Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how to rename gmail to googlemail?

Exclamation how to rename gmail to googlemail?
    Hallo all,

there is a problem with the name "gmail" on all iphones distributed in germany, even when they are fully unlocked. in germany you are not allowed to sell them because of the german "g-mail brand" owner.

apple already changed all german iphone models and when you look in "system/library/preferencebundles/accountsettings/mobilemailsettings.bundle" there are already two different png's and in the "preference.string" you find "<key>GMAIL</key>" and "<key>GOOGLE_MAIL</key>".

The thing is that if you put a regular ipsw on a german phone (model MB497DN/A), for example, it automatically displays "googlemail" instead of "gmail" in all gmail-related functions. If you use an other model, i.e. MB704LL/A, it will display "gmail", not "googlemail".

So there must be a trigger that detects the iphone model and changes the "gmail" to "googlemail" on german iphones!? i had a deep look into the ipsw but only found the "preference strings" etc but not the "general switch".

do you know how to trick the ipsw so it thinks its a german model and uses googlemail instead of gmail? i am looking for a way to change the ipsw, so I need help on changing and opening an ipsw file, too?

thanks in advance for your help!

because it is not allowed to sell phones with gmail, in germany gmail belongs to a guy who has a email service called g-mail. so google uses googlemail in germany. if you cant change it you can not sell the phone in germany ... ;-(

have a look at

System\Library\Privateframeworks\Message.Framework \message
    Hex Address 0x0BEBB0

Could be the trigger depending on model ......DN ?!