that opens Mobilemail.app (some people just refer to it as mail.app) will not be able to find the newly-named mail program and therefore will be unable to open Mail.

Hope that helps. And thanks to pablogiorgini for posting the hack

I used this process and confirm it works however now I have another issue. i used the same name as in your instructions and doesn't background however I am now looking to set up a mail account and I notice that the "Mail" option now doesn't appear in my settings list.

Is there somewhere else I need to change the new name of the settings app so the "Mail" options reappear in this list?

Thanks,
    gleavek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0009.png  

@fubaya and all

Thanks for the script, people were waiting for that over at the repeat memory free thread.

I am so p*** - so we do not use an app cause Bigboss says so? He despises winterboard and some other great stuff, he does not answer emails for his own apps and fixes his own apps after releasing broken stuff in the first place. He is a great guy, he has done a lot of great stuff, can't imagine my phone without sbsettings or categories, but he has become - imho - very cocky and behaving like the MASTER of iphone stuff and that way lost his charm.

The RMF deb is a great addition to all 3G's who struggle with their RAM. I was used to run with about 20% of memory ram, no I am stable at 35 to 40. Apps run faster, mail, ipod and safari are quitting when not in use and whats more the developer is responding to every question or request as best as he can.

So if anyone wants to try - discussion and stuff are on a forum thats banned here - starts with x and keeps going on with sell and isize, but here are the main features:

Repeating memory free-Version 2.6.6 Improved Settings GUI(mail,safari,ipod quitter )
    DEB FILE:

Download DEB file and uninstall the old script, install the new one and voila:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! ( version 2.6.6 beta )

--------------------------------------------------------------------

TIPS & USAGE :

- Before cpu trigger I used to use memory change parameter in order to check whether the system is not running any program. This was so because I wanted to execute free mem on an idle system. In order to check whether the system is idle, I look at the cpu usage of the system for 4 seconds and if I see the system uses the cpu below the value set in the settings, than free mem is executed. The max value is 40 and if you set at this value, free mem will be executed easily than if cpu trigger is set 25. But there is a trade off, the more you incerase cpu tigger value, the more possible your apps will crash.

- White icon shows that the script runs in normal mode, red icon means the script triggered free mem but because due to cpu usage or cydia it did not execute free memory in the previous run

- You can change min and max values of options changing /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/RepeatMemoryFreeSettings.bundle/RepeatMemoryFree.plist file. You can see the min and max values there (3GS owners can change the max treshold value )

- On the setting menu, when you press apply changes, there will be a black screen then there will be 2 icons showing about the status of daemon and script.

- After the first message box, second one follows it either showing "script active" or "script NOT active" according to the choice you have made in the settings menu. The daemon will run but when you disable script, free mem and quitting will not function and will not use cpu. This can be used when playing games and wathing movies.

- Launchdaemon interval will be applied on the first run of the script after you press "apply changes". The launchdaemon plist file will be changes according to the value you have set for this interval.

- Launchdaemon interval : This option is used to define the interval of which scrşpt is executed. The greater the value, the less battery drain but the script will repond to changes will drop. Typical value can be between 40-60 seconds.

- Trigger CPU usage : This option is used to trigger free mem app along with "Memory threshold" value. The main purpose of this value is to free when the system becomes stable or idle. If you set it to high, then while app is opening it can be killed by free mem app. Typical value for 3G is 15-25 %. If you set it too low, the the script will not execute free mem app until you do not play with iphone.

- Triggering memory drop : This value is used to signal the script that there is a free memory drop in the system. Typical value is 5 MB.

DEPENDS:

0- springboardaccess
    1- cycript
    2- Bourne-Again SHell (bash)
    3- erica utilities
    4- preference loader
    5- webviewcontroller
    6- adv-cmds
    7- coreutils-bin
    8- coreutils

you can enable statusicons that will show you when the script is doing something.

Try it, you will love it although Bigboss does not like it

fubaya Is garbage.

I'm using the Repeat Memory Free. I'm a tester. It's great. It's like Turbo charging your iPhone. The more you use the iPhone, the higher your RAM will get.
    Last edited by lll2for3lll; 2010-01-19 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fubaya View Post
    If anyone is interested, here is what I've been using forever. It's a super simple script that runs from a Springboard icon. Just tap it and it will kill itunesstored, MobileMusicPlayer (ipod), Mail and Safari then toggle the SBSettings free memory button. If you don't want it to close one of those, like the iPod for example, open killer.sh and delete that line.

Unzip this attachment to your root directory. It will create a directory called "kill.app". Make the permissions 755 (or read + execute) for everything in the directory and respring. You should have a new icon on Springboard. Open some Apple apps then tap the icon to kill them.

You may need to change the icon because I use the Matte Nano theme with small icons so it will probably look funny without the Matte Nano overlays.

That quitter/RAM script is really unnecessary. I told the guy writing it that but he kept on and the code has grown and gotten uglier. They tried to get it on a repo but BigBoss rejected it, saying it was a bad idea.
    I need some help with the install. I downloaded the file and unzipped to my documents, I transferred the file through winscp into my root directory but nothing showed up. I searched for kill.app and found it in my Boot directory. What did I do wrong and where do I change the permissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder1473 View Post
    I need some help with the install. I downloaded the file and unzipped to my documents, I transferred the file through winscp into my root directory but nothing showed up. I searched for kill.app and found it in my Boot directory. What did I do wrong and where do I change the permissions.
    I got your PM. I have like 9 similar scripts on my phone and I've had this problem with one or two. When it happened to me, it showed up under the "hide icons" section of SBSettings but it still didn't show up on Springboard. I don't know what the problem was. What worked for me was to create a new directory like "/Applications/kill2.app", move all the files from the first directory to the second and respring. Are you on 3.1?

hi! i want to try this app. so i did as instructed, copied kill.app to /root directory but after respring nothing happend. so i copied kill.app to /applications directory then respring. an icon appeared on my SB, but when i click it nothing happens. a splash screen/image will appear then will disappear after 1 second but nothing happens. ipod, mail or safari doesn't quit. anything wrong?

