Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: optimizing performance

Default optimizing performance
    I know many members here feel that "If it aint broke, dont fix it", but I am the type of person who cant help but to tinker with things. On my phone, I have many resource eaters constantly running in the background (SBsettings, vWallpaper, biteSMS, Winterboard, and sometimes I background Pandora). With the limited ram and processing power on our phones, these programs slow things down considerably.

So I began to wonder if it would be possible to use programs to (or even manualy) remove redundant code, unnecessary files and the like. Or even use third party applications that use less resources in place of stock apps such as mail or safari to bring overall performance back to par.

Ill admit, I know next to nothing about coding and writing programs etc, but I'm sure there are members on here who have poked around their phones enough and know whether or not any of this can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by masonjar chemist View Post
    So I began to wonder if it would be possible to use programs to (or even manualy) remove redundant code, unnecessary files and the like.
    It's good that you're thinking about these things but your question sound a bit funny because as you've stated, and is clear by your question, you have no experience coding.

I'm not trying to make fun of you; we all start out as beginners at some point. But it is a bit humorous really. It's a bit like a cave man asking if those aliens could please make their space ships with prettier rocks. You can't think about how something should work without learning how it works now.

For instance saying "remove redundant code" is a bit silly. I mean can you define redundant? Like you want my code to use the code from someone else's app without any kind of interface? And how would you even get to the source code to view "redundant code?" And how would you even figure out if the code is redundant? Even if two functions have the same code signature they can be doing wildly different things behind the scenes. Saying something like that is anathema to the encapsulation pillar of OOP. You don't get to know, nor should you, what my code does internally, for you it just works.

But again it is good that you are interested in these things. Do this; go watch the "Getting Started" videos for iPhone development, get just a tiny idea of what programming is like. You can even download the SDK and Xcode for free and develop apps on a simulated iPhone. You might find this little spark of interest starts you on a whole new journey.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMack007's Avatar
    Thanks

damn!! that was a bit harsh to say the least. In any event, the facts you pointed out remain valid, but surely throwing out such questions in the first place may do what the original poster intended, attract the attention of a developer or someone who DOES know how this can be achieved.

As is though, the only solution I know of at present is to use apps such as a memory manager that allows one to stop running proceses which in turn frees up available RAM.

Hope this helps in the interim, until some clever developer with coding experience comes up with some sort of overclocking utility.

Quote Originally Posted by iMack007 View Post
    damn!! that was a bit harsh to say the least.
    I apologize if I sounded harsh. I though I was very friendly, just being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by iMack007 View Post
    In any event, the facts you pointed out remain valid, but surely throwing out such questions in the first place may do what the original poster intended, attract the attention of a developer or someone who DOES know how this can be achieved.
    I am a developer and have been for a few decades. The one part about reusing redundant code is basically a good idea and is the way we work by using frameworks, APIs, etc. But the part where he says to go into other people's code and remove redundant code goes against everything that's good and right in the world of OOP.

It can't be done the way he's saying and that's my point. It's like a cave man speculating how how to make a space ship go faster. He has no reference so he's just going to say nonsensical things and will be ignored as someone not willing to "learn the language."

We get a lot of this in the software business so we tend to just ignore these people that want to tell us how to do things without knowing anything about them. We usually call those people "managers."

Imagine if you were a medical doctor and someone told you to, "Just make everyone's inside good." Or if you were an airline pilot and your boss told you to, "Just make the plane go faster." Or if you were a general and the president ordered you to, "Just invade that country."

You see? I'm not being mean. I'm just pointing out that if you want to discuss a thing or improve a thing it's good to go do some research first before coming to any conclusions. It's great to think about how things might work, that's how people come up with new ideas, but don't let that stop you from learning how they actually work.

Again if I sounded harsh that was not my intent so I apologize if I offend you.