Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible Solution for Compass on 2G/3G

Default Possible Solution for Compass on 2G/3G
    What if, someone re-created the app. The way it would work is as follows. The app would work on angles, presumably using the accelerometer. I'm not entirely versed on how the acceleremeter works.

So here is how I envision the app:
    1) once you download the compass app, the user would hold the iPhone pointing north (the caveat is that the first time the app is used, the user would have to know where north is).
    2) Once the user inputs north, the iPhone could "store" the orientation forever.
    3) Using the accelerometer, the iPhone calculates the degrees that the phone is being turned.
    4) The iPhone translates the amount of degrees turned into an orientation (ex. south 45 degrees, etc...)

What do you guys think? Would the accelerometer allow this to happen?

Maybe possible on a 3G, but would never work on a 2G without a GPS chip....wouldnt be nearly accurate enough.

So it sounds plausible on the 3g?
    Sweeet.

Anyone wanna investigate this?

I would think so....however I still am not sure if it would be totally accurate....but I dont see why it couldnt be coded up.

if this was made, someone could even make it work for google maps, just like the real app

i think this could be great

Thanks

What I am personally confused with is the whole need for a compass. Its a gimmick. If you have a GPS in your hands and you need to find a place while driving use the damn GPS. And for all the users "But K-Wall what about when I go camping?" Well for one I would not trust a iPhone 3Gs compass let alone a specially coded one for 3G. Second if you in the middle of no where there is no promise of getting any GPS signal. Third is an iPhone has a battery it can die which means you have no compass. So in short if you want a compass buy a damn compass.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ lmao agreed

8. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

kwall (2009-06-29)

Thanks

People are not rational anymore are they?

Quote Originally Posted by kwall View Post
    People are not rational anymore are they?
    I agree with what you said, but I would normally use it when walking somewhere.
    I wouldnt be dumb enough to rely on it for camping or anything. But if I'm walking around at night and theres no one to ask, and I gotta know which way north or south is to get to the nearest subway station, then a compass would come in handy.

It's also kinda cool how the map positions itself around your orientation as opposed to always facing north. But this is just a bonus.

P.S. it'll also make me feel better about not getting the 3GS

Thanks

I completely understand your points on walking and it being cool but instead of waiting for someone to develop this app or buy a 3G[S] it would be far easier to spend a mere 5 - 20 dollars on a normal standard issue compass. I know and understand it is preference but this is just my two cents.

I completely understand your points on walking and it being cool but instead of waiting for someone to develop this app or buy a 3G[S] it would be far easier to spend a mere 5 - 20 dollars on a normal standard issue compass. I know and understand it is preference but this is just my two cents.
    Completely agree

But like many features, this one would be on the side of "cool, but rarely useful", which means that I dont really care if it doesnt get made.

I dont care enough to spend money on a real compass. Even if someone made this app and it cost money, I probably wouldnt bother.

Thanks

Haha i hear you and that is why i did not disagree with you. Earlier today i posted a tutorial that shows you how to have a custom firmware text displayed in the settings. Its one of those satisfying and pointless things that puts a smile on iModder's faces.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ Yep. The compass on the 3GS isn't really that accurate anyways

Thanks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuYkH60w4Ns]YouTube - The New iPhone 3GS (Parody)[/ame]
    Need Assistance? Read Here Tutorial On How to Know Everything

All I like is the update in maps that turns the map to your direction...otherwise, the compass app was opened the day I bought the phone to say "Hmmm, this was cool for 2 seconds" and thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    All I like is the update in maps that turns the map to your direction...otherwise, the compass app was opened the day I bought the phone to say "Hmmm, this was cool for 2 seconds" and thats it.
    That's why i want it

Thanks

^However with your plan you will need to know which way North is to begin with so I do not see the benefits of having it.
    Need Assistance? Read Here Tutorial On How to Know Everything

^However with your plan you will need to know which way North is to begin with so I do not see the benefits of having it.
    A) North would be set up the first time you run the app
    B) The map thing would be a nice feature to have, just cuz it orients the map in the direction that you are traveling

is there any possible way to find the nearest tower to the phone. find its location and figure up the compass off of its location. like if the tower is east of you then it could find north and bouce around that info lol? just a shot in the dark here.

or even use the map to find a city nearby and figure up a compass based on that.
    Last edited by myke580; 2009-06-30 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost