Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help renaming SMS ringtones

Default Help renaming SMS ringtones
    Hey well I was reading a post about editing, Sound.strings to rename the SMS tones. If you could help me this would be very helpful the site provided in the posts no longer work. I'm on an iphone 3gs

I've attached a sound pack I downloaded from Cydia a while back. You can see how the sounds are named and where they go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bsharp74653 View Post
    Hey well I was reading a post about editing, Sound.strings to rename the SMS tones. If you could help me this would be very helpful the site provided in the posts no longer work. I'm on an iphone 3gs
    bsharp74653, I'm at work right now and can't get into my iPhone's file structure to test this theory of yours that you read. As soon as I go home, I'll pull up sound.strings and see if that does indeed work, and if it does, I'll give you a step-by-step to do that. However, if it does not work, you'll have to follow SkyGuy5's method. It's pretty straight forward, but if that's confusing to you as well, I can walk you through that too.

Message me and I'll send you my AIM or Yahoo name if you'd prefer to be walked through it instead.

bsharp74653, you were right... Thanks!

Okay, so here is what you need to do. First of, SSH into your iPhone with whatever method you like (I like using WinSCP) and then navigate to the following directory:

/private/var/stash/Applications.pwn/Preferences.app/English.lproj/*

Inside here, you'll find a Sounds.strings and just be sure to make a backup of this file before you modify it, as you should with anything on the phone. pListEditor 1.0 is put out by iPod Robot and it'll let you modify your strings file normally. Keys ALTERNET_1 through ALTERNET_5 are the ones that you're looking to modify.

Hope that helps!!!