Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: In a bit of a pickle...

Default In a bit of a pickle...
    I have a 16 GB V1 iPhone. I decided yesterday to update to 3.0 and Jailbreak. I've done this many times before and always done "restore as new." But this time, I restored from a back up... The problem is that I had my preferences app Poof'd and resting inside Bossprefs and I had my Cydia app Poof'd and resting inside a Categories folder titled "Downloads."

Well, now I can't see either of these apps and I can't download poof to try and make them visible because I cannot access Cydia! I know the apps are on the phone though. When I used Diskaid I could clearly see them listed in the applications folder... So... any suggestions? I'm not extremely skilled with modding so you may have to break it down for me. I'd prefer to not have to restore from new because I want to keep my stuff the way it is. I like having my text histories and such. Also, I'm on windows. So HELP!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

This had happened with me as I had Categories installed and all my icons were in four specific folders and then I had no way of accessing them when I updated to 3.0...

My solution that seemed to work for me was restoring and setting it up as a new iPhone from a Different PC...then plugging it back in my PC and simply Syncing it so I got all my stuff back.

The reason it worked for me is because the iPhone actually stores the plist file of the springboard in a temp folder, so it always updates to that, but its got nothing to update from a different PC, I know as I tried 2 restores from my PC then finally from my labtop.

Hope this helps!

so you are saying that my text conversations and such will still be there?? I mean its not like I won't get over it if they aren't. I just would LOVE it if they stayed!

Thanks

well...my text conversations were still present when i restored my phone (2-3x) bcuz of editing files....and I got back everything I lost (contacts,bookmarks,messages,videos,music,ringtone s,notes,apps,etc.)

Just remember to FIRST restore from a diff PC..then when it is all set up connect to ur original PC and start updating/syncing

tell me how it goes

i did the restore from another computer. no luck. even after I had done the jailbreak, when i connected with itunes it said Restore from backup or set up as new. thus no syncing to old text conversations. I have to go through and re assign ringtones and all that too no doubt.

Thanks

sry dude...it wrked for me so i though i couldve helped, unfortunately it didnt turn out 2 good..

at least you made an effort. Its not like I bricked my phone or anything. Nothing to apologize for.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Try going into settings/general/restrictions enable then disable. This has worked for others to un-hide apps form a previous theme.

I already restored, but it wouldn't matter anyway, I couldn't access the settings app.