Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS 3.0b3 on 2g iPhone - activate MMS and Tethering

Default OS 3.0b3 on 2g iPhone - activate MMS and Tethering
    While overall on my backup 2g iphone I have been impressed with the 3.0 software, the fact that Apple have coded out the MMS and Tethering options has really got my goat. It's not so much a problem for me, I am happy with Swirley and Pdanet on my 2.2 main iphone and I will be upgrading when the new iPhone comes out in June anyway. It does however seem to be an obvious step by Apple to push 2g users to a newer model by denying them features that will be stock on the newer models.

Anyway, I thought I would be poke about in the file system of 3.0 on my 2g and see if I could change anything in .plist that might activate it. After about 8 restores and rejailbreak over the last day all I have managed to do is repeatedly crash the iphone os in various ways. I have so far managed the following:-

Nothing at all with MMS
    Added the tethering switch by manually editing network.plist in preferences.app with some code I found in wirelessmodemsettings.plist which was in wirelessmodemsettings.bundle in PreferenceBundles of System/Library. That put the switch in, but when I switched it nothing happened for 5 seconds then it crashed to Springboard.
    I unpacked the beta 3.0 firmware v3 ,ipsw for 2g and 3g, and swapped the 3g bundle 018-4905-4.dmg into the 2g .ipsw, deleting the existing 018-4906-4.dmg and renaming 018-4905-4.dmg to replace it. The resulting .ipsw did a DFU restore fine but seemed to be no different from the original 2g package.
    I have also decrypted the 3g dmg from beta 2 firmware and tried replacing mms app, preferences.app and various other systems files with no luck so far.

As far as I can tell the difference between the two firmwares is not what is blocking the features, I think that coded into the iphone firmware is the ability to detect the iPhone Model (MB213B for me) and set it's capabilities from that - so to enable these features on the 2g you need to somehow bypass this or make the firmware think it is running on a different model.

So I have failed to achieve anything, but if anyone else is attempting this at least you now know what not to try! And if anyone actually knows what they are doing if you have any hints as to where I should be looking it would be a help - I have changed more .plist files then I can remember with the only result being I now know how to make stupid buttons in settings for things like Fart Mode OFF ON
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robcoffee View Post
    I have changed more .plist files then I can remember with the only result being I now know how to make stupid buttons in settings for things like Fart Mode OFF ON
    Thats awesome. Well good luck getting this to work bro. I know alot of people are wishing for this.

only thing i cant seem to show up is where it needs to say setpup internet tethering its a blank cell
    and with the mms they blocked it in beta 3 cuz i just pasted the picture in messages lol it worked

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8r789456 View Post
    only thing i cant seem to show up is where it needs to say setpup internet tethering its a blank cell
    and with the mms they blocked it in beta 3 cuz i just pasted the picture in messages lol it worked
    So you can cut and paste a picture from say the web into the sms app and then send it as a picture message - but still there is no little picture icon in sms to choose a picture from say camera roll?

I got the line saying Internet Tethering with on/off button in settings/general/network by pasting the strings from elsewhere - it seemed like it would call the correct string: - <string>setInternetTethering:specifier:</string>

But all it does when you set it is wait a few seconds and crash to springboard. It would help if I had any sort of idea what I was doing, which I don't and i've had other issues to sort out since the weekend so I have had no time to mess with it.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb

So you can cut and paste a picture from say the web into the sms app and then send it as a picture message - but still there is no little picture icon in sms to choose a picture from say camera roll?

I got the line saying Internet Tethering with on/off button in settings/general/network by pasting the strings from elsewhere - it seemed like it would call the correct string: - <string>setInternetTethering:specifier:</string>

But all it does when you set it is wait a few seconds and crash to springboard. It would help if I had any sort of idea what I was doing, which I don't and i've had other issues to sort out since the weekend so I have had no time to mess with it.
    If your still on beta 2 you can go into the web or your pictures and copy a pic and then just paste it into the sms app but in beta 3 your not allowed to paste pictures into sms app
    Last edited by Sk8r789456; 2009-04-21 at 11:16 PM.