EDIT:

oops! it's okay now. i didn't change the permissions of each file to 755. but now it's okay. i think this is also good, you have the power to manually free memory and quit mail, safari and ipod plus itunesstored with a click of a button. this will go to my dock hehe. thanks!
    Last edited by flipward; 2010-01-20 at 06:17 PM. Reason: additional entry

Oops, I dont know why I said root directory. It has to be in /Applications.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

CONVBMW (2010-05-13), flipward (2010-01-21)

hehe thank you again for providing this script.. this is really great! it's like a refresh button! just 1 click and it's good! hehe

Fubaya after installing your script and changing permissions and respringing, the icon appears and works GREAT... but now Rock crashes upon opening... do you know what about your script could be causing Rock to crash or is it something on my part?

Quote Originally Posted by The X Rated 1 View Post
    Fubaya after installing your script and changing permissions and respringing, the icon appears and works GREAT... but now Rock crashes upon opening... do you know what about your script could be causing Rock to crash or is it something on my part?
    I don't think it could be the script because it doesn't change anything on the phone and doesn't do anything unless you tap the icon. And even then it just closes things. What is Rock, The Cydia alternative?

You might try removing the itunes line from the script. I'm not sure of everything itunesstored does, but some apps start it when they open. Well, I have one app that does anyway. It's a paid app that requires authentication every time it opens and in airplane mode, it goes back to a trial version because it can't authenticate. I guess it authenticates through Apple. I wouldn't think Rock would do anything like that, but that's the one thing in the script worth trying.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

CONVBMW (2010-05-13)

Default Automate iKill?
    Hello Fubaya,

Thanks for iKill.
    Is there a way to automate this?

T.I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaGirl View Post
    Hello Fubaya, Thanks for iKill. Is there a way to automate this? T.I.A.
    It could be, kinda like the quitter part of that repeat free memory script, but it would have its downsides. This script is super simple and did what I wanted on my phone, so I dont plan on changing it. Heh, I couldnt even be bothered to put a better icon in it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

CONVBMW (2010-05-13), PamelaGirl (2010-01-25)

It could be, kinda like the quitter part of that repeat free memory script, but it would have its downsides. This script is super simple and did what I wanted on my phone, so I dont plan on changing it. Heh, I couldnt even be bothered to put a better icon in it.

Could you please explain the downside to having this automated?

T.I.A.

T.I.A.
    I'm seeing where she's going with this. I don't see what this does that the "process" toggle on SBSettings doesn't already do.

I would love to see something that quick safari/mail as soon as I hit home to go back to the springboard.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

T.I.A.
    The one I posted is stupidly simple and you'd need more complex script that runs in the background or executes every few seconds to watch for apps that need to be closed. It's the kind of thing a mobilesubstrate hook would probably be a better choice to use, like SafariQuitter, for example.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

CONVBMW (2010-05-13)

Thanks again for the response.

So if I wanted to make this stupidly simple code a little smarter what would you suggest.
    Your code of less is more is sweet. Still I am very interested in an automated version. Sure this would require more lines of code and maybe resources but do you think it would slow down the process overall?

T.I.A.

Thanks again for the response. So if I wanted to make this stupidly simple code a little smarter what would you suggest. Your code of less is more is sweet. Still I am very interested in an automated version. Sure this would require more lines of code and maybe resources but do you think it would slow down the process overall? T.I.A.
    Im not sure, the unix utility I would normally use doesnt seem to be available for the iphone. The ps command would be an obvious place to start checking if an app is idle, but Im not sure how the ipod would work. That free memory script does it but I dont know what he settled on using.

It wouldnt hog resources, but would still need to run constantly.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

CONVBMW (2010-05-13)

Think this is what I was looking for:

http://modmyi.com/forums/native-ipho...m-app-out.html

Going to try that out.
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

Hey fubaya...I am using your iKill app but MobileMail app closes then immediately reopens. I also added MobilePhone to the list in the killer.sh file and the Phone app is doing the same thing. Ipod and safari works fine and quits as should. Any ideas?

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

If anyone is interested, here is what I've been using forever. It's a super simple script that runs from a Springboard icon. Just tap it and it will kill itunesstored, MobileMusicPlayer (ipod), Mail and Safari then toggle the SBSettings free memory button. If you don't want it to close one of those, like the iPod for example, open killer.sh and delete that line.

Unzip this attachment to your root directory (EDIT: My mistake, unzip it to the /Applications directory, not root!). It will create a directory called "kill.app". Make the permissions 755 (or read + execute) for everything in the directory and respring. You should have a new icon on Springboard. Open some Apple apps then tap the icon to kill them.

You may need to change the icon because I use the Matte Nano theme with small icons so it will probably look funny without the Matte Nano overlays.

That quitter/RAM script is really unnecessary. I told the guy writing it that but he kept on and the code has grown and gotten uglier. They tried to get it on a repo but BigBoss rejected it, saying it was a bad idea.
    If you are not using this.....you are missing out. I was going MENTAL with my mail and my iPod open.

Just when I think my phone cant get any better.......then this

HUGE thanks !!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast