Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disable mail.app and safari in background?

If you go into settings and change your Mail fetch preferences to "Manually," you can quit Mail via Processes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to n00neimp0rtant For This Useful Post:

modmyiguy (2009-12-13)

i already did that from the beginning, everything is set to manual.

but sum reason its still pushing or trying to anyways

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would love to see a mailquitter, safariquitter is one of the best things I've installed lately.

I'm A-OK with Safari staying active, considering I have 256 MB of RAM in MY iPhone. =]

Thanks

Even if your're ok with the available memory- having these apps running in the background eats battery life like crazy.

exactly Arsenal6, if you rename the folder and then the info.plist with the same name, it's like the mail doesn't exist, no error and everything still working.
    also, you can call it from the icon and still works.

Having to kill the mail from process it's a pain....
    also, everytime you open a contact it's faster because it's not opening mail in background like it used to

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pablogiorgini For This Useful Post:

DarkWombat (2010-01-04)

Quote Originally Posted by pablogiorgini View Post
    exactly Arsenal6, if you rename the folder and then the info.plist with the same name, it's like the mail doesn't exist, no error and everything still working.
    also, you can call it from the icon and still works.

Having to kill the mail from process it's a pain....
    also, everytime you open a contact it's faster because it's not opening mail in background like it used to
    Sounds good.
    But what happens after you started mail manually and then quit the app.
    Is it automatically closed completely then ?
    Or does it still remain in the background ?

Greeetz
    BoRoN

iPhone? More like MyPhone gcastro723's Avatar
    Thanks

^ it stays in the background
    If you can see this you are one of the many people who can see this.

I thought so.
    So totally unuseful !

Thanxx
    BoRoN

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This has been bugging the crap out of me lately too. Unfortunately I keep seeing the same answers which don't work.

Disabling push doesn't work because mail.app keeps getting launched when you view a person's contacts (whether or not they have an email address) and whenever you view a location's contact info (again, whether or not they have an email address). Once it launches in the background it checks for mail.

I've had several instances now where I'd look up a contact and call them and mail.app would launch in the background and start checking my emails. The phone would hiccup for a second while it downloaded emails and I'd hear the telltale new messages chime, and then my call would drop because the phone hiccupped.

Quote Originally Posted by pablogiorgini View Post
    just rename mail from applications like mobilemailx and on the Info.plist rename the key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.apple.mobilemailx</string>
    Can you elaborate on how to do this? I haven't used Terminal yet.
    EDIT: I think I figured it out using iPhoneBrowser, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    I'm A-OK with Safari staying active, considering I have 256 MB of RAM in MY iPhone. =]
    I'm glad you have a 3GS but this really doesn't help with the discussion; the thread starter clearly wants an option that prevents mail.app from starting up by itself and closes it on exit. For the rest of us, when mail is in the background we may have less than 25MB of RAM available, which isn't much.
    Last edited by DarkWombat; 2010-01-04 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWombat View Post
    Can you elaborate on how to do this? I haven't used Terminal yet.
    EDIT: I think I figured it out using iPhoneBrowser, thanks!
    Could you elaborate here for those of us that are still confused? LoL.

Good post btw. I hate the mail app opening and bogging down my phone when all I'm doing is texting (saving a contact also brings up mail app... WTF).
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Using iPhone Browser: On the left pane there is a file tree.

Go to Applications -> Mobilemail.app

Rename Mobilemap.app to something like Mobilemailx.app (something different from the original name)

Click on Mobilemail.app (or whatever the new name of the folder is) and on the right pane there will be a listing of files in that folder.

Right click on Info.plist and click Save As, save it to your desktop or something. Open it in a text editor like Notepad.

Find the phrase <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> and after it there should be something that says <string>com.apple.mobilemail</string>

Replace mobilemail with mobilemailx or whatever the new name you chose for mobilemail.app is. Save the file and drag it over the original Info.plist file in iPhone Browser. The program will replace the original file while making a backup in its default backup folder, which you can see by going to File -> View Backup Files

Re-spring your phone and it should work. You will notice that Mail is now called Mobilemailx or whatever the new name you chose was. I went to Cydia and downloaded an app called Rename to change the displayed app name in Springboard back to Mail. If you can't find this app on Cydia you will need to add http://iphone.org.hk/apt/ to your sources and then it should show up.

-------

Mail no longer opens when I view contact info or look up addresses in Maps, which means contact and address info loads much quicker and more RAM is available. However it also no longer allows me to email people directly from my contacts list and it probably won't hook to email addresses for locations in Maps. Personally this doesn't bug me because I can just copy-paste the email address into Mail by myself, but it's worth keeping in mind.