Well that proves that the claim "2g iPhones hardware does not support MMS and Tehering" by Apple is BS and the real reason they are coding it out of the firmware is to encourage 2g users to upgrade to the lastest handset. I can understand the reason why, there is no money for them in people hanging onto 2g iphones when they are now about to launch the 3rd version of the handset, but they could at least be honest and say "2g iphone users, OS 3.0 won't have MMS, Bluetooth Audio or Tethering enabled because we don't want you to be cheap and stick with those old scuffed devices, get your wallets out and splash the cash if you want the latest cutting edge features (that cydia has been providing 2g and 3g iphone users for about a year now)"
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb

Well that proves that the claim "2g iPhones hardware does not support MMS and Tehering" by Apple is BS and the real reason they are coding it out of the firmware is to encourage 2g users to upgrade to the lastest handset. I can understand the reason why, there is no money for them in people hanging onto 2g iphones when they are now about to launch the 3rd version of the handset, but they could at least be honest and say "2g iphone users, OS 3.0 won't have MMS, Bluetooth Audio or Tethering enabled because we don't want you to be cheap and stick with those old scuffed devices, get your wallets out and splash the cash if you want the latest cutting edge features (that cydia has been providing 2g and 3g iphone users for about a year now)"
    just wait when it comes out offical we will get both

i cant wait for the 3.0 os to get all the options to see if anyone can hack the firmware to make mms and everythign work on the 2g phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm sure it could be hacked to work on 2g but will AT&T continue to block it on 2g accounts. That will be the real problem.

I happen to have a mint condition 2g iPhone and have no interest in upgrading to a 3g as there is no 3g service in my area but I do want stereo Bluetooth and mms. Let the hacking commense???

Default Swirly MMS Question
    While overall on my backup 2g iphone I have been impressed with the 3.0 software, the fact that Apple have coded out the MMS and Tethering options has really got my goat. It's not so much a problem for me, I am happy with Swirley and Pdanet on my 2.2 main iphone and I will be upgrading when the new iPhone comes out in June anyway.
    I am running an iPhone 2G with 2.2.1 and was able to get Swirly MMS working...but only one day at a time. That is, AT&T would turn off the "unlimited messaging" text message package every night and when I'd wake up in the morning it's be gone. How are you getting yours to work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Greg

just made me want to mess around with the 3G's plists and try to get the video recording and video mms working on it.. im gonna have to wait till i can ssh into the phone tho....and im not too educated on iphone programming..but i got a lot of time in my hands
    18WiTaThizz

How great that would be if someone manages to copy the mms and video recording capabilities of the 3gs and copy it to the 2g iphone! Was also wondering if anyone could copy the camera features of the 3gs and port it to the 2g camera? Just curious!

You can get the MMS settings up on the 2G by adding a
    Boolean Key = mms / Boolean Value = true
    under capabilities in /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/M68AP.plist

However the APN, username and password don't seem to want to save (although the rest do), and there's no camera icon in MobileSMS.app

So basically, kinda useless, but maybe somewill will manage to take that further.

Also, perhaps this thread should be re-named to 3.0 final?

iPhone? More like MyPhone 97vrsix's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a perfect 2G Iphone.. Not a problem with it.. Paid out the ***... I would love Firmware 3.0 But don't want to lose MMS.. Really. Upgrading, and not getting the new options.. Whats the difference? We get search now? Who cares!

I want the new features.. MMS, and such.. Video I can't wait for.. But I am not going to lose my MMS.. Forget that. Sorry.

If I can help anyone... Please let me know.. I'de love to help get it going.. Good work so far!!
    New unibody Macbook Pro, the jacked Model.. Iphone 2G, and 3G, 3G's, And 4G.

I am going to get this working, I swear. Let's do this together! Popple is on the right track it seems, but there must be some logic somewhere that is checking the model.

Also, we should consider starting a new thread and getting it marked sticky. Lets not let Apple screw us hard and bullsh!t us by saying our beloved 2G is inadequate!

I've also noticed something that may be of interest. It seems that binary files that manage tethering are chmod'd to 644 (not executable), while other binaries that do work are chmod'd to 755. When I try chmod the binaries to 755, they simply return to 644...

EDIT: Nevermind, they do stick to 755, but the tethering switch still crashes the phone
    Last edited by Popple3; 2009-06-21 at 02:12 AM.

Which apps manage tethering?

Did you try changing the M68AP.plist such that telephony-maximum-generation is 3?

They're not apps, but binaries within /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/WirelessModemSettings.bundle and /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/USBEthernetSharing.bundle

I tried changing telephony-maximum-generation to 3, but didn't work... I actually think in order to get this working, we need to get the tethering button to show up without editing Network.plist. That might sound crazy, but the Cellular Data Settings button in Network.plist is the same structure.
    Last edited by Popple3; 2009-06-22 at 03:18 PM.

so copy & pasteing pics no longer work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast