Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FULL backup of iTouch

Default FULL backup of iTouch
    I'm trying to create a full backup of my iTouch so that I can test out the OS 3.0 beta and, should I not like it, I can do a full restore and have my iTouch back exactly like it was. I'm not talking about the crap backup that iTunes will do. So far, all I've come up with is creating a tarball of both partition from my iTouch to my Macbook over wifi (very time consuming). Right now its tarballing the /var partition and probably won't be done for another decade.

My three questions are: Will this work?, What is the correct command to create a tarball of the first partition, leaving out /var?, and What is the correct command to extract the two tarballs to the correct partitions?

Another thing I just thought of is, Can I create one tarball of the entire hard drive, install the beta and test it, and then extract that one tarball to my iTouch and have the /var folder put on the second partition or will it try to put it on the first partition?
    Last edited by lightmaster; 2009-03-19 at 05:16 PM.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That is *exactly* what I would like to know! I hope someone can provide an answer... I'd like to not have to JB it all over again, etc...

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

or you could just use appbackup and aptbackup from cydia then do a backup in itunes.

ok it wont save themes and things
    but it will save the basics like what themes u installed along with all the apps and app saves from appstore.

then all u need to worry about is "tarballing":S the videos and things from cycorder.

this should cut down your 'Decade' to about 20 minutes
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    or you could just use appbackup and aptbackup from cydia then do a backup in itunes.

ok it wont save themes and things
    but it will save the basics like what themes u installed along with all the apps and app saves from appstore.

then all u need to worry about is "tarballing":S the videos and things from cycorder.

this should cut down your 'Decade' to about 20 minutes
    I've had a lot of bad luck with iTunes' "backup" feature not working at all. Also, neither of the programs save the settings a data for Cydia apps and I have a lot of music on my iTouch that I don't have on my computer anymore and my computer isn't authorized to play. And those two apps won't save my folders from Categories, which I spent quite a while setting up.

I did the math on it and it won't quite take a decade. It will take about 24 hours.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)