Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it possible to install new video drcoders on the iPhone?

Lightbulb Is it possible to install new video drcoders on the iPhone?
    I noticed that the video decoder for the iPhone were located at /System>Library>VideoDecoders. Right now it only has the H.264 and MP4 decoders.

Would it be possible to install new video decoders so that you could watch vitually any video of any format on your phone?

Quote Originally Posted by cheezbergher View Post
    I noticed that the video decoder for the iPhone were located at /System>Library>VideoDecoders. Right now it only has the H.264 and MP4 decoders.

Would it be possible to install new video decoders so that you could watch vitually any video of any format on your phone?
    Good question. I'm not sure if anyone has been working on this because it not that easy of a process. There's more to it. It would be great if someone could figure out how to get flash to work on the iPhone. It is the biggest part missing from the iPhone. Once someone finds out how to get flash to work, it will open up a whole new world in the iPhone community.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Kai Sukura told Erica Sadun that some ppl (I assume the dev team) are working on Xvid and also stuff like Flash etc, and that he said he thinks soon they will have that stuff ready.

That is pretty much the entirety of what he said so anything else is speculation.

This was on last week's (not yesterday) talkcast on TUAW.

I don't know why there hasn't been more talk about this. Couldn't it be possible for the devs to make a video decoder like H.264 and MP4 decoders in /System>Library>VideoDecoders for Xvid or Flash or streaming TV from Orb or anything else? Maybe make a program that can use thee if the iPod or Safari can't use them. Just an idea and I wanted to bump this.