Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS 3.0b3 on 2g iPhone - activate MMS and Tethering

Quote Originally Posted by vsc View Post
    Which apps manage tethering?
    The main one is a background process, /usr/libexec/misd (mobile internet sharing daemon). Modifying plist files doesn't seem to work, and those two processes mentioned by Popple3 are part of the Settings app -- they aren't able to tether an internet connection, they just manage what is in the settings menu.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

Let's not give up on enabling tethering for the 1st generation iPhone. It can be done because the iPhone 3G can tether and if it can, so can our 1st generation iPhone. The only difference between the two is it's capability to use 3G and GPS. This should not hold us back.

You need to install iPhone OS 3.0 of course, doh !
    - Jailbreak it : link
    - Open Cydia
    - Install the application ActivateMMS2G
    - Reboot your iPhone

They got MMS working, that leaves just tethering.

I hear the jailbreak is not going to be released for the moment, so hopefully some Dev Team members get bored and find out how to do it!
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

Activate MMS On iPhone 2G ( First Gen ) | iPhone

I've tried this, but I can't get the "Messages ON" setting to appear. The MMS fields in Cellular data network do show up however.

UPDATE: I got the setting to appear after rebooting 4 times. Now the apn field in the MMS setting wont save, but the mmsc and the proxy do save. weird.
    Last edited by bobby_nguyen; 2009-06-29 at 09:35 PM.

I installed ActivateMMS2G w/o luck

I've rebooted more than four times with no MMS tab in message options. I catualy uninstalled the mod and reinstalled it. No luck here as well.

Any ideas?

If I get this fixed what should I enter in the Network settings for AT&T?

Installing the ATT carrier file from here:

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/iphonetetheringfile.dmg

And then modifying the State setting to 1023 in /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist got the toggle switch for Internet Tetherhing to show up on my 2G under Settings > General > Network. My mac recognized the connection, but it's showing as disconnected. Console shows this:

Wed Jul 1 11:59:53 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: virtual IOReturn AppleUSBDeviceMux::message(UInt32, IOService*, void*) - kMessageInterfaceWasDeActivated
    Wed Jul 1 11:59:53 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleUSBDeviceMux::reportStats: USB mux statistics:
    Wed Jul 1 11:59:53 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: USB mux: 1361 reads / 0 errors, 2259 writes / 0 errors
    Wed Jul 1 11:59:53 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: USB mux: 0 short packets, 0 dups
    Wed Jul 1 11:59:53 unknown /usr/libexec/ptpd[820] <Notice>: PTP interface has been deactivated.
    Wed Jul 1 11:59:53 unknown /usr/libexec/ptpd[820] <Notice>: PTP interface bas been activated at high speed.
    Wed Jul 1 11:59:54 unknown Preferences[943] <Warning>: BTM: setting discoverable status enabled
    Wed Jul 1 11:59:54 unknown Preferences[943] <Warning>: BTM: BTLocalDeviceSetDiscoverable returned error 111
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:19 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleUSBEthernetDevice::message: kIOUSBDeviceInterfaceMessageTypeSetAlternateSettin g, new alt-setting 1
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:19 unknown misd[946] <Notice>: carrier service is not available
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:19 unknown misd[946] <Error>: PDP[nowait]: Operation not supported
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:19 unknown misd[946] <Error>: unable to start com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.broadcast-0: Operation not supported
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:19 unknown configd[23] <Error>: usbeth_start_sharing:255 _MISStartServiceDHCP(0xeac3, en1, ) failed: 45
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:20 unknown Preferences[943] <Warning>: BTM: setting discoverable status disabled
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:20 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: virtual IOReturn AppleUSBDeviceMux::message(UInt32, IOService*, void*) - kMessageInterfaceWasDeActivated
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:20 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleUSBDeviceMux::reportStats: USB mux statistics:
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:20 unknown Preferences[943] <Warning>: BTM: BTLocalDeviceSetDiscoverable returned error 111
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:20 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: USB mux: 104 reads / 0 errors, 204 writes / 0 errors
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:20 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: USB mux: 0 short packets, 0 dups
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:20 unknown /usr/libexec/ptpd[820] <Notice>: PTP interface has been deactivated.
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:20 unknown /usr/libexec/ptpd[820] <Notice>: PTP interface bas been activated at high speed.
    Wed Jul 1 12:01:44 unknown misd[946] <Notice>: carrier service is not available

I used to have an aircard that worked for 2G and 3G. When no 3G service was available it would pick up Edge. What happens if there is no 3G service available for the iPhone? Perhaps someone with a 3G can test tethering somewhere without 3G service and see if tethering works? If so, we know it's simply settings of some type and not that it's specifically looking for a 3G connection.

**EDGE: Looks like the 3G will drop back to EDGE if 3G isn't available according to this guy's blog. So this proves that tethering can be done over edge using the built-in apple app:

http://www.taborcg.com/?p=145

Also, it'd be good if we could see the console output of someone with a 3G using tethering.

Also, there's work going on this over here:

iPhone 2G tethering with 3.0 - any news? - Hackint0sh
    Last edited by jefe1; 2009-07-01 at 07:04 PM.

Tried what jefe1 was saying and had the same result. It'll probably need a similar patch to ActivateMMS2G to get everything working right... Here's hoping it'll be soon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12