Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Text Message Sounds

Default Text Message Sounds
    Ok...I searched the forum, and could not find what I was looking for, so here it goes.

I want to create my OWN text message sounds. I understand how to SSH into the phone, how to find the directory, how to covert the file formats, etc.... BUT...the thing I'm confused about is, someone said that you CANNOT have more than the 6 current sound options that are there now. So for example, lets say sound number 6 is called Electronic in the phone. You would just make your new sound, rename it exactly how sound 6 was, and then when you open the sound settings, it will be your sound, but be named Electronic. Do I HAVE to do it that way??? Or can I create a file called EricsNewText and just name it this way:

sms-received7.caf = EricsNewText

Any input??

Thanks

No, but the way that I solved this was to create a couple sound themes that I cycle through. Sounds1.theme, Sounds2... you get the idea. Then place all the sms-received?.caf files into the separate theme folders. This is really the only way to have more than 6 sms tones.

ps. the theme folder has to have all the files in a "UISounds" sub folder.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

n0useforaname (2009-07-30)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Burner911's Avatar
    Thanks

Did the same thing recently. This way is by far the easiest:
    Efiko Software - ToneFXs

Download "Tonefxs" through Cydia.

Don't forget to hit "THANKS" if the information was helpful!

Thanks

If you want to pay.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone Burner911's Avatar
    Thanks

Who said I paid?

Thanks

Ohhh.. You're one of those POS pirates.... not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by n0useforaname View Post
    Ok...I searched the forum, and could not find what I was looking for, so here it goes.

I want to create my OWN text message sounds. I understand how to SSH into the phone, how to find the directory, how to covert the file formats, etc.... BUT...the thing I'm confused about is, someone said that you CANNOT have more than the 6 current sound options that are there now. So for example, lets say sound number 6 is called Electronic in the phone. You would just make your new sound, rename it exactly how sound 6 was, and then when you open the sound settings, it will be your sound, but be named Electronic. Do I HAVE to do it that way??? Or can I create a file called EricsNewText and just name it this way:

sms-received7.caf = EricsNewText

Any input??
    Is there a way to put custom text ringtones without jailbraking I just got a 3gs and that is the only thing that I do not like about this phone everything else is great!

I'm going to shoot for a big ole' NO on that one. In order to do anything cool with your phone, you're gona have to jail break it. Because to get a Cydia program, or SSH into your phone, it def. needs to be jailbroken.

Does anyone know if there is ever going to be any plans for Apple to make this available in the future it is really anoying me most of the time I text.Say I jailbrake the phone is there a way to put it back incase I have a warranty issue with it?