This is really just a simple workaround until someone who is much more savvy than me figures out how to block the underlying hook that is opening mail in the first place. By renaming the app to something else the watchdog that opens Mobilemail.app (some people just refer to it as mail.app) will not be able to find the newly-named mail program and therefore will be unable to open Mail.

Hope that helps. And thanks to pablogiorgini for posting the hack
    Last edited by DarkWombat; 2010-01-04 at 11:32 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkWombat For This Useful Post:

a.b.o.z. (2010-01-09), iPhoneMadness (2010-01-05)

Someone over at macthemes is working on an app Mailquitter, safariquitter, Ipodquitter and it gets RAM back automatically.

here's the original link: MacThemes Forum / Mailquitter, safariquitter, Ipodquitter and get RAM back automatically

I haven't tested it myself but it may be just what the doctor ordered.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The only thing that would be greater would be an app that turned the dock port into a real working toaster. Perhaps it will do that too!

iPhone? More like MyPhone gcastro723's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkwombat View Post
    the only thing that would be greater would be an app that turned the dock port into a real working toaster. Perhaps it will do that too!
    gtfo. lol
    If you can see this you are one of the many people who can see this.

If anyone is interested, here is what I've been using forever. It's a super simple script that runs from a Springboard icon. Just tap it and it will kill itunesstored, MobileMusicPlayer (ipod), Mail and Safari then toggle the SBSettings free memory button. If you don't want it to close one of those, like the iPod for example, open killer.sh and delete that line.

Unzip this attachment to your root directory (EDIT: My mistake, unzip it to the /Applications directory, not root!). It will create a directory called "kill.app". Make the permissions 755 (or read + execute) for everything in the directory and respring. You should have a new icon on Springboard. Open some Apple apps then tap the icon to kill them.

You may need to change the icon because I use the Matte Nano theme with small icons so it will probably look funny without the Matte Nano overlays.

That quitter/RAM script is really unnecessary. I told the guy writing it that but he kept on and the code has grown and gotten uglier. They tried to get it on a repo but BigBoss rejected it, saying it was a bad idea.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fubaya; 2010-01-21 at 04:00 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

CONVBMW (2010-05-13), fr3q (2010-01-26)

hei DarkWombat.
    thank you for that elaboration. worked like a charm.
    how can i get PushGmail.app to be default mail app?
    When I try to send e-mail to someone in contacts nothin happens (before mail would open "compose new" but now nothig)
    It would be nice I can do that in PushGmail....if it is possible,
    any ideas?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by a.b.o.z. View Post
    hei DarkWombat. thank you for that elaboration. worked like a charm. how can i get PushGmail.app to be default mail app? When I try to send e-mail to someone in contacts nothin happens (before mail would open &quot;compose new&quot; but now nothig) It would be nice I can do that in PushGmail....if it is possible, any ideas? cheers
    It should work if you add a mailto url scheme to it's plist. I can post an example later if needed.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

CONVBMW (2010-05-13)

it would be great if u can. im kinda noobish when it comes to iphone hacking

Ok, now that I re-read your post, I'm not certain this will work perfectly because the mailto redirection will attempt to pass the email address to the app and PushGmail may not be able to get the address. You may end up with a blank address line when trying to email someone from contacts.

Here it is anyway. Open the Info.plist in the PushGmail directory and look for the two bottom lines which are "dict" and "plist" tags. Above those two lines, add these:
    Code:
          <key>CFBundleURLTypes</key>
          <array>
          <dict>
          <key>CFBundleURLName</key>
          <string>mailto URL</string>
          <key>CFBundleURLSchemes</key>
          <array>
          <string>mailto</string>
          </array>
          </dict>
          </array>
    If you already see a "CFBundleURLTypes" line, then just change the lines under CFBundleURLName and CFBundleURLSchemes to "mailto URL" and "mailto".

Any time you change these plists, you probably need to restart SpringBoard in order for the new settings to take effect.

I tested this with an app of my own and it opened it so it should open PushGmail. It will open any time you click a mailto link on the web and should also open any time another app opens your email in order to send a message. But I'm not entirely certain the contacts app uses that same method and, like I said earlier, the address line may be blank once PushGmail opens. If this doesn't work, change the plist back.

You could also try this: Go into /Applications/MobileMail.app and open the file Info.plist and find these two lines:

Code:
    <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
    <string>MobileMail</string>
    Change the second line to the path to the PushGmail executable. It will look something like this (this is just an example, I don't have that app installed):
    Code:
    <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
    <string>/private/var/mobile/Applications/64FB25EA-CB81-430F-AF00-C5E2E40B642F/PushGmail.app/PushGmail</string>
    That is an attempt to get the system to execute PushGmail instead of the mail app. If that doesn't work, change it back too.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

CONVBMW (2010-05-13)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